*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 6) Leaking Roof

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

MK 6) Leaking Roof

Postby shade82000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi all...

My SWB MK6 leaks water through the back of the roof, about 6 inches in from the rear where there used to be a join or a rubber seal. I think it's because it's got a lift-up tailgate and when it is opened the roof flexes a bit. Over time I think it's come loose and now whenever it rains I can't put anything in the back or it will get wet. I guess it probably doesn't happen on the vans with normal twin doors.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so is there a recommended way to fix it?

I know a guy who does welding but he does old VW vans and I have been waiting months for him to do mine. I really don't think he wants to do it cos it's not a VW.

If there's anyone on here who is near to me (Luton) and does welding then I would be very interested. I would do all the painting and finishing, I think I just need a metal strip welded across the inside if the roof.

Thanks...Ell.
shade82000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Leaking Roof

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Quite common across the full range of low roof vans on that year and was later modified to stop it happening. Best thing to do is clean the join out and reseal it with panel seal.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Flymo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:05 pm

I had a similar problem with my semi high roof att he joint at the front. I went to a local double glazing company and got sealant and it has never leaked since, touch wood
Flymo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby shade82000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Cool, it seems like I don't need to get it welded then...sounds like a job for a pot of kurust and some seam sealer or silicone.

Thanks for all the links, I guess it's not just my van...
shade82000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 pm

But not silicone as said in some of those links. Panel seal as I suggested.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby shade82000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Is seam sealer the same as panel seal?

I was just going to buy some seam sealer, it doesn't say anything about having silicone in it. Here's a link to what I was going to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOSEAL-BODY-SEA ... 53e62b1f0e

I guess that whatever I put on there needs to be flexible or it will just crack again when I open the door.
shade82000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby shade82000 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm

I got that seam sealer from ebay and did it last weekend. I cleaned and brushed out the loose rust, painted on a load of Kurust, then sealed along the join, masked it and painted over the top.

That was a week ago, hopefully it's worked but sod's law it's been sunny for 8 days now.

I could tip some water over the roof to test it but I polished it last weekend as well and I don't want to ruin the shine. Will just wait for the rain...
shade82000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Leaking Roof MK6

Postby frog_southampton » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 pm

did this resolve your leakey roof problem?
I have a mk6 low roof and leaks right at the back on the joint and leaks in to the rear lights,
frog_southampton
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:13 pm

As said, it's a very common failing on mk6, clean the joint and seal with seam sealer or tiger seal NOT silicon and that will sort it
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby skipster 2011 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am

Hi, had same problem with my van. Got some underseal and just applied all along the joint with my finger applying it nice n thick. Instantly became waterproof as it rained about an hour after doing it but back of van was dry so problem cured.
Regards
skipster 2011

Postby bootz 1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 pm

i did have the same problem as i have a swb tailgate its pointless getting it welded. the best way to never ever have a leak is to lightly sand the area ontop of roof mask the strip with at least a 2inch space etheir side along the lenght of the effected are normally the full width of van use an red oxxy rust repelent spay let that dry use a high quilty external mastic not silicon as that will break down over time that is a big no no i honestly wouldnt bother with pannel seal as it will eventually crack over time as it has done an will do FACT. apply a nice thick strip along join with this heavy duty mastic normally an external 1 used for roof/gutters etc normally black it will take many weeks to compelety go off dont be alarmed by that time scale it will be water tight straight away bu will allow plenty of movement in future. while the area is still masked apply waxoll under body seal or schollts and belive me water just runs off i done mine 6 years ago and never have i needed to touch it.
bootz 1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby xychix » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:27 am

get yourself some of this black bitume waste from a garage or other flat roof. If the holes are very small just hold a lighter underneath it and drip some on there, wait a sec and massage it in the hole (clean the hole first offcourse.) for bigger holes one could heat a piece of bitume untill it's quite sticky and slam that on. (make it really sticky with a gas-burner).

I've used this technique on a old container (where the water stays on the roof) before paiting it. Tried to weld it first but my Arc-Welding technique just burned trough the roof (I'm a noob on welding)
xychix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daffodil1003 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 am

[quote="shade82000"]Is seam sealer the same as panel seal?

I was just going to buy some seam sealer, it doesn't say anything about having silicone in it. Here's a link to what I was going to buy:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOSEAL-BODY-SEAM-SEALER-300ML-CARTRIDGE-/360343871246?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item53e62b1f0e[/url]

I guess that whatever I put on there needs to be flexible or it will just crack again when I open the door.[/quote]

Such a very amazing link!

Postby TIMO » Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 am

[quote="daffodil1003"][quote="shade82000"]Is seam sealer the same as panel seal?

[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOSEAL-BODY-SEAM-SEALER-300ML-CARTRIDGE-/360343871246?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item53e62b1f0e[/url]

I guess that whatever I put on there needs to be flexible or it will just crack again when I open the door.[/quote]

Such a very amazing link! That will do it but i would rather use tigerseal.
Remapped by Vantuner

Next

Return to Frequently asked questions!!