*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear brake disc change questions

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Rear brake disc change questions

Postby linus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello,
I have to change my rear discs because they are too rusty and wont pass for the next technical control with them. I would like to do it myself to save some money and because i just like to do things myself. Did searches on the forum but its still not clear enough to me to start the job.
Its about an MK7 with ABS and ESP

On this picture wich bolts are to be taken away and in which order ? the yellow ones (the lower is not visible but there are two of them) have to be screwed out ?

By taking away the 5 torx screw (T50 isnt it ?), will the disc come off ? The big green nut wont be touched, right ?

Do i need to take off the Abs/Esp (?) sensor, and will the disc change give me a warning light on the instrument panel ?

Sorry for the very basical language, but with a little help i think i can do the job. Have done it with sucses on my other cars and bikes so why not with the transit.

Thanks in advance for advises and recommandations :wink:
Greetings from Luxemburg,
Linus
Life's too cheap to drink short wine.
Peace

linus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Rear brake disc change questions

Postby joblogs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm

In the first pic you will need to undo the blue bolts first to remove the caliper, then the yellow bolts to remove the caliper bracket.
in the second pic you will have to undo the 50torx bolts and the big green nut, you can then pull the disc and hub assembly off.
You will then need to press the disc off the hub.
you can leave the ABS sensor.
joblogs
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby linus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks for the answer, sounds usefull :wink:
I guess by "pressing the disc off the hub", no special tools will be needed (exept maybe a good hammer and some sensibility) right ? and: the bearings will stay in there place, right ?

Cheers,
Linus
Peace

linus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 pm

linus wrote:Thanks for the answer, sounds usefull :wink:
I guess by "pressing the disc off the hub", no special tools will be needed (exept maybe a good hammer and some sensibility) right ? and: the bearings will stay in there place, right ?

Cheers,
Linus

no specail tools only a good hamer :lol: as for the bearing the front race will drop out as you take the hub off nothing to worry about as the hub nut holds it in
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby sortedvti » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 pm

ive got to do my rears too.

Are the wheel bearings pressed in to the disc or hub? is this just as easy as the front?
sortedvti
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby linus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 am

@ Bleuestate: thanks :wink:
I bet there are loads of people who did the rear disc change on the Mk7 and i did'nt find that much info with the search :wink:
Share your knowledge people :D i promise free beer (in Luxemburg) for any more good advises :mrgreen:

Linus
Peace

linus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby linus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Took one disc off today and it wasn't so difficult at all up to now :D . As i suspected the brake shop gave me the wrong discs :evil: but will get the right ones already tomorrow.
Just wonder why the big nut that holds the whole thing (green in the second picture) isnt secured at all :shock:
Other thing is i cant get the piston of the caliper back for the moment :? Why ??? :?:
Hope to get it done tomorrow :roll:

Cheers,
Linus
Peace

linus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby taz666 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 pm

the rear nuts are a nyloc nut and therefore a one use only nut and tightened to 450nm so they are secured
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby blue estate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 pm

The piston has to be wound back with a brake wind back tool
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby bluphoto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry for dredging up this old post, but I also have to do this job this weekend.

Couple of questions though...

1. Does it make more sense to remove the hub nut and the torx bolts with the handbrake on before removing the caliper?

2. Does the hub just slide off the stub axle once the hub nut is removed (and the caliper etc obviously)?

3. Is a hydraulic press NEEDED to split the disc from the hub (or for any other part of the job - becasue I don't have access to one)? Should I be able to knock it loose from the back of the hub while still on the stub axle? Just how much of a pig are they to separate?

I'm only asking as I really don't want to be stuck with a van I can't move.

many thanks for your help.
Guy
bluphoto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby funkymonkey » Wed May 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi, I would also like to know the above, I'm doing this now on my mk7 rwd. I also need to do the hub seals
funkymonkey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby blue estate » Wed May 11, 2016 7:53 pm

bluphoto wrote:Sorry for dredging up this old post, but I also have to do this job this weekend.

Couple of questions though...

1. Does it make more sense to remove the hub nut and the torx bolts with the handbrake on before removing the caliper?
Hub spindle does not turn so no need , if you can access them, PS n/s is a l/h anti clockwise thread
2. Does the hub just slide off the stub axle once the hub nut is removed (and the caliper etc obviously)?
Yep , watch for the bearing race falling out
3. Is a hydraulic press NEEDED to split the disc from the hub (or for any other part of the job - becasue I don't have access to one)? Should I be able to knock it loose from the back of the hub while still on the stub axle? Just how much of a pig are they to separate?
No , but you need a pry bar to gently pry abs ring off then just tap back on after disc is changed
I'm only asking as I really don't want to be stuck with a van I can't move.

many thanks for your help.
Guy

Have you got the 65mm socket large breaker bar and may be a 5 ft scaffold pole as they're fooking tight
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby knobby1 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:19 am

blue estate wrote:Have you got the 65mm socket large breaker bar and may be a 5 ft scaffold pole as they're fooking tight

That "fugging big, fugging tight" nut on the left side is LH thread too..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby reevco62 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

taz666 wrote:the rear nuts are a nyloc nut and therefore a one use only nut and tightened to 450nm so they are secured

I'm about to do this job at the weekend for the first time on a Mk7 but have been on to Fords (Parts) for the two new nuts above, they insist they are the same right hand thread and same part number for both sides :?

Thinking back to all the transits I've ever worked on I'm sure the near side hub nut has always been a left hand thread.
It takes thousands of nuts to hold a Transit together but only one nut behind the wheel to distribute them all over the road...
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

You're right n/s is l/h thread o/s is r/h thread
One has blue ring one has yellow ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Next