*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How to add factory cruise on a mk7 transit no pics

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: How to add factory cruise on a mk7 transit+pics

Postby t0m541 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Loot again
When you fitted your wheel, did you look at fitting the full Mondeo dash loom and BCM from the donor car ?
I have available a full loom from the entire car and the BCM from the car that wheel is from
My thinking is that the Mondeo BCM should plug into the Transit, as it's from a full bells and whistles car then all the needed outputs for stuff like locks, screen stereo etc etc will be catered for and it will communicate with the wheel, only needing the PATS and VIN coding in via IDS.
'56 plate 2.2 Mk7 in white, EGR deleted, leather seats LED lights all round with HiD headlights
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Yes, the steering wheel module is like the bcm and like the pcm and the rcm, it is a spider, all the sensory inputs go to it from all the switches and sensors and it then communicates on the bus, the problem you have tho is that the asbuilt for any transit won't list the module so how can it work?

It requires programming, you could try looking at the transit custom setup but that will be expensive :-(

On my 1 i only use cruise and radio controls, the column mounted radio control is crap :-(

You could as i said use those and then the right buttons could be linked to a small rf transmitter that you could assign the buttons to.

The left stalk that only has telephone mute button which is not needed as the transit stalk has trip buttons on and much better than the steering wheel anyway because once you try messing with buttons going round a corner you'll realize it isn't all that :lol:

Ps. if you or anyone else finds out how to add modules to asbuilt I'd really be interested in finding out :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby loot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:52 pm

t0m541 wrote:Hi Loot again
When you fitted your wheel, did you look at fitting the full Mondeo dash loom and BCM from the donor car ?
I have available a full loom from the entire car and the BCM from the car that wheel is from
My thinking is that the Mondeo BCM should plug into the Transit, as it's from a full bells and whistles car then all the needed outputs for stuff like locks, screen stereo etc etc will be catered for and it will communicate with the wheel, only needing the PATS and VIN coding in via IDS.

What you propose will cause more problems than you have at present but in the opposite direction :shock:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby paul2012 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Mondeo mk4 BCM will not fit Transit mk7's completely different.

Not possible to retrofit Mondeo mk4 wiring complete with all modules etc. Wiring & module calibrations (Software) is incompatible with Transit mk7 PCM (Engine ECU).
Mondeo mk4 2.2 TDCI 200ps PCM won't run Transit mk7 engines. Different fuel system (Bosch)

For example Mondeo mk4 headlight switch. Operates via Linbus & HS-CAN & has a 6 pin plug.

hdlin.jpg

Pinout are as follows.

Pin 1 12v+
pin 2 HS-CAN Hi
Pin 3 HS-CAN Lo
Pin 4 HEADLAMP LEVEL
Pin 5 GND
Pin 6 LINBUS

By "retrofitting" Mondeo mk4 Squib. You can only get to work - Menu buttons, Stereo Buttons, Horn & airbag.
Wiper switch, Indicator Switch etc will not work due to wiring (LinBUS, MS-CAN, HS-CAN) & calibration (software) incompatibility.

Further more. If your mk7 has ABS/ESP original squib will have SAS (Steering angle sensor) Which won't fit Mondeo mk4 squibs.
With out SAS. Your ABS/ESP systems won't work, Warning lights on cluster will remain on indicating a fault. Engine goes into limp mode as both ABS/ESP & PCM are "paired" together :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby t0m541 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Looking at the two BCM's they are vastly different
Mondeo.jpg

Mondeo
Transit.jpg

Transit
Been sat pondering this little problem whilst sanding my wheels for painting.
Loot, I agree with you on the complexity and issues that splicing the Mondeo BCM into the rest of the Transit loom will bring..
But..
I wonder how far the canbus web reaches.
The stumbling blocks I can think of that immediately spring to mind are
BCM to Transit engine management
BCM to Transit dash
BCM to ABS/TCU
It's all a matter of data transfer and software protocols, like you said it's finding someone who can rewrite the software to get everything talking the same sets of 1's and 0's
It's a rabbit hole that can get very deep and expensive depending on how far one wants to dig
One answer could be is to change all the control units for Mondeo ones along with the full harness, then get the engine unit remapped for the Transit engine, providing of course that the donor car was a 2l TDCi.
All for a steering wheel....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'56 plate 2.2 Mk7 in white, EGR deleted, leather seats LED lights all round with HiD headlights
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Unfortunately it is ni on impossible to achieve, try getting hold of Mondeo asbuilt for a start, it would need rewriting completely i think :-(

The base data for these units it encrypted by the module makers (siemens) and only they and Ford will be able to understand the info and how to do it i think :-(

The nearest you'll get is to use the custom stuff since it is closer to the mk7 than the Mondeo, you'll need the bcm/pcm and all other stuff and the speedo Lol it'll only be good on the euro 5 transit too.

I have to say that it is madness! And i have no idea what the custom squib etc look like.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby t0m541 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Does anyone want to buy a mk4 Mondeo steering wheel !!! :shock: :shock:
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:19 pm

You can still use it, it'll fit on and the airbag will fit just swap the little connector for the transit 1 dead easy, to get the cruise buttons working is a bit tricky tho but you can do it i think 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby t0m541 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 pm

paul2012 wrote:

Mondeo mk4 BCM will not fit Transit mk7's completely different.

Not possible to retrofit Mondeo mk4 wiring complete with all modules etc. Wiring & module calibrations (Software) is incompatible with Transit mk7 PCM (Engine ECU).
Mondeo mk4 2.2 TDCI 200ps PCM won't run Transit mk7 engines. Different fuel system (Bosch)

For example Mondeo mk4 headlight switch. Operates via Linbus & HS-CAN & has a 6 pin plug.

hdlin.jpg

Pinout are as follows.

Pin 1 12v+
pin 2 HS-CAN Hi
Pin 3 HS-CAN Lo
Pin 4 HEADLAMP LEVEL
Pin 5 GND
Pin 6 LINBUS

By "retrofitting" Mondeo mk4 Squib. You can only get to work - Menu buttons, Stereo Buttons, Horn & airbag.
Wiper switch, Indicator Switch etc will not work due to wiring (LinBUS, MS-CAN, HS-CAN) & calibration (software) incompatibility.

Further more. If your mk7 has ABS/ESP original squib will have SAS (Steering angle sensor) Which won't fit Mondeo mk4 squibs.
With out SAS. Your ABS/ESP systems won't work, Warning lights on cluster will remain on indicating a fault. Engine goes into limp mode as both ABS/ESP & PCM are "paired" together :!:

I have ABS/ESP on my van, its a GLX, but I did read that the SAS can be calibrated through IDS
loot wrote:You can still use it, it'll fit on and the airbag will fit just swap the little connector for the transit 1 dead easy, to get the cruise buttons working is a bit tricky tho but you can do it i think 8)

Thank you for your confidence Loot, with you, Paul and Martyn's help it's probably not a complete waste of funds
I remember reading one of your posts with your conversion, you mentioned that there was not enough pins or connections on the squib...was that the squib side of van harness side ?
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:33 pm

If you ignore everything except the Mondeo wheel for a sec, you can use, airbag to airbag as is. Then

Horn, cruise, then you can use 2 spare for the left 5 buttons to be used for the radio (note it'll only work on aftermarket radio that can learn the buttons) and then you can use the last wire for switched ground via relay to lights and the horn positive, this will illuminate the buttons when you turn the lights on :-)

You need a set of transit cruise buttons tho. :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby paul2012 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:35 pm

t0m541 wrote:

I have ABS/ESP on my van, its a GLX, but I did read that the SAS can be calibrated through IDS
loot wrote:You can still use it, it'll fit on and the airbag will fit just swap the little connector for the transit 1 dead easy, to get the cruise buttons working is a bit tricky tho but you can do it i think 8)

Thank you for your confidence Loot, with you, Paul and Martyn's help it's probably not a complete waste of funds
I remember reading one of your posts with your conversion, you mentioned that there was not enough pins or connections on the squib...was that the squib side of van harness side ?

MK7's SAS "position" can be calibrated via IDS. Of which needs to be done if fitting a non Mk7 steering wheel.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby t0m541 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:48 pm

loot wrote:If you ignore everything except the Mondeo wheel for a sec, you can use, airbag to airbag as is. Then

Horn, cruise, then you can use 2 spare for the left 5 buttons to be used for the radio (note it'll only work on aftermarket radio that can learn the buttons) and then you can use the last wire for switched ground via relay to lights and the horn positive, this will illuminate the buttons when you turn the lights on :-)

You need a set of transit cruise buttons tho. :-)

Transit cruise buttons, as in from a Transit wheel with cruise button on ?
There is a couple on eBay for over £100, but if I buy one of those I might as well fit it.
I am going to get an after market touchscreen stereo, which is one of the reasons I wanted wheel audio controls, so I'm not arsing about with the screen to turn the thing down.
paul2012 wrote:
t0m541 wrote:

MK7's SAS "position" can be calibrated via IDS. Of which needs to be done if fitting a non Mk7 steering wheel.

I have IDS and VCM2, I did see that option when I first got the IDS and was looking through the settings, but didn't play with it as I didn't know what was what, but I do now :D
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby t0m541 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Took the Transit wheel and squib of tonight to have a compare with the Mondeo one.
The Mondeo wheel won't fit the Transit squib as there is a connector sticking out of it that clashes with the back of the Mondeo wheel.
There doesn't seem to be any hardware inside the plastic housing, so I could dremel it off I suppose.
Does anyone know if the little plastic inserts in the airbag connection are removable ?
They look like just a push fit.
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby t0m541 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Not bothering with the Mondeo wheel as it's far too involved for little reward.
I have enabled cruise in the BCM using IDS, now have the green dial on the dash.
Just waiting on a Focus wheel now, by the look of it I'll have to set up the SAS, but apart from that it should be plug and play.
t0m541
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Calibrate the steering angle sensor if the wheel squib holes angle differ between the transit and cmax :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits