*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sudden power loss, very Diesel knocky!!!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sudden power loss, very Diesel knocky!!!

Postby jumbo 57 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Hello friends,

I'm sure this has been asked countless times, but I'm special and I want my own thread :lol:

2005 (05) Lwb RWD 90hp.

Ok, so I've had the van 3 years, and it's been pretty much trouble free....apart from a dicky starter/ring gear?? and maybe a lethargic timing tensioner (starts on button from cold, that's a lie, I always give it two glow cycles, 3 in the depths of winter)

Anyway, once started it has always ran perfect, apart from it being slightly low in the power dept. (it's a 90)

So, back to yesterday, it starts ok, but is quite loud, Diesel knock loud, and low on power, it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and struggled on hills.

At one point on the road the loudness abated, until I accelerated again.

What have I done? Well, not much really, I have whipped the EGR off, it was pretty clean so refitted, I have poked about the turbo wastegate rod, it is not seized, I really don't know what is wrong as I hear of pump issues, injector issues, turbo issues.

I'd love some advice from anyone as to where I go from here, please.

Thankyou kindly.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Sudden power loss, very Diesel knocky!!!

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 am

Being an 05 90 she'll be TDDi...and I'd suspect the timing solenoid on the back of the pump....pretty common problem I believe..

Flashing glow plug light..?? Have you had the codes read..?? That'll give a good indication of where to start looking..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 pm

knobby1 wrote:Being an 05 90 she'll be TDDi...and I'd suspect the timing solenoid on the back of the pump....pretty common problem I believe..

Flashing glow plug light..?? Have you had the codes read..?? That'll give a good indication of where to start looking..

Lord Knobrot

Thankyou @Knobby1
I have an autel, and for the life of me I can't remember where the diag socket is, anyone :?:

Also, is it safe to run it in this state :? :?:

Lastly, is this a Diy job to replace the solenoid and where best to purchase one.

Thanks if you can help at all. :)
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi again,
The only worry I have is Do I have an ENGINE timing issue, you see almost since I've had it it has been a randomly quirky starter, and I have always felt it may have been a timing chain issue.

If you started it up from cold, it would run but for the initial second or three it would not respond to the throttle, I feel I ought to mention that little omission.

I tried my autel reader but I'm getting a linking error.

Any trusted and capable garages in Inverness area I could get the codes read?

Thanks.

I found this in technical, excellent guide.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162925
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Ok,

Had codes read locally, there were 3 but he erased them when my back was turned!

One was for EGR,
One was the P0149 (timing)
One was for brakes?

Anyway, once he cleared them I was asked to give it a run on the road, upon returning he had put the diag. away. :x :x

Long and short it's still low on power but idles fine.

I have disconnected the EGR but it's no better. The glow plug icon flashes when EGR is disconnected, but no flashing with it's connected.

I'm veering towards the fuel timing solenoid as the culprit, does anybody have a source for this part at a good price?

Thanks.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I've had a look online, without a PN I'm kinda in the dark guys,

I'd be happy if it was this sort sort of money, others are nearer £200.

Is this the one I need, I'd love to fix it over the coming weekend. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... SwIjJZSkPm

Thanks.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 am

jumbo 57 wrote:I've had a look online, without a PN I'm kinda in the dark guys,

I'd be happy if it was this sort sort of money, others are nearer £200.

Is this the one I need, I'd love to fix it over the coming weekend. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... SwIjJZSkPm

Thanks.

No...Yours is a Mk6 and doesn't have one of the valves you linked to, it's for a Mk7 with a "Common Rail" fuel system...You'll need the Mk6 TDDi Timing solenoid. Something like this one....:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BOSC ... SwXeJYCQka

But there are two pump type for the Mk6...a VP-30 and a VP-44...with your engine being a 90 TDDi I'd suggest it has a VP-30 pump..

I'm not saying this "IS" your issue though...it's just a suggestion.

Lord Knobrot.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 am

Thank you LKR.... :)

The brief time in the garage yesterday threw up the P0149 code, (could be historic) and they muttered that it doesn't sound like a skipped chain.
They cleared the code but it has probably returned.

Yes, I feared my link to a solenoid was wrong, wishful thinking an all that!

I thought I read on here of the solenoid costing £60-80, maybe from Nissan?

I wonder if someone can enlighten me as to which pump I might have, so I can at least source the part I'd appreciate it.

Maybe I'll pm the guy who wrote the technical guide.

Thanks.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi all,

My intention was to fit a new pump timing solenoid, but after a brief chat with an outfit that sell rebuilt virginized pumps I'm not so sure.
The problem is money, I am told that the solenoid is North of £200 and may not actually fix the issue, he also told me the original pumps are garbage?

The engine I have is an unknown quantity, but has always run good, and still does.....at idle.

What do I do, these 'new' pumps are £600 inc V & T.

Do I check the timing chain?
Would a collapsed silencer cause this?

To reiterate, engine starts on the button, idles fine as normal, but just moving off on the clutch with no throttle you can hear the knockiness, and it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Thing is, it's not mine, it belongs to a charity who have limited funds, I just don't want to empty their coffers going down a blind alley.

Please advise if you can.

Thank you.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:Hi all,

My intention was to fit a new pump timing solenoid, but after a brief chat with an outfit that sell rebuilt virginized pumps I'm not so sure.
The problem is money, I am told that the solenoid is North of £200 and may not actually fix the issue, he also told me the original pumps are garbage?

The engine I have is an unknown quantity, but has always run good, and still does.....at idle.

What do I do, these 'new' pumps are £600 inc V & T.

Do I check the timing chain?
Would a collapsed silencer cause this?

To reiterate, engine starts on the button, idles fine as normal, but just moving off on the clutch with no throttle you can hear the knockiness, and it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Thing is, it's not mine, it belongs to a charity who have limited funds, I just don't want to empty their coffers going down a blind alley.

Please advise if you can. Thank you.

I still believe you have a timing solenoid issue...it's very common on TDDi machines and your symptoms certainly point to it..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Ok Knobby,

Thanks for the support.

I suppose I've got to start with that. I shall report back next week hopefully. :wink:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 pm

I should add, no glow plug flashing.

It flashed repeatedly when I disconnected the egr, but that's back on now with no more flashing.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:36 pm

As Knobby has said, I went through this issue and changed timing solenoid, fixed issue also a good time to make sure timing is spot on. I had to take pump out to change solenoid not a pleasant job but couldn't get to solenoid in-situ and all bolts were seized. Noticed an immediate difference in power and no more knocking after changing. Still is a slug though also 90ps but my re-mapped ecu should be hear monday which should take it to 125ish :-)
I think I saved all the guides etc in a folder somewhere of the process if you need any info I can shoot it through to you

Cheers
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris :)

Yes, I'm on the case with it, currently awaiting call back from dealer parts dept.

Regarding fitting, I found a guide in Technical section which I believe is for the RWD, I think the author of that guide managed to do it in situ after removing the starter motor and EGR valve etc, so I'm aiming to leave the pump in at the moment.

Will report back whenever I do it, if the part is in stock I may summon the energy to attempt it today/tomorrow. :cry:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Part not held in stock, will have by Tues. :!:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits