*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

lpg spark plugs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

lpg spark plugs

Postby jumbo55 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:35 am

2.3 transit lpg 280swb.... now tried every spark plug recommended for lpg, then a mechanic told me i shouldnt be putting platinum or iridium spark plugs into the van... whilst looking on ebay, saw an advert for silver plugs made by brisk, and recommending for the lpg, i reviewed the plugs and it wasnt all positive, but i thought i would try them, i gotta say the van is running the best its ever run. no hesitation, great acceleration, and ticks over really smooth, just thought i would put this on for information, its hard enough to get info on these lpg vans.
jumbo55
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: lpg spark plugs

Postby taz666 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 pm

jumbo55 wrote:2.3 transit lpg 280swb.... now tried every spark plug recommended for lpg, then a mechanic told me i shouldnt be putting platinum or iridium spark plugs into the van... whilst looking on ebay, saw an advert for silver plugs made by brisk, and recommending for the lpg, i reviewed the plugs and it wasnt all positive, but i thought i would try them, i gotta say the van is running the best its ever run. no hesitation, great acceleration, and ticks over really smooth, just thought i would put this on for information, its hard enough to get info on these lpg vans.

why did you not just get genuine motorcraft plugs :?: :?: :?: , also if you pm mealic he has loads of info on these, some of which i gave him :D :D
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby jumbo55 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 pm

ive tried motorcraft, and as you know ford have upgraded the plug for this van, i have also tried ngk iridium and platinum and nothing has compared to these brisk spark plugs, its true ive only had them in a month, but i am impressed. it was keith from gastech who told me i shouldnt be putting iridium plugs into lpg vehicles.

as far as getting info on these vans is concerned, i posted last week asking how to change the alternator belt, no air con, not sure how to undo what looks like a tensioner. i would have liked someone to give me a short list of how i should go about it, not one reply, nothing on search, and cant find nothing on the internet, plus no haynes manual.
jumbo55
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby taz666 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 pm

il have a look later when i get home and let you know
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby DodgeRover » Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 am

If they are the single prong type just close up the gaps slightly, they are normally way too wide even when they are the ones specified for the LPG model and pre-gapped, have had this a couple of times now, when replacing plugs. 0.7mm instead of 1mm rings a bell but i could be completely wrong.

Have got iridium's in a Range Rover V8 and a Trooper and they are definately an improvement in the Range Rover, didn't make any noticable difference in the trooper we put it down to the different ignition systems points in the RR over electronic which was already probably giving an excellent spark.

Race plugs designed for MX bikes also work well with LPG (very thin wire centre electrode) for a while but they are expensive and prone to fouling quickly when running on petrol.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby M4tty » Tue May 15, 2012 11:32 am

Hi,

After reading this thread and having probs with mine. (never run right) i have gone for a set of these plugs as £15 worth a shot. It says on the front that these plugs need to be gapped 0.1mm less than the manufacturers recommendations. 0.8mm rings a bell and ive tried the motorcraft and ngk irodium plugs with no joy. Hoping these may be the answer lol. doubt it tho :)
2005 Transit 260 SWB 2.3l 16V DOHC Petrol/LPG
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby M4tty » Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 am

WARNING: when you fit the New Brisk spark plugs you must check & retune the LPG, GPL or CNG system
as the system will use less fuel with the new correct spark plugs fitted! = Failure to do this will foul the spark plugs & misfire!
you do not need to retune the petrol's injection system on modern petrol injection vehicles as they will self adjust
But on older petrol carburettor engines & non lambda controlled petrol injection system you should
=========================================================================

How can the LPG systems ECU be remapped for new plugs. No-one seems to be able to have the software for these necam koltec ecu's?

Thanks
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo55 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:11 pm

i didnt buy the 15 quid brisk, i bought the high performance ones, which are not single pronged. unfortunately, supplied by the same firm on ebay. but i cant talk for the 15 quid ones, but my ones cost 28 pounds, which still cheaper than iridium platinum and motorcraft, the difference is very marked, ive had the van 5 yrs now, and its the best its ever run, quieter and much more responsive. i just put them straight in, my plugs have like 3 prongs on them, im not given to exaggeration, but i am very impressed, sorry i didnt mention that there are 2 types of plugs from same company. i can only speak as i find.
jumbo55
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm

M4tty wrote:WARNING: when you fit the New Brisk spark plugs you must check & retune the LPG, GPL or CNG system
as the system will use less fuel with the new correct spark plugs fitted! = Failure to do this will foul the spark plugs & misfire!
you do not need to retune the petrol's injection system on modern petrol injection vehicles as they will self adjust
But on older petrol carburettor engines & non lambda controlled petrol injection system you should
=========================================================================

How can the LPG systems ECU be remapped for new plugs. No-one seems to be able to have the software for these necam koltec ecu's?

Thanks

Its BS as far as a modern LPG system is concerned, it should self adjust.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jumbo55 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:08 pm

my understanding is it should be ok on a modern lpg, as indeed mine was...2.3 mk6 lpg 2003.
jumbo55
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby M4tty » Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks jumbo I sent them plugs back and exchanged them for the £28 ones so hopefully that may make it run a bit better. Cheers
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rowdey » Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm

M4tty wrote:Thanks jumbo I sent them plugs back and exchanged them for the £28 ones so hopefully that may make it run a bit better. Cheers

Let us all know the results please mate..
:)
03 Dual Fuel MR MWB and now 66 Mk8 L2H2..
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby M4tty » Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Will do mate
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby M4tty » Fri May 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Ive fitted the plugs this morning and the hesitation/flat spot has completely gone. Havent tried running it on gas as yet but will report if its any better. The guy from ebay who i bought them off emailed me after (as i put a link to this forum) and gave the following information which may be useful.

Hi Matthew = Just a quick one on te forum you gave me interestung but a couple things with LPG & Plugs
1 you should never fit platinum or iridium plugs they are no good for LPG & can cause engine & cat damage - infact the only good thing about iridium plugs is they last longer but at a cost even on petrol on economy!
2: never reduce the manufacures gap more than 0.1mm for LPG it can damage the H/T coil/s due to increasing the current, etc... the 0.1mm less gap is just to correct the spark current for LPG which is a dry fuel & petrolis a damp fuel
3: Brisk Silver & multi spark plugs both work A1 in the Transite 2.3i LPG (how to choose! single point type for normal driving - multi point for performance) both give near equal economy!

regards keith
WTV-UK Brisk UK Main Agent

Cheers
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby M4tty » Fri May 25, 2012 2:28 pm

When i took the old plugs out I could see that water had got past the cover as the spark plugs had the signs. Does the cover have to be replaced of just the seal?

Thanks
M4tty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits