*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

AWD?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

AWD?

Postby skutter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 pm

A 2009 transit with AWD has come up for sale local to me (in Sweden) Figure the AWD could be a good feature given the climate and my work - though managed with rearwheel drive and a portable winch for long enough. Any one have any experience of these? anything to look out for?
Cheers in advance
Skutt
skutter

Re: AWD?

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

skutter wrote:A 2009 transit with AWD has come up for sale local to me (in Sweden) Figure the AWD could be a good feature given the climate and my work - though managed with rearwheel drive and a portable winch for long enough. Any one have any experience of these? anything to look out for?
Cheers in advance
Skutt

Although they are out there, they're actually pretty rare and we don't hear much about them...good or bad..! :wink: :?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby richgold » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Sounds to me like it would be subject to all the usual faults that either a RWD or FWD would suffer from, but with the added worry/expense of extra drivetrain parts failing.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 4door4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 am

I know these exist but never seen one in the flesh. If anyone can post pics of the drivetrain layout I would be really interested. I've never found anything using a web image search.

I'd be keen to know if they are east/west with a 90 degree transfer case for the prop shaft, or if they are they north/south like a subaru? If they are north/south then do the front axles take a steep angle to enter the gearbox behind the clutch? Or is the engine mounted further forward? And is it a special version of the MT82 gearbox with a built in centre diff or something else entirely? I want to buy one in the distant future for ski trips but need to weigh up the serviceability first.
4door4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 am

4door4 wrote:I know these exist but never seen one in the flesh. If anyone can post pics of the drivetrain layout I would be really interested. I've never found anything using a web image search.

I'd be keen to know if they are east/west with a 90 degree transfer case for the prop shaft, or if they are they north/south like a subaru? If they are north/south then do the front axles take a steep angle to enter the gearbox behind the clutch? Or is the engine mounted further forward? And is it a special version of the MT82 gearbox with a built in centre diff or something else entirely? I want to buy one in the distant future for ski trips but need to weigh up the serviceability first.

It's still a N-S engine setup but has a transfer case etc...There's a few pics of it in the parts catalogue here which will give us half an idea.:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... U0NDUrMTMz

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... MzA3MDc%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits