*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 durotorque tddi engine swap

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Postby highlandeye » Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 am

Hi , I am new to this fourum so please excuse any mistakes I make in posting this question . I have a luton bodied transit on an o4 plate ,125 psi di ,a week or so ago whilst away with the van travling at 55mph the engine , without any warning decided to explode , there was a instant loss of power acompanied by a sound like the Salvation Army Band , before comming to a very solid stop , the engine sized !. I first thought it was probably a fault on the timing chain side of things , possibily the chain had jumped , however I have removed the rocker cover and it was obvious the fault was serious. the rockers (both of them ) on no. 4 cilinder were moving up and down half an insh or more , so just for fun I took off the rocker shafts to find that the small rolers in the rockers themselfes had broken up and had gone into hiding somewhere in there. Closer examination showed nothing obvious ,( all the valves apeard to be ok from the top ) so I took off the head . The missing rocker berings had found there way under the rockers on no. 1 cylinder ( between the rocker itself and the vale top ) pushing both exhaust valves down through the pison ,and the bits now floting arround in there had also jamed up under the two inlet valves and compleatly wrecked the head , one of the valve heads had found its way down on to the front of the crankshaft gear wheel and loged firmly between the chain and the shaft braking off one of the drive teeth and snapping the chain . Anyway , the engine is scrap (106 klms.) which brings me to my question - finaly I here you say . So my question is this , I have bought a 125 psi di durotouque engine with a known history ,from a 03 reg veichle - mine is o4 reg. it looks identical in every way . I bought it complete with the 5 speed box - as this is how it was removed from the doner veichle - ( only a month or so before the doner veichle was involved in an acident , a new solid flywheel and clutch assembly was fitted along with a new starter motor ). So I would like to simpily fit this unit straight into my van , I obtained the ecu , and the keys and ignition barrel censor from the other veichle , if i swap these items at the same time as i swap the engine and box will everything work o k ? The other thing which may be relavant is the fact that my dash board has a machanical milage read out , where my own luton has a digital read out , will this cause any ptoblems ? Thanks for taking the time to read this , any advice most welcome . best regards Highlandeye, Scotland. The engine code on both veichles is the same DOFA
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.4 durotorque tddi engine swap

Postby winterheating » Sun May 06, 2012 11:33 am

You don't need to touch th key reader end of, it's just that a key reader.

You will most liky be able to fit complete engine the PCM and change the key transponder yes.
But as the wiring harness is all different and different clusters then a lot won't work.

The best thing to do, as you should know that all your ancillaries are ok, just swap everything from your buggered engine onto the new engine, doesn't take long and a lot easier than struggling on later with anything that's not right, causing you more hastle than is needed....

Also do yourself a favour if you have a dmf on you engine fit that to th new one to.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highlandeye » Sun May 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi, thanks for your quick reply , I take your point regarding swapping over all the bits and peices and I will take your advice and do that , the only item I am a little unsure of swapping is the fule pump . Will I need to remove the front cover from the timing chain and the chain itself to get at the securing bolts on the pump or is there a better way ? I am happy to buy a special tool if one is needed to reset the timing or whatever, perhaps I could ask you to explane how to set up the timing , or should I be able to download the info from the internet somewhere ? Finaly , would you sugest leaving the gearbox in place and simpily changing the engine , ? the bell housing bolts look like fun to get at . Best regards and thanks , Highlandeye.
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I take engine and box out in one, easier that way.

You could buy a special tool To change the fuel pump easy, or cold whip the cover off the new engine so you can inspect chain tensioner and guides and renew if needed :?: :?: also give it a new front crank oil seal :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highlandeye » Sun May 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi thanks for that , I will follow your sugestions , only one more question - can I leave the injectors in the replacement engine or do I need to change them over also, and if I do need to change them , is it nessasary to keep them in the same order that they came out ? I ask this as I have already removed the injectors from the original engine , but have not kept them in any particular order regards Highlandeye.
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Sun May 06, 2012 5:02 pm

No, no need for injectors to be matched with a cyLinder with a tddi engine.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highlandeye » Tue May 15, 2012 6:35 pm

hI, winterheating, I am working outside up here in the north of Scotland in all this rain and strong winds , so progress is slow , however I have now removed the original engine and box and am about to start changing over all the ancilaries including the fule pump ( as you recomended ) my question is , do I also have to change over ALL the sensors from the gearbox and engine , or will the ones on the doner engine be O K ? regards keith , and thanks for all your help so far .
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Wed May 16, 2012 12:16 am

I would maybe change the cylinder head temp sensor at the back in the middle, if yours was ok, they seem to give problems, and hard to get at when in.
Gear box speed and reverse should be ok. The crank sensor should be ok, they are pretty reliable.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highlandeye » Wed May 16, 2012 8:22 am

Goodmorning to you , The winds have droped a little today so sould make some progress , your help has been invaluble , thanks , - While the engine is out I think I will change the top power steering (pump to rack) pipe as it is heavily coroded where it runs close to the exhaust and it seems better to get at with the engine out .I phoned my nearest ford dealer yesterday (125 miles away ) to ask the price of said pipe , they quted me £106 +vat , well I have looked very closly at this pipe and I canot find the Hall Mark on it anywhere , I take it for that price it must be 9 ct. Dont supose you know of a better suplier ? regards keith.
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby highlandeye » Sun May 20, 2012 11:10 am

Goodmorning Winterheating , well I have now fitted the engine and box back into the transit after changing over all the ancilariesand the fule pump as you sugested, however I have a problem or two , hope you can help please . I checked everything over several times before turning the ignition key to position one , when i did so the Glow plug light lit up and went out instantly and at the same time the fuse wire for the glow plugs burnt out. Looking on the forum it seems that the reason for this is a faulty glow plug shorting directly to earth , ( the only thing I did not change from my engine to the new one ) sods law . Anyway my main problem is it wont start . The lights on the dashboard are all doing what they should , imobiliser is going out when it should , Battery is fully charged , Deisle fule is through to all the injectors , All the fuses are fine , its spinning over fast , but is making no efort to fire . When I changed the fule pump I bought and used the special tool that holds the pump sprocket in place ( and locks the crankshaft ) whilst removing the three holding bolts and the four sprocket bolts to allow the pump to be removed . I did this cearfully then I offerd my original pump up to the fixed sprocet and re assembled it simpily by lining up the four off- set bolts in the sprocet , sliding in a 6mm pin to locate the pump drive and bolted it up . Not moving anything on the engine whilst doing this , I assume that the pump will only go one one way so if the teeth on the chain are not moved off the drive sprocket, and the chain is not disturbed , then you cant get this wrong , Please tell me I am right with this , I am at a loss as to why it wont start .( I cant take this to ford as I am 120 miles away from the nearest van dealer .) regards Keith
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Sun May 20, 2012 7:41 pm

It will most likely still be air locked. When an injector is cracked off, the diesel should squirt all over when cranking.
A clear tube on return pipe to check there is no air returning. Keep filling fuel filter with fuel.

Also check that the light brown plug is not on the crankshaft sensor, that one should be on the speed sensor at back of gearbox.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highlandeye » Mon May 21, 2012 8:36 am

Goodmorning , Well I cant thank you enough, you were quite right , there was indeed air in the system , and after reading one of your posts I realised that the cranking speed I was getting was far to low , the battery voltage was low so it was turning over to slowly . I borrowed a starter charger , left the battery on gentle charge for an hour or so , swiched to boost to spin her over fast , bled the system a couple of times more and it burst into life , running smooth and quiet , so thank you . I have yet to take it on a test run , but have no reason to think there will be any problems . On another note , now I am sorted I have a boat load os spears from the donor engine that I will not need , I will ofer them FREE to any forum member that may need any part to get them going. regards Keith
highlandeye
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 am

Great to here that
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Davie McW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:49 pm

hi there. just read thro your post with interest. i also have a 2.4 tddi with problems. driving along fine then with no warning the engine sounded started tonsound like a farm yard tractor (briefly) then sounded smooth again (briefly). luckily i wasnt far from home so never drow it far. i initially thought fuel problem as running smokey so removed egr valve,inlet manifold (boggin), injector pipes and injectors with intention of gettingvthem refurbed/replaced. on inspecting the valve gear i found one loose rocker stud and another completley out. fished around with a magnet and found it within the valve gear. i also noticed that the rockers on a couple of inlet valves seems to have excessive movement but due to lack of room and light its hard to see if the cam followers are still where they should be. does anyone know how much play is normal on the rockers as im assuming being of hydraulic type are unable to be adjusted
cheers
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits