*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR Valve

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: EGR Valve

Postby neillkpm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:13 pm

All of the remarks relating to cleaning EGR valves seem to relate to the mechanical version. I have a 2008 2.4litre TDCi 140 BHP with a dashboard light which Ford tells me relates to a faulty EGR and that it needs replacing. A non franchise mechanic tells me that i have an electronic version, can this be cleaned or does it need a full replacement unit?
neillkpm

Postby fedup2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm

neillkpm wrote:All of the remarks relating to cleaning EGR valves seem to relate to the mechanical version. I have a 2008 2.4litre TDCi 140 BHP with a dashboard light which Ford tells me relates to a faulty EGR and that it needs replacing. A non franchise mechanic tells me that i have an electronic version, can this be cleaned or does it need a full replacement unit?

you need a new egr valve which are all electronic.If its in the closed position you can just unplug it which will leave the light on but you will never wear out another egr valve.
Launch x431 owner ;)
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby griffin41 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 pm

My mate had egr probs ford changed 3 under warranty then it went again so he looked at it and didnt bother with ford - he didn't like the feel of the plug so looked at it - he found a wire that looked frayed so re did wires on plug - no probs since
that is not my belly - i just need to make that clear and if you find a cure let everyone know it
griffin41
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tarte93 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 am

Hi recently bought a 56 Transit Tdci 2 days after I had it started cutting out when not using any revs so I took it back where he said he replaced fuel filter the egr valve and fuel pressure then the day after the engine management light come on so I took it to another garage where he said his machine said it's the egr valve even though It only had a new one put in 2 days before? Just wondering what's the best thing to do as I don't really no a lot about cars but my mate told me to ask here as everyone's really helpful?

Thanks
Tom
Tarte93

Postby loot » Wed May 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Tarte93 wrote:Hi recently bought a 56 Transit Tdci 2 days after I had it started cutting out when not using any revs so I took it back where he said he replaced fuel filter the egr valve and fuel pressure then the day after the engine management light come on so I took it to another garage where he said his machine said it's the egr valve even though It only had a new one put in 2 days before? Just wondering what's the best thing to do as I don't really no a lot about cars but my mate told me to ask here as everyone's really helpful?

Thanks
Tom

Did he use genuine/oe fuel filter?
What do you mean about fuel pressure?
Was the egr a quality one?

Consider getting a pcm update if it hasn't had 1. :wink:

Also, which engine management light is on? There's 2, an engine one and a power train 1 (gear with exclamation mark in)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
[img]http://[/img]
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Tarte93 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:37 pm

loot wrote:
Tarte93 wrote:Hi recently bought a 56 Transit Tdci 2 days after I had it started cutting out when not using any revs so I took it back where he said he replaced fuel filter the egr valve and fuel pressure then the day after the engine management light come on so I took it to another garage where he said his machine said it's the egr valve even though It only had a new one put in 2 days before? Just wondering what's the best thing to do as I don't really no a lot about cars but my mate told me to ask here as everyone's really helpful?

Thanks
Tom

Did he use genuine/oe fuel filter?
What do you mean about fuel pressure?
Was the egr a quality one?

Consider getting a pcm update if it hasn't had 1. :wink:

Also, which engine management light is on? There's 2, an engine one and a power train 1 (gear with exclamation mark in)

Not too clever with cars myself so not sure about the questions you've asked but considering I didn't have any warranty he could of used rubbish parts maybe just to stop it cutting out? And it's not the exclamation mark one its just the Amber engine, thanks
Tarte93

Postby loot » Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 pm

OK that points to egr as said, need to know what you mean about fuel pressure tho, if he did anything to the fuel system then it needs programming in.

Never had an engine cutting out on a faulty egr but it is possible if it is sticking open, i think a known good 1 should be fitted.
Can you ask the mechanic what I've asked you as it'll help with diagnosis. :-)

A faulty egr can take several miles or driving cycles to bring the warning lamp on unless it is electronically faulty btw. :wink:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Tarte93 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm

loot wrote:OK that points to egr as said, need to know what you mean about fuel pressure tho, if he did anything to the fuel system then it needs programming in.

Never had an engine cutting out on a faulty egr but it is possible if it is sticking open, i think a known good 1 should be fitted.
Can you ask the mechanic what I've asked you as it'll help with diagnosis. :-)

A faulty egr can take several miles or driving cycles to bring the warning lamp on unless it is electronically faulty btw. :wink:

If I take a picture will that help? It's right next to the egr valve as you can see it's a new part
Tarte93

Postby loot » Wed May 20, 2015 1:21 pm

? There are documented cases of new cheap egr valves not working :-( there's updated Ford software that tries to remedy prematurely failing egr valves too since about 2012.

There could be a few other problems relating to sensors and wiring too so a good diagnostics session and experience with these is needed.
You should just take it back to the guy and say he didn't fix it, OK there's no warranty but if you only just bought the van then surely he'll oblige?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Tarte93 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:35 pm

loot wrote:? There are documented cases of new cheap egr valves not working :-( there's updated Ford software that tries to remedy prematurely failing egr valves too since about 2012.

There could be a few other problems relating to sensors and wiring too so a good diagnostics session and experience with these is needed.
You should just take it back to the guy and say he didn't fix it, OK there's no warranty but if you only just bought the van then surely he'll oblige?

Thanks for your help much appreciated the thing with taking it back there he might just do something useless again? I'm In 2 minds weather to just let the garage and mechanic I trust sort it out for me and pay now but hopefully everything will be fine with It then would you recommend going to ford afterwards and having the update done?
Tarte93

Postby loot » Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Ideally you want someone local with ids it'll be cheaper, a lot of these mk7s come back needing a prv and scv doing, they get left and wear out etc, hopefully yours doesn't but if your egr wants replacing then you get told you need the above doing I'd imagine Ford will want over 500 pounds for all that :-(
If you can find someone local that will update it for you and do the fuel pump and injector learns for some cake then i think that'll help :-)

Ultimately if your egr is broken then you will have to replace it, you can get vantuner to delete it from the system tho if you want, you'll have to look him up and get a quote.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Gonzo330 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:55 pm

At the risk of sounding like a heathen, why have people not just taken their EGR valve off, cleaned it, then blocked it off? Surely that would be the end of any and all problems?
I drink too much, I swear too much, I drive too fast and I crash too often.

It is a universal impossibility for me to leave my tools alone. Everything can be made to go faster!
Gonzo330

Postby motorman116 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Gonzo330 wrote:At the risk of sounding like a heathen, why have people not just taken their EGR valve off, cleaned it, then blocked it off? Surely that would be the end of any and all problems?

Some Mk7 Transits wont run like that, they just go into limp mode / have starting / running problems, you have to have the EGR turned off in the software / remap
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tarte93 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:50 pm

loot wrote:Ideally you want someone local with ids it'll be cheaper, a lot of these mk7s come back needing a prv and scv doing, they get left and wear out etc, hopefully yours doesn't but if your egr wants replacing then you get told you need the above doing I'd imagine Ford will want over 500 pounds for all that :-(
If you can find someone local that will update it for you and do the fuel pump and injector learns for some cake then i think that'll help :-)

Ultimately if your egr is broken then you will have to replace it, you can get vantuner to delete it from the system tho if you want, you'll have to look him up and get a quote.

Ok thanks for your help I'll take it to the local garage and let him replace the egr and see what he can do with it, really appreciate all the advice.
Tarte93

Postby Shaunford » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 pm

bigfella1952 wrote:I have a 2007 Ford Transit, having done only 80,000 miles.

The Engine Management Light is permanently on.

The main dealer has reset it and tells me the EGR valve wants replacing again. It remained off for approx 2 weeks and then lit up again.

This is the 5th time it has needed replacing.

This seems a common fault, and really frustating and expensive.

The vehicle is serviced twice a year at approx 7,500 miles, never been treated badly, and 99% time, me the only driver.

Any suggestions or help gratefully receivedPaul - the bigfella

xxxxx

Ive got a brand new egr motor and stu had issues.
Unplugged and no fault lights and runs sweet!
I’m a little worried that this may cause other issues?
Shaunford

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits