*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

occasional power loss on mk6

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

occasional power loss on mk6

Postby wideboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am

Now this ones got me stumped.

I have a tddi mk6 100bhp with an occasional power loss problem. Basically at the start of a journey its got plenty of power and pulls well through all gears but after a few miles it goes gutless, it's hard to explain but the best way I can is when you put your foot down in low gears the turbo is none existent. It gets to the point where the turbo should spall up (which it does) but there's no power or at least no where near the amount it should have. Some times it runs perfect throughout the entire journey but that is rare. It hasn't really bothered me until the past few weeks as the van is usually kept relatively empty or carrys light loads but I was carrying a load the other week and it was painfully slow, it wasn't a massive weight but it would only get 40mph up slip roads and I was lucky to see 70mph on the motorway. Overtaking lorries was impossible unless down hill.

I was convinced it was the egr valve at the weekend after repeatedly pulling over and unplugging the vacuum pipe and sensor when I had full power to notice it went gutless (I did it three times whilst driving the same journey). Yesterday I made up a blanking plate and blanked it off but after this morning its clear that it hasn't done anything. I left home with full power, got on the motorway with full power, then as I came off there was no traffic I tried it and yep it was gutless again.

The only thing I can think of is gunk and crap in the intakes as I haven't cleaned it out yet but I would that give intermittent power loss? An air flow sensor buggered or gunked up? Or a iffy fuel pump? Apart from this the van runs sweet as a nut, no strange noises, no error lights, no lumpy running and starts on the key.

I appreciate this may sound like it's me getting complacent with the performance throughout the journey but it's not lol.
wideboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: occasional power loss on mk6

Postby ake » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 pm

The egr must work correctly even if blanked, or it will generate fault codes, and possibly put it into limp
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby gemztar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 am

our mk6 transit tourneo does the exact same thing its the reason why ive joined this forum and luckily seen your post. just no power every now and again some journeys it does it a few times some journeys none at all we are lucky to get 60 flat out on a motorway. its the most annoying thing. called the aa out they did a diagnostics and a timing issue came up so took it garage twice who could find no fault whilst on test drive or diagnostics. we are stumped and have a very long trip to do soon. does anyone have any idea what it is or have similar symptoms that have been fixed x
gemztar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wideboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm

sorry I've been away

ake wrote:The egr must work correctly even if blanked, or it will generate fault codes, and possibly put it into limp

This would actually explain a lot. I didn't realise the TDDI had a limp mode? I'll try to explain better what happens. When the motor is cold i have full power, when i get the problem its usually after about 5 mins of up to temperature running. The van begins to pull like it should but just when the turbo kicks in with some good boost the power cuts like a switch has been flicked and there is nothing. i was starting to think there was something wrong with the turbo as there's not the usual induction roar when i have the power loss situation. so if it there is a limp mode this would explain it.

if the EGR is sticking will it log a fault into the computer memory so when its plugged into the IDS even if i have full power at that time it will still show up?

gemztar wrote:our mk6 transit tourneo does the exact same thing its the reason why ive joined this forum and luckily seen your post. just no power every now and again some journeys it does it a few times some journeys none at all we are lucky to get 60 flat out on a motorway. its the most annoying thing. called the aa out they did a diagnostics and a timing issue came up so took it garage twice who could find no fault whilst on test drive or diagnostics. we are stumped and have a very long trip to do soon. does anyone have any idea what it is or have similar symptoms that have been fixed x

when my lack of power starts (after about 5-10 mins) it last for the rest of the journey until the van is left for a good few hours
wideboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wideboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:32 am

An update to those interested.

Looks to be fixed now. Wasn't anything to do with the egr. Eventually got it to my mates work for a free ids and data log session, originally threw up fault codes for reduced fuel pressure. This could have been from some time ago so cleared them and went for a bimble. About 5 mins in it started and my mate witnessed to fuel pressure take a huge drop on the data logging and also could see how it was requesting reduced fuel afterwards. Also threw up the fuel fault again.

Anyway turned out to be the fuel pump slightly out of time. It had a new pump put in when I bought it so the pleb didn't get the timing right. 30 mins later I'm on my way home with full power and so far today I've had full power :-D. Let's hope its sorted.

Cheers people's
wideboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby decoradesigndec » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 am

wideboy wrote:An update to those interested.

Looks to be fixed now. Wasn't anything to do with the egr. Eventually got it to my mates work for a free ids and data log session, originally threw up fault codes for reduced fuel pressure. This could have been from some time ago so cleared them and went for a bimble. About 5 mins in it started and my mate witnessed to fuel pressure take a huge drop on the data logging and also could see how it was requesting reduced fuel afterwards. Also threw up the fuel fault again.

Anyway turned out to be the fuel pump slightly out of time. It had a new pump put in when I bought it so the pleb didn't get the timing right. 30 mins later I'm on my way home with full power and so far today I've had full power :-D. Let's hope its sorted.

Cheers people's
I bloody new it was timing mines been doing it for 2 years solid. The vans never let me down only the power after a new pump was fitted. No garage wants to even attempt it. I've been waiting for this post for a long time. New fuel filter cleaned egr and intake manifold played about with the turbo and actuator oil and filter changes BG244 Fuel cleaner air filters you name it I've been there MAF SENSOR pmsl. I'm getting the tools out again going to try timing tuning. If no joy its got to be fuel timing solinoide replacement. I'll keep an update on the outcome for those who are looking for the answers.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
decoradesigndec

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 am

This thread is well over 4 years old now so I doubt the OP is still around, he hasn't been active on this forum since July 2014..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby misterdog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am

Always good to get a positive outcome logged in though.

Mine throws up EGR fault,I didnt know it had to be functioning for engine management. Mk 6 TDDI

I thought it was OK to just blank the vacuum pipe to it ?

There seems to be no vacuum supply to it, even after I remove the nail :o
2002 Mk6 90 T350 2.4TDDI
misterdog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 pm

misterdog wrote:Always good to get a positive outcome logged in though.

Mine throws up EGR fault,I didnt know it had to be functioning for engine management. Mk 6 TDDI

I thought it was OK to just blank the vacuum pipe to it ?

There seems to be no vacuum supply to it, even after I remove the nail :o

If the EGR valve is stuck in the open position, there's not much use plugging the vacuum supply....it'll still be stuck open. On the Mk6's I believe there's a solenoid which activates the vacuum to the EGR, maybe it's faulty..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes there is a solenoid for the egr down by the air box. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby soulysurfer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 am

heard that also something in the turbo mechanism can get stuck/blocked that can cause similar power issues. I've had similar issues for whole time i've had my van. I've been told it needs a new fuel pump. Although was wondering if it was just the timing. It seems to guzzle fuel aswell... wonder if timing would cause this? Anyway, I've had enough of the old beast now. Going to get a berlingo whilst my smiley refurbishment is under way ;)
A man with a Van is like a Beaver with a log.
soulysurfer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits