*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2005 tipper transit just stopped

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2005 tipper transit just stopped

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:21 pm

Anyone help, i turned a corner and it cut out, i look at gauges, temp gauge was max, there is oil and water and engine wasn’t even hot, its 3 hrs later temp gauge still max, try to start fires for a second and cuts out, temp gauge varies from half to max. Ive had diagnostic xtool D8 on the van, no communication to van, I believe they dont have ecu this 2.4 diesel one but a PCM… no communication, could it be a fuse? Plenty fuel, water and oil. Im baffled
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2005 tipper transit just stopped

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Anyone help, i turned a corner and it cut out, i look at gauges, temp gauge was max, there is oil and water and engine wasn’t even hot, its 3 hrs later temp gauge still max, try to start fires for a second and cuts out, temp gauge varies from half to max. Ive had diagnostic xtool D8 on the van, no communication to van, I believe they dont have ecu this 2.4 diesel one but a PCM… no communication, could it be a fuse? Plenty fuel, water and oil. Im baffled

Your CHT (Cylinder Head Temp) sensor is done for, the PCM "thinks" the engine is overheating and is shutting the engine down to prevent further damage..

Mk6 machines are "NOT" OBD-II compliant, the Xtool D8 is OBD-II, so it and 99% of the newer readers won't work....you need Forscan onto it.

The D8 Xtool is very expensive and probably works fine on most OBD-II machines, but not on Mk6 Transits. Forscan is "FREE" to download and works perfectly on all Mk6 and later Transits.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:42 am

knobby1 wrote:
gsc1ugs wrote:Anyone help, i turned a corner and it cut out, i look at gauges, temp gauge was max, there is oil and water and engine wasn’t even hot, its 3 hrs later temp gauge still max, try to start fires for a second and cuts out, temp gauge varies from half to max. Ive had diagnostic xtool D8 on the van, no communication to van, I believe they dont have ecu this 2.4 diesel one but a PCM… no communication, could it be a fuse? Plenty fuel, water and oil. Im baffled

Your CHT (Cylinder Head Temp) sensor is done for, the PCM "thinks" the engine is overheating and is shutting the engine down to prevent further damage..

Mk6 machines are "NOT" OBD-II compliant, the Xtool D8 is OBD-II, so it and 99% of the newer readers won't work....you need Forscan onto it.

The D8 Xtool is very expensive and probably works fine on most OBD-II machines, but not on Mk6 Transits. Forscan is "FREE" to download and works perfectly on all Mk6 and later Transits.

Lord Knobrot

What location is temp sensor please? Is it back of the cylinder head? What is best way to get to it?

Thanks for info
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 am

An update, i found the lead, looks like a nightmare to change, I unplugged the lead to try start, nothing, i then plugged lead back in, gauge acted normally, van started ….

Drove around gauge creeping up as it should, what do i do from here??? What is best access if i change sensor please?
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranmx2 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 am

You may have made good the connection on the connector - you may have moved the wiring (which could be broken) to make a good contact.
It takes about 7 mins for the engine to reach operating temperature whilst driving it.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:18 am

tranmx2 wrote:You may have made good the connection on the connector - you may have moved the wiring (which could be broken) to make a good contact.
It takes about 7 mins for the engine to reach operating temperature whilst driving it.

The temp gauge is acting normally again but i cant risk breaking down so for what they cost was gonna fit a new one, i just need know best approach to get to it
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:
tranmx2 wrote:You may have made good the connection on the connector - you may have moved the wiring (which could be broken) to make a good contact.

The temp gauge is acting normally again but i cant risk breaking down so for what they cost was gonna fit a new one, i just need know best approach to get to it

You need a long "slotted" 15mm socket to remove and refit the sensor. As you've found, it lives on the back of the cyl head...pig of a thing to get at.

Sometimes you can get at it from underneath.

6870_Left.jpg

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Wed May 01, 2024 9:48 am

Great thanks i’ll edit solved but now its acting normally was it a bad connection?
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gsc1ugs » Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 am

Nowhere to click solved, should be a feature
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed May 01, 2024 11:37 am

you don't actually know if it was bad connection , nobody on here can answer that nut you, your the person working on it, bad connection, broken wire or faulty sensor, unless you've physically found the actual problem 100% then it's .....
HOPEFULLY SORTED

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat May 04, 2024 3:45 pm

I need keep this open at moment because trying to locate this sensor as caused more headache, there are two pipes covering the sensor so impossible to get a socket on, has anyone changed one and what did you do about the pipes in the way?
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:I need keep this open at moment because trying to locate this sensor as caused more headache, there are two pipes covering the sensor so impossible to get a socket on, has anyone changed one and what did you do about the pipes in the way?

Pipes...or hoses..?? The EGR Cooler lives around the back of the cyl head. Just remove the hoses to gain access if required.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun May 05, 2024 11:51 am

They are pipes and me thinks they go to heater matrix
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits