*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 cutting out

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 cutting out

Postby 238kirk » Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 pm

hi, i have a problem with my mk6 transit
it is a 2004 swb fwd, 2.0 85ps TDDi engine with 109000 miles
it has got an ongoing problem with cutting out, i bought it last aug off a guy i do work for, before i bought it it cut out on him on the motorway last summer and it got recovered and it showed some fault codes (sorry i dont know what they were) they pointed to the crank sensor, the van would start back up but would cut out again if it was on the motorway etc,
so it went to the garage and they fitted a new crank sensor and checked all the wiring in that area, they also fitted a new fuel filter as this was suggested it could be a possible cause with airlocing the fuel, it was ok for a month or so this is when i bought it.
the day i got it i did a 40mile journey and about 30mile into the journey the van cut out while i was driving at 70mph, the glowplug light started flashing which i understand is also the engine management light, i pulled over and started it back up, it started fine and i finished my journey, the next day i drove the van back home with no problems at all.
i looked on here and the net as to possible causes and i thought it may be the accelerator pedal, so i got another and fitted it, all was ok for a few more weeks until i was drove to a quick job then when i got back in the van it started ok but when i tried to drive off it cut out, started back up then cut out when i tried to drive off, after a couple of minutes it was fine
i decided to fit a new genuine ford crank sensor incase the garage had fitted a dud
so i put a new one in and when i removed the old sensor it had a coating of oil on it, so there must be some kind of leak on the crank seal no? the new one went it and all was fine again for a while and i thought i had cracked it but on a motorway journey again it cut out and i pulled it a service station, this time it would start but then cut out straight away, i sat there a while and it wasnt wanting to get going so i decided to take the crank sensor out and see if it was covered in oil.
it did have oil on it so i wiped it and put it back in, it started fine and off i went.
so i came to the conclusion that when i traveled at speed for a period of time the leaking oil would cover the senser and make it miss read the signals, before any long journeys i would pop the sensor out give it a wipe and try to keep under 70mph until i got the leak sorted, after a month or so i got bored of wiping the sensor but i didnt have anymore trouble,
it was last oct when it last cut out and its been fine all winter, until the other day, i was going down the motorway to view a new van and it did the same, i turned it off while still moving and started it back up, i looked at the new van then got back in mine and it wouldnt start, i wiped the sensor, it had oil on it and off i went but on the motorway it conked out again, i managed to pull over but when i took the sensor out it didnt have any oil on it at all, i put it back in but the van would start up and tick over but would cut out on acceleration, then wouldnt start at all after a few mins
so i got it recovered and when we got home the van drove off the lorry fine

so it must have something to do with the hot weather because it was hot last year when it was doing it and its been hot this week, is there something obvious that it could be that im missing? ive not taken it to a garage or plugged it in as i have always fixed my own vehicles and the last time it went in the codes said crank sensor

sorry to dribble on but ive tried to include as much info as poss and need an expert opinion, the ive not been on the road in the van since getting it recovered as i bought the new one but it starts and drives fine
i need to fix it so i can sell it

thanks for taking the time to read
238kirk

Re: Mk6 cutting out

Postby Altransit » Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

These can chafe the pump wiring where it goes around the starter motor, causing all sorts of strange faults :?
Worth checking first :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby 238kirk » Mon May 28, 2012 10:14 pm

i checked the wiring round the pump area when i fitted the new crank sensor, i gave all the wiring a visual check and there wasnt any obvious damage, thanks
238kirk

Postby APH » Tue May 29, 2012 6:25 pm

crank sensor is highly unlikely, but will appear as a code if van stops with ignition still on, and can be ignored most of the time :wink: Unfortunately without the codes, were only really guessing,but, could be overheating problem (does temp guage go high at all) as waterpump falure is quite common on these, also worth checking the cooling fan works. However, after seeing a few vans with similar syptoms of erratic cutting out, It almost always comes down to a faulty pump EDC unit, which is more prone to playing up the hotter it gets, I'm not saying that is defo your problem, as codes will be needed to confirm this.....hopefully it is only something cheap...but be prepared for the expensive bit too :(

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 9000Parts » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 am

My 2.0 TDDi kept doing this a few weeks ago. It was quite a warm day if I remember but its been hotter since and hasnt happened again. Its going for a service soon so will ask them to pull the codes and let me know what they think the problem.
9000Parts
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jls security » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:18 pm

238kirk wrote:i checked the wiring round the pump area when i fitted the new crank sensor, i gave all the wiring a visual check and there wasnt any obvious damage, thanks

Mine had exactly the same fault as described. I had to strip the loom back from its taped up loom to reveal the wiring. There was slight damage that wasn't obvious at first to one of the wires that had been shorting / touching earth causing the problem.

It's worth stripping the loom to check that's all I'm saying. Just because fault code says one thing its not always the cause of the fault
www.jls-security.co.uk. If i can help I will, just ask!
Vehicle security/Hands free/Van Locks/Tracker/Parking systems
jls security
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 238kirk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks for the replys, I'll take another look at the wiring this weekend and try and get some codes, I've not used it for a few week as it's been replaced but I want to get it sorted, thanks
238kirk

Postby darrenlindop » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi all. did anyone find out what the problem was in the end. With there vans cutting out. Mine does it between 65-70mph other than that the van is fine. Any help please. Someone said injectors recoding. What do you all think.
darrenlindop

Postby ned » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 pm

darrenlindop wrote:Hi all. did anyone find out what the problem was in the end. With there vans cutting out. Mine does it between 65-70mph other than that the van is fine. Any help please. Someone said injectors recoding. What do you all think.

This thread is over 6 years old so you might not get an answer off then :wink:

Anyway what van/engine do you have? Injector coding is only the tdci, have you had the van plugged in for fault codes. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darrenlindop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi all. i have a 2.0 t280 mk 6. Having injectors done as we speak for recoding. Hopefully ths will. Cure problem. Or anyone else think different please let us know if i should be looking elsewhere for problem.
darrenlindop

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits