*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 200PS 3.2L 5 cylinder front end dimensions

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Postby sil15a » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Gents, I have researched and researched and I need a favor from you lucky 200PS transit owners.
I live in Australia and unfortunately we did not received any Mk7 200PS 3.2L 5cyl transits here. This engine is new to us and we are only starting to see it used in the 2012 to 2014 ford ranger XLT 4x4 and 4x2 utes.
I have read on the forums that the 200PS transit chassis are 4 inches longer than the MK7 140PS chassis and that the extra length comes from extensions that bolt onto the front chassis rails. this also requires a different front bar which is visibly noticeable.
What I would like to know is the engine bay depth (front to back)(firewall to radiator support) and dimensions of bonnet and quarter panels to check if they are the same items as the 140PS Mk7 cab chassis transits we have in Aus or are they in fact different, and if they are different dimensional how much by.
What I plan to do is to buy a ford ranger 3.2L 5cyl from the wreckers and transplant engine and ECU / wiring looms and patch them into the Transit. The gearbox is still unknown territory at this stage but it will be a modified / welded bell housing to use the existing 140PS transit gearbox or use matching ranger gearbox.

I have taken lots of other dimensional measurements which will allow me to check the ford ranger engine and engine mount compatibility.

Before anyone harps on about how much work this will be, I am skilled enough in metal fabrication, welding and electrical experience. I have at my disposal all workshop fabrication equipment to preform all modifications in house. If this project was to go ahead all stages would be fully transparent on the forum for all members to view.

Would a member of a 200PS transit be able to take the following measurements and post results so we all know the dimensional differences between the rare 200ps powerhorse and the common 140ps transits
Photos below...

Firewall to radiator support panel: dimension 700mm

Bonnet top to bottom: dimension 575mm

Quarter panels: dimension 700mm

Last edited by sil15a on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 200PS 3.2L 5 cylinder front end dimensions

Postby ake » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:46 pm

The 200 uses the same wing and bonnet. The bumper/grill is different, as is the cross member, bonnet slam panel, radiator mount etc
I believe the engine mounts are also different.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby sil15a » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks ake for the super quick reply.

if the 200ps has same bonnet and wing panels however the cross member / bonnet slam panel are different there must be not much difference dimensional between the 200PS and the 140PS engine. meaning the engine bay should some what house the 5 cylinder engine
The bonnet still has to latch in the same hole so does this tell me that minor alterations can be made to the slam panel such as taking a jigsaw and removing some metal and fabricating some new radiator supports and ducting?
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sil15a » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 pm

here is a couple of pictures of 200PS engine bays that I have managed to scrape up from the internet.
200PS

My 140PS Cab Chassis

It looks like the difference is minimal between 140PS and 200PS bonnet slam panel,
however notice the difference between the engine front timing covers 140PS 4cyl Vs 200PS 5cyl

if someone could provide the dimension from firewall to bonnet slam panel with a tape measure we could determine if the firewall has been shifted backwards to make any extra room?
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

From those pictures it looks to me like the radiator on the 200ps sits further forward which is why the front bumper is different.
My guess would be that you'd have no problem fitting the engine and mating to the gearbox, as the engines are virtually the same with another cylinder attached to the 5 pot engine.
Sorry I can't help with the dimensions but you may find something useful in the BEMM manual.
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 pm

BEMM manual can be found under the information tab/vehicle conversions on the ford Etis website.
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Guy88 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 pm

the fan cowel is 5" longer on the 2.4, the radiator and slam panel are in the same place,

I THINK the 5 pot would fit in a normal fronted van,

gearbox is the same as the 140,

if you need any pics i can get some of mine tomorrow
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby sil15a » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 am

Hey Guy88 thanks for your feedback, I have seen your YouTube video of your van 0~60 mph in 11.8sec, very impressive!
Any photos that you can add to this thread will be greatly appreciated.
If you could also run the tape measure from the firewall to slam panel it would also confirm your statement that the engine bay size is the same size on 140PS and 200PS transits.
My Transit has a bull bar which replaces the front plastic bar. they separate the grill and plastic bar and install it the aluminium bull-bar it its place.
The bull-bars can be you shield and armor in Australia especial when travelling early morning as the kangaroos if you hit one can cause massive damage to your rig and leave you stranded on the side of the road.
I was thinking that the bulkiness of the bull-bar would conceal the 5 cylinder motor as the 200PS plastic bar is not a great deal bigger.
So far it looks like it will be possible to do the conversion.
also need to confirm the following..
Will the 140PS gearbox bolt up to the ranger 3.2L 5 cylinder motor as it does for the 200PS transit 5 cylinder motor, cant see why ford would change the casting of the 5cyl block
Are the ranger engine mounts different to the transit 200ps engine mounts, can I use the 140PS 2.4 4 cyl engine mounts or will I have to fabricate my own mounts?
thanks all who have contributed so far
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Guy88 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am

Firewall to slam panel is 700mm. Radiator fits the same. All the 200 front is for show and is just a bumper by the looks of it
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby V184 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 pm

sil 5a you send me a 3.2 Ranger auto with the super cab & i will send you a 200 jumbo , deal ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AndyG » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 am

V184 wrote:sil 5a you send me a 3.2 Ranger auto with the super cab & i will send you a 200 jumbo , deal ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of these :?:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Ford-Ran ... 3a8c032b57
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby godderidge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 am

I have a 200 and a 140 , as far as I can see the slam panel is similar but the 200 one is stronger and an extra fixing bolt on each side I think it is made stronger because the bottom of the radiator is further forward so the radiator is sloping backwards, also the radiator is deeper than in the 140 therefore more weight more stress I guess.
Now the fan dropped of my 200 and I never fitted it back on and the van never over heats even when up to weight and towing a 2 tonne caravan even on hot days and also in traffic jams but to be fair on hot days I have the air con on which puts on the electric fan
I have looked at the two vans and I think you could fit the 200 in the 140 engine bay and the only problem you would have would be the fan but not a problem if you fit the 200ps radiator
If various bits don't swap over you can get all the bits from fords if money is not a problem
godderidge
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sil15a » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 am

I have check measured my friends Ford Ranger XLT 3.2 5cyl Auto transmission today and come up with the following results;

The 5cyl engine is about 100mm longer than to 4cyl engine.
The 5cyl gearbox bell housing bolt pattern from what I can measure is the same as the 4cyl pattern and the transit gearbox should bolt up as previously mentioned by other members.
The ford ranger engine mount brackets are different from the 4cyl 2.4 transit engine mount brackets.
The Transit engine mount brackets could possibly be bolted to the ranger 3.2 engine block. (the lower two bolts which I could access to take measurements are the same distance apart between ranger and transit)

sil 5a you send me a 3.2 Ranger auto with the super cab & i will send you a 200 jumbo , deal ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

V184 why would you use a automatic ranger, I would think that the ECU flash would be different which would require the ECU to know which gear the motor is in, the manual version would be better to work with.

I have purchased workshop manuals for the Ford ranger 3.2 and Mazda BT50 which have full electrical diagrams, with some further research to identify how different the electrical systems are as I am told the Ranger has a separated body control module separate to the ECU.

Does anyone know where I can get a full wiring diagram for the MK7 Transit, not just a plug pin-out which is the the body and equipment manual on the ford ETIS website.
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SvenOz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi Sil15a

Another similarly minder person in Australia.

I could be wrong, but from my reading:

1. the bell house on the 3.2 Ranger is larger than on the 2.4 Transit;

2. given the extra power, I would not be surprised if the manual transmission has been strengthened in bearings etc even if its basically the same unit as the Transit 2.4, much like was done on the Landrover Perenti diffs. However, I have read that it's an MT85 instead of MT82;

3. the clutch and flywheel will no doubt be different on the 3.2 to cope with the extra power;

4. the 3.2 apparently bolts straight onto the same engine mounts as the 4cyl Duratorq Landrover defenders, so the difference with the Ranger mounts may be due to the Ranger chassis, which may be quite different given the different suspension setup on the front end, and the height that the engine needs to sit at relative to the chassis;

5. I can't locate the details again, but I thought I had found that the 2.4 ECU was a different part number to the 3.2 ECU, yet strangely the 3.2 ECU had the same part number as some 2.0 litre Mondeos. Obviously the programming will be different regardless, but I would be interested if the connectors are even the same, and if so, you may be able to add to the Transit wiring harness as needed and plug the Ranger ECU in rather than having to swap the whole wiring harness or run a standalone harness; and

6. If you have to change over the ECU to the Ranger one (which I assume you will), you will probably have to also change over the key chip (inside the key head), transponder, alarm controller and possibly the full dash display (speedo etc), unless you can disarm the immobiliser and rewire the instrument panel as needed.

I have been trying to get my hands on wiring diagrams for the 4cyl Transit, 5cyl Transit, and 5cyl Ranger, but could not locate them on Etis, so is there any way you can send them to me? I am new on this forum so not sure how you can PM or similar.

My thoughts are:

1. Get your hands on a 3.2 4x2 manual Ranger of same age as your van, and swap in the whole engine and transmission. Clutch cabe should be easily, gear linkages may need some work, but otherwise this is probably the easiest and best option.

2. Would be nice to put in the auto, but that's a whole lot more electronics to get solved which won't be in the Transit.

3. Get your hands on:

(a) part numbers for ECU for all 3 vehicles mentioned above, to work out where you are there.

(b) the VIN number for a 3.2 Transit of equivalent age to yours. Ford is no doubt going to require an appropriate VIN to sell you any parts you need.

If the 3.2 ECU is the same on the Ranger and the 3.2 Transit, then order a whole wiring loom for the 3.2 Transit and its likely that it will do a lot of the job for you. Ford UK can no doubt supply this.

4. With the VIN numbers, you can get the basic wiring locations from Etis, which will help with installing the wiring loom.

5. When dealing with the powers that be (RTA, Vic Roads, or the relevant authority for your state), I think you will just need to refer them to the 3.2 version and they will then treat it as an upgrade to an engine that is of the same type as provided in the original series of vehicles, and you probably won't even need an Eng Vert. Check though before you get started, because if you need Eng Cert, then best line up an Engineer before you start and make sure they are happy with how you are doing it.

6. Why not get your hands on a stat write-off Transit of same age and have a practice on that rather than having yours off the road whilst working it out. If you get it all up and running, then swap it all into your own van and resell the wreck.

As a favour, are there any 3.2 Transit owners out there who are willing to provide their VIN number and ECU Part number (label on the unit) to help Hi Sil15a and myself?
Cheers
SvenOz

Postby martynx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:31 am

This vin is from a 2011 registered 200

WF0XXXTTFXAA82495

Ecu on 200 Transits is a Visteon DCU-112. That DCU number appears on the Ecu label -If the 112 is fitted to any other model Ford then a used one could be programmed easily with the right firmware for a 200 Transit.

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits