*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cold starting of direct injected diesel engines.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Cold starting of direct injected diesel engines.

Postby Mr Gas it » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm

VAN DIESEL

Thanks guys, it sounds as if it doesn't matter whether you depress the accelerator whilst starting or not, if some electronic gizmo ignores it anyway!
Mr Gas it
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby RLHaulage » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 pm

hi all,been a while as upto now the vans been fine,but as of last night(cold weather) itll start but run rough,after a few minutes and plumes of unburnt diesel and the fire brigade turning up,itll start to pick up but no way is it drivable,checked air filter thats fine, is this the awkward job of glow plugs? is there a way to actually check there getting hot wothout removal? is it possible that its a fuse? thanks in advance you very knowledgeable lot !!
RLHaulage
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stacker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:59 am

Not 100% sure but I expect there is a way with Ford IDS or a similar tool, I know with my old Sprinter they could check on Mercedes Star if they worked, the fuse blows if they are dead!
2006 Transit Jumbo 115PS - Had it stolen, written off and now brought back - SOLD!
2010 Transit Jumbo 140PS Sea Grey - Still going on 227k! - Jan '19
2005 Transit LWB Hi Top 135PS -Sold, thank god
Stacker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Stacker wrote:Not 100% sure but I expect there is a way with Ford IDS or a similar tool, I know with my old Sprinter they could check on Mercedes Star if they worked, the fuse blows if they are dead!

No, ids cannot test glowplugs, best way is to disconnect wiring from plugs, and touch a link wire between positive of battery and top of plug,
no spark - dead,
big spark - short (knackered),
small spark - ok
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Stacker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:42 pm

That told me!! Learn something new every day :-)
2006 Transit Jumbo 115PS - Had it stolen, written off and now brought back - SOLD!
Stacker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Stacker wrote:That told me!! Learn something new every day :-)

There is a fuse in the under bonnet fuse box for glowplugs on mk7
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Stacker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:45 pm

ake wrote:
Stacker wrote:That told me!! Learn something new every day :-)

There is a fuse in the under bonnet fuse box for glowplugs on mk7

Yeah I wasn't sure but thought there was...
I remember the Sprinters have some weird resistor or something that goes and you can buy a modded fusebox so you can change it when you change the glow plugs when they've gone, otherwise you will always have problems but when I took mine in it said one of the glow plugs had gone...
Stacker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vdub88 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi there. Was reading through all the information related to 2.2tdci 2005 transit hard to start from cold.
I have the same issue at present. Using live data I have noticed the Timing angle is reading -1.5' @ idle. My suggestion would be a stretched Timing chain or a failed tensioner. Eventually the Van will start and always starts when warm.There is no fault related to this issue in the pcm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)
Vdub88

Postby CROSSFIREROB » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Mine was a bitch to start , took off the alternator , turned out the regulator had gone on it, even though it was still charging but not enough volts , now battery gets full charge it starts every time , even in this freezing weather in the mornings ,old bannan engine no glow plugs .
Rockin and a rollin all day long !
CROSSFIREROB
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby whitevanman38102 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:56 pm

my old work van was a real pain to get going in a cold morning mk6 2.5 dropside. always had to boost the battery and when it started it would not idle so you had sit there to hold the throttle for a while. once it warmed up it was fine though hope i dont have that trouble with my van lol.
whitevanman38102
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby joew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:04 pm

hello i have a 2.4tddi rwd 90s, and take ages to start in the morning, whilst cranking it smokes alot of white smoke, once started it runs mint whilst driving, but if i leave to tick over it starts trying to bog out and again clouds of white smoke, but if i turn off it restarts straight away, but then if i leave it for over an hour will struggle to start help please iv tryed alorts, *new starter * fuel filtre housing * air filter * checked for fuel leaks * iv put one way valves on still no fix its sending me crazy
joew
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby scas » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 am

just my observation- i know most people say that a direct injection engine doesnt need glowplugs to start and that on a 2.4 they're only there for emissions.
my transit became a bitch to start this winter, clouds of unburnt diesel, cranking for a while and once started, it was fine. i had a look at the fusable wire and it was broken. i found one glowplug had the core broken from the body, changed it, fixed the fusable wire and it starts instantly in the cold mornings now.
so my guess is the glowplugs do more than just emissions
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:17 pm

scas wrote:just my observation- i know most people say that a direct injection engine doesnt need glowplugs to start and that on a 2.4 they're only there for emissions.
my transit became a bitch to start this winter, clouds of unburnt diesel, cranking for a while and once started, it was fine. i had a look at the fusable wire and it was broken. i found one glowplug had the core broken from the body, changed it, fixed the fusable wire and it starts instantly in the cold mornings now.
so my guess is the glowplugs do more than just emissions

Higher output 2.4 need them, as do higher mileage ones
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ricc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm

old school ( eg 1950'5 fordson major tractor) di engines the injection pump would go past full throttle for a cold start and dump excess diesel to the injectors... clouds of black smoke but start any weather... no temp sensor just a button on the injector pump to press

i guess in our greener times that aint allowed so theyve cut the fuel and installed heater plugs from indirect injection engines.

weve run peugeot 1.9 idi engines for a number of years , most times theyll start with two good glow plugs but frosty weather they need all 4. any reluctance to cold start we just change all 4
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby recoveryt59 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:09 am

Well i have this problem but would not say does it when its just cold . it fires up then cuts out straight away and can do this 5 or 6 times before starting then for a second or 2 runs a bit lumpy had a new egr i have now blanked off makes no difference .
Its having a new chain kit so will see after thats fitted the garage also said poss duel mass problem ,
What do you think
recoveryt59

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits