*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

locked out of my van!.....

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

locked out of my van!.....

Postby tranvan59 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 am

59 plate rwd, central locking not functioning, key wont open door. van was not used for about 5 weeks.
any help appreciated....
tranvan59

Re: locked out of my van!.....

Postby xr4i_guy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am

Sounds like your key is worn if you have a spare try that in the locks most likely work. My key was too worn to open the bonnet got another one cut and that opens everything. Battery probably gone flat so central locking wont pop.
xr4i_guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:04 am

dont worry bruds
Father allcock is here to help 8)
its very easy to get in :D
do you have a 9 inch angle grinder handy :?:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby happypatrol » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:13 pm

will the key open the bonnet??? If so charge the battery up with the jump point.

If not wedge the door open with a bit of wood and get a long piece of cable and pull the door handle. They don't have dead locks i don't think so the door should open unless your really un lucky.

If not call RAC or AA. etc. They will get it going for you. Well worth joining for £35 odd quid online. Then you get 5 call outs over the year.
I used to be an RAC patrol. People do it all the time.

Good luck,
happypatrol

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 pm

The quarter window on the door is first to pop out in a crash :mrgreen: chances are the lock barrel has seized up from always using the fob. If the key looks good then wd40 or something to lube the barrel then allow to soak and see if the key turns with light pressure.
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Your front battery is knackered, and opening the bonnet is a waste of time because the jump start point is connected to the start battery, not the aux battery

If you double clicked the lock button when you parked it up, then it is dead locked, so trying to open it from inside is also a waste of time.

keep trying the key in the door, and perhaps spray in some wd40. if that fails either call a lock smith, or break the quarter light window, put key in, turn on ignition, and then unlock door from inside.

This is why you should unlock the van with the key at least once a week
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby TripleSix » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:19 pm

ake wrote:This is why you should unlock the van with the key at least once a week

I test my door lock every time I go to Asda....
2013 MWB AWD
TripleSix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tranvan59 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:58 pm

thanks guys!...no luck!...the key will not work the door lock, is this because the aux battery is flat? is the door lock just another switch? or should it directly unlock the door?
is there any other way of getting power to either aux battery or central locking module?......
tranvan59

Postby tranvan59 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:02 pm

ake wrote:Your front battery is knackered, and opening the bonnet is a waste of time because the jump start point is connected to the start battery, not the aux battery

If you double clicked the lock button when you parked it up, then it is dead locked, so trying to open it from inside is also a waste of time.

keep trying the key in the door, and perhaps spray in some wd40. if that fails either call a lock smith, or break the quarter light window, put key in, turn on ignition, and then unlock door from inside.

This is why you should unlock the van with the key at least once a week

thanks guys!...no luck!...the key will not work the door lock, is this because the aux battery is flat? is the door lock just another switch? or should it directly unlock the door?
is there any other way of getting power to either aux battery or central locking module?......
tranvan59

Postby happypatrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:37 pm

there is a way of doing it by giving a direct feed to the alternator and then use the remote to open the doors. but i wouldn't advise doing it if you don't know what you are doing. Ive done it on a ferrari f430 so I'm sure it would work on a transit. you basically give power to the system enough to open the doors. The you can charge your battery. But it would need to be done via a fused supply to avoid and mishaps and earth it somewhere good. If you have a booster pack or another battery its easy to do.
happypatrol

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:35 pm

happypatrol wrote:there is a way of doing it by giving a direct feed to the alternator and then use the remote to open the doors. but i wouldn't advise doing it if you don't know what you are doing. Ive done it on a ferrari f430 so I'm sure it would work on a transit. you basically give power to the system enough to open the doors. The you can charge your battery. But it would need to be done via a fused supply to avoid and mishaps and earth it somewhere good. If you have a booster pack or another battery its easy to do.

You don't need to do that as there is a jump point under the bonnet which you can connect to, but sadly, if the van has two batteries, then the one that operates the door locks is isolated from the system until the engine is running :(

OP ............. maybe worth just getting a new non chipped key cut, and see if that will operate the door lock. The lock itself will open the door (one only) with no power in the battery :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Hanna H » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:12 am

I had issues with my transit door locks for over a year. It was a 9 seat minibus which I converted to a camper several years ago, insulation, cladding, fixed bed etc. I kept thinking it was the battery in the key fob that was flat but then the manual locking using the key in the door started to not work either. Sometimes it unlocked the front and the back, sometimes it didn't even unlock the passenger cab door, just the drivers door. It was an absolute nightmare. I had to drill a whole in my bulkhead to reach my hand in and unlock the inside catch on the sliding door when the rear doors wouldn't open for weeks whenever I tried. I dismantled all the doors and checked all the locking mechanisms, cleaned them etc and it still didn't work. I was leaving it in car parks unlocked and it was stressing me out. Eventually one of the sliding doors would not open even if I tried from the inside so I took it into a ford garage. They looked at it and said there are two batteries in transits (mines a 2007 model), one in the engine and one under the drivers seat which just controls the locking system. And that battery was dead! They replaced it (£140 for the battery and £100 for labour) and it works perfectly again. I'd not seen this information about the batteries anywhere when I'd looked online so now I've discovered it I'm just posting this message everywhere in the hope it'll help someone else! Such a relief it's fixed and I didn't have to dismantle anything else inside!
Hanna H

Postby Altransit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:20 am

Hanna H wrote: They looked at it and said there are two batteries in transits (mines a 2007 model), one in the engine and one under the drivers seat which just controls the locking system. And that battery was dead! They replaced it (£140 for the battery and £100 for labour) and it works perfectly again. I'd not seen this information about the batteries anywhere when I'd looked online so now I've discovered it I'm just posting this message everywhere in the hope it'll help someone else! Such a relief it's fixed and I didn't have to dismantle anything else inside!

Not all Transits have two batteries, and only certain models from 2006> have the split twin batteries that you have in your van.
This information about the twin batteries has been posted many times on this forum, including the thread above your post. It's worth noting that if the van has been deadlocked, then trying to open the locks from inside the van won't work, until the engine has been started, which automatically opens the deadlocks.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits