*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2008 Mk7 injector problems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2008 Mk7 injector problems

Postby chillman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Guys I am new to the forum, I have a 2008 Mk7 swb 2.4 140 330 common rail. I have a power train light on, I have scanned it and the fault code says that it needs the pilot fuel trim done. When I try and do it the engine stops and I get a message that says conditions not met. I have followed the steps the the scan tool sets out but it still won't do it.
The engine is has a fair bit of diesel knock when idling cold but gets better as it warms up.
The other issue I have is that when I cold start in the morning the taco won't work and the charge light is on also no throttle, after a few restarts its fine until it cools down again.
Any ideas out there?
chillman

Re: 2008 Mk7 injector problems

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm

chillman wrote:Hi Guys I am new to the forum, I have a 2008 Mk7 swb 2.4 140 330 common rail. I have a power train light on, I have scanned it and the fault code says that it needs the pilot fuel trim done. When I try and do it the engine stops and I get a message that says conditions not met. I have followed the steps the the scan tool sets out but it still won't do it.
The engine is has a fair bit of diesel knock when idling cold but gets better as it warms up.
The other issue I have is that when I cold start in the morning the taco won't work and the charge light is on also no throttle, after a few restarts its fine until it cools down again.
Any ideas out there?

What scantool are you using..?? Also, what oil are you running in the engine..?? Fuel filter replaced recently..??

You may have a faulty SCV and/or PRV which can cause the learns to fail. Would pay to do an injector "leak-off" test to see if your injectors are still in the ballpark.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby v8dave » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Tacho, charge light and no throttle will be a failing battery - yes really :!:
If you have twin batteries it will be the non start related one that's going.

Your injection learn fail could be battery related, too much alternator load is stalling the engine when the learn process dumps the fuel pressure after the first learn cycle.
However, I'd guess on a 9 year old van if the injectors are original it will be excessive leak-off.
Are your air, oil and fuel filters new. Does it have the correct grade of oil in the engine.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby chillman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:37 am

Thanks Guys
I am using a Gscan to scan, oil is 5w 30 as recommended by Ford new fuel filter new oil filter new air filter van runs perfect when hot even good fuel economy. The battery idea is worth a look I will test it. I have done a leak down test which it passes fuel pressure is in spec. Bit of history I bought the van not running the injector bolt had come loose on 1&2 injectors. removed all the injectors replaced the seals and copper washers re cut the seats. made sure that the injectors went back in the right locations. The PCM says that it has a history code for open circuit on number 1 so I think that it may have been replaced at some stage. The van has got 170ks on the clock drives really well aside from these problems.
I will have a look at the battery situation and get back to you. Same as over there the local Ford dealer is not much help but happy to charge you.
Thanks for your help
chillman

Postby chillman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:05 am

Hi guys
I downloaded FORScan and run the tests, it came back saying that the engine is demanding more fuel than would normally be expected? This is nice software works quite well, I have checked both the battery's and they are about 3 years old but both test OK. so I am going the checkout the alternator on a test bench and see what comes from that.
Regards Chris
chillman

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits