*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR UNIT PROBLEMS ?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: EGR UNIT PROBLEMS ?

Postby freeway » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

I've just had an EGR (Mk 7) replaced which left the van losing power exactly as it was before, changed the fuel filter & it goes like a good thing again.Not sure why the combined resources of Pacific Ford service dept couldn't figure that one out when asked to diagnose the power loss problem but you can rest assured I intend to ask loudly - they've spent a lot of my money for no good reason. I've still got the old valve, looks ok & definitely not jammed open as I expected, does anyone know which terminals to apply voltage to to test it??
freeway
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul marriner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Dont waste your money guys just get the egr valve blanked off this shud cure the problem permanently at a fraction of the cost !!
paul marriner

Postby stephenferguson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm

egr valves shouldnt even be fitted to a diesel in this day and age.

rant over. :D
2008, VW Transporter T5, T30, 6 Speed 130, Reflex Silver.
2006, 100 T280, MWB, Mid Roof, Moondust Silver. SOLD
Mk6-Mk7 Facelift Photos Here
stephenferguson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transit 04 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 pm

i have a 56 plate its had 4 egr valves given up on them the vam was hunting the other day on tick over and was trying to stall its self so i took the egr valve sensor off and the air flow meter sensor off and cleaned them both with glass cleaner and a small brush carefully and it runs like a dream now better mpg and throttle response the same thing happend on my mate 07 plate transit in central london and wouldnt start so he clean his sensors and its fine. as for the squeaking noise they all do it apparently its the egr valve cleaning its self!
140 Transit Sport
Transit 04
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jamespalmer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 am

I'm so glad I looked at this this morning. I bought my 56 reg transit 2 years ago with 50k on the clock. 1st day, engine management light on. Now has 85k on the clock. Every day I drive it for about half an hour and, lo and behold, cog light and no power. The history of the vans says it has always run lumpy. Found that bit of paper a few days ago! My mechanic said it could be an injector though? Can I remove the EGR and clean it? If so, where the hell is it because I can't find it! Also I would like to fit a blanking plate but which one? I'm assuming it's the one with the hole as it's an electronic EGR? Any advice from you chaps would be great because I'm totally over it now! I also don't have anything to do this weekend!
jamespalmer

Postby loot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Don't rely on this completely but in my personal experiences with my van and my egr if the egr is faulty it comes up with the engine mil not the powertrain cog which suggests to me your prv is faulty andyou need to replace that along with having a pcm update and fuel pump pilot learn.etc.
My egr is dated 07 so i believe it is the original 1 that came with my van which has done 150k miles.
I have had periods of my egr thrown fault codes up and having a Flid but having cleared the faults sometimes a couple of times a day and getting to the point of replacing it, then it worked fine which is over a month now lol.
I haven't cleaned it out or anything, i personally think that inside the cap is tracking of some kind which gets sooted up causing faults (electrical type)but eventually as it is being used these get cleaned (i think this because it isn't permanent in my case which you would think if it broke it would stay that way).
You do get mechanical faults also leading to the egr staying open etc.

If you want to blank your egr that's fine but it really needs deleting to keep the warning lamp off.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 pm

EGR valves on the VW's are the same, constantly giving faults and putting management lights on.
Good idea In principle, crap idea in practicality !
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 pm

HARRYSPADGE wrote:EGR valves on the VW's are the same, constantly giving faults and putting management lights on.
Good idea In principle, crap idea in practicality !

They aren't even a good idea in principle :(
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits