*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Heater/Air con problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Postby vivcol » Sun May 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I have a 08. 2.2 130 . Which is a 350M based motorhome. It has Manuel A/C. Problem is that the heater still puts hot air into the cab even when turned to cold and the A/C is on. The A/C has been checked and regassed. The local dealer says its likely that a flap is stuck open in the heater box. This would mean a complete dashboard strip and maybe replacing the unit too, probably £1k. When the problem started I noticed that the vacuum pipe between the Heater Control Unit, or Air Con Valve as I've seen it called, and the heater, had sucked flat and welded itself together. Probably cooked by the Turbo. I cut the flat bit out and replaced it with some brake line as suggested elsewhere. Didn't sort it though.
I would very much appreciate some help with 2 questions.
1. Does the Heater Control Unit actually isolate the hot water from the heater when off as in the old days? Both pipes running through the bulkhead to the heater on mine get and remain hot when control is set to cold. That used to mean the valve had failed.
2. Please does anyone have any info to help me strip the dash and heater unit out if I've really got to do it. It doesn't look fun.
Many thanks
vivcol

Re: Mk7 Heater/Air con problem

Postby Guy88 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:55 pm

with the engine off but ignition on can you hear a motor working when changing the temp?#

the vacum pipe going into the cab is for the recirculate settings

if you have a vacuum controled valve in your coolant feed pipes then when the heater is on full cold this should be operated to divert the coolant
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby v8dave » Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Where are the controls set?

My a/c gives cold air when the direction control is turned fully anticlockwise to give air at face level. If it is set to feet or screen I get warm air.

Dave
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vivcol » Mon May 13, 2013 11:33 am

Many thanks Dave. Guy, I tried your suggested test and I can hear a motor operating when I turn the temp control either way. So I guess that means that the Flap motor is operating? Hopefully the flap is still attached to it. Also the' Heater Control Valve' does have a vacuum line in to what could be a diaphragm . Is there enough power there to operate a valve? As you know there is no electrical power there. I do suspect that valve . Thanks for your help . Colin
vivcol

Postby martynx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am

vivcol wrote:Many thanks Dave. Guy, I tried your suggested test and I can hear a motor operating when I turn the temp control either way. So I guess that means that the Flap motor is operating? Hopefully the flap is still attached to it. Also the' Heater Control Valve' does have a vacuum line in to what could be a diaphragm . Is there enough power there to operate a valve? As you know there is no electrical power there. I do suspect that valve . Thanks for your help . Colin

Hi did you manage to fix this?

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 747_727 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 am

Did you manage to get yours fixed, mine has given up today, air con comes on but only warm air coming from vent I can hear the heat mixer motor moving.
747_727
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Sticky flap in heater box leads to heater servo flaps motor seizing. New servo motor , 90 quid from ford , that's what fixed the one I worked on anyway ;)

Not sure how long for though but full fix is replacement heater box. There's a detailed thread on on here somewhere inc part number etc.
Last edited by martynx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm

747_727 wrote:Did you manage to get yours fixed, mine has given up today, air con comes on but only warm air coming from vent I can hear the heat mixer motor moving.

Strip and clean the temp control knob, the track inside it corrodes and the heater defaults to a mid way setting.
Mine has been perfect for months since I cleaned mine
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby 747_727 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:15 pm

ake wrote:
747_727 wrote:Did you manage to get yours fixed, mine has given up today, air con comes on but only warm air coming from vent I can hear the heat mixer motor moving.

Strip and clean the temp control knob, the track inside it corrodes and the heater defaults to a mid way setting.

Sorry I'm a little impatient :D

I will check that, did you motor move before you checked the tracks? Mine does move when I turn the control knob.
747_727
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:31 pm

747_727 wrote:
ake wrote:

Sorry I'm a little impatient :D

I will check that, did you motor move before you checked the tracks? Mine does move when I turn the control knob.

It moved about 1mm, and if I dismantled it, and put it back together with the lever at one end, as soon as it was plugged back in and powered it would go back to the middle
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby 747_727 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:59 pm

I think my motor has full movement on it. I took the cover off and seemed to have full travel when I turned the control knob, it also activated the microswitch on the drivers side when turned to cold.

I've checked the vacuume at the diaphragm at the bulkhead and that is work in I also bypassed the little unit behind the headlight and that made no difference.

Has it been known for the diaphragm to fail?

It's strange because my ac was working yesterday but no cold air today, but the ac compressor runs and I had it regassed last year.

Mine has always blown warm air when in cold but the AC would always eventually come through, but to day there is just warm air with the ac running.

Any ideas?
747_727
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Booster76 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 am

Can someone advise of a supplier for this part servo motor or part number please I have faulty unit, but cant find the thread on here many thanks Dave.
Booster76

Postby martynx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:51 pm

It's available from Ford separately.

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits