*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 replacement seats

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 replacement seats

Postby emmsee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 am

I'm Down Under but the models seem the same so here goes:
I have a 2002 VH Transit 2.4l diesel tray back, using it to tow a 3000kg Fifth Wheeler van.

We are Grey Nomads, permanently on the road, travelling Oz.

The seats are shockingly uncomfortable and I'm limited to about 3/4 hours a day behind the wheel before my back gives out.

My aim is for increased comfort - I had a Subaru Liberty sedan previously and could drive 800/1000 kms before needing a break - now I'm lucky to do 300 km!

I'd like to replace both the drivers and dual passengers seats

1/ Are any of the later model seats more comfortable than the 2002?
2/ is a single passemger bucket seat available for the VH/MK6?
3/ it looks as though a special tool is required to remove the seat restraining bolts (where they attach to the floor) - any clue how to remove the seats?
4/ any other seats that suit, even with adjustments?

Photo's of your seats, if upgraded, would be greatly appreciated.
Any other advice would be fantastic.
cheers
Mike
emmsee
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK6 replacement seats

Postby richgold » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Many on here have replaced their seats. I'm with you, I think the original seats are rubbish.
Here's mine, fully electric Recaro Style with comfort pack.

Almost any seats should fit with the necessary fabrication/cutting/welding, it just depends how much you want to do. Mine went in with minimal messing around in less than an hour. The original runners from the old seat were reused, 2 lengths of metal bolted on laterally and the seat just bolted to those.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RustWidow » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Nice seats rich.. Very nice
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Cal1990 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi mate not 100% about seats but think later tourneos had leather driver seats?

As for fitting it may look like a torx but it is actually a "m11 ribe" have a type in eBay man that's where I got mine as torx bits just shredded in my bolts as they were that right the m11 is amazing
mk7 Transit swb low roof in beautiful black :)
Cal1990
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 am

A pair of 911 black leather ones will be going in a connect when I get one
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ionatransit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

I fitted a nice set of heated seats from my wifes old volvo 850 estate to my mk6. The hardest bit was grinding off the angled brackets on the rear of the mounting rails but once off 3 of the original bolt holes lined up ok so I just drilled the seat base for the forth bolt. The seat belt clips ok into the volvo catches aswell so saves swapping them for the transit ones. Much more comfy now when touring round the scotish highlands than the original seats. 8)
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby marleymaguire » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am

So did the single passenger seat fit in the correct holes on the that side?
marleymaguire
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby emmsee » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am

Cal1990 wrote:Hi mate not 100% about seats but think later tourneos had leather driver seats?

As for fitting it may look like a torx but it is actually a "m11 ribe" have a type in eBay man that's where I got mine as torx bits just shredded in my bolts as they were that right the m11 is amazing

G'day Cal1990,
After 3 weeks of trying I've got hold of a RIBE M11 (90% of mechanics I spoke to here in Straya had never heard of a Ribe), but I found a local branch of an English company who supplied me with one.

I've also found a genuine 2007 (I have a 2002 model) left hand single seat with base intact.

Will I need to make any changes to install the seat (eg: drill new holes in the floor pan), or can I remove the dual passenger seat and install the single passenger seat with altering the cab?

If alterations are needed can anyone tell me, in detail, what I need to do.
Ford here are worse than useless ('bring it in and we'll look at it' and charge me an arm and a leg).
Any advise would be appreciated.
regards
emmsee
emmsee
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Cal1990 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 pm

emmsee wrote:
Cal1990 wrote:Hi mate not 100% about seats but think later tourneos had leather driver seats?

G'day Cal1990,
After 3 weeks of trying I've got hold of a RIBE M11 (90% of mechanics I spoke to here in Straya had never heard of a Ribe), but I found a local branch of an English company who supplied me with one.

I've also found a genuine 2007 (I have a 2002 model) left hand single seat with base intact.

Will I need to make any changes to install the seat (eg: drill new holes in the floor pan), or can I remove the dual passenger seat and install the single passenger seat with altering the cab?

If alterations are needed can anyone tell me, in detail, what I need to do.
Ford here are worse than useless ('bring it in and we'll look at it' and charge me an arm and a leg).
Any advise would be appreciated.
regards
emmsee

Alrite mate yeah it should bolt in fine mate sure the holes are pre drilled for them if not you just need to measure all aspects of holes of seat and drill through from underneath with plenty as oil around the hole mate but I'm pretty sure they are pre drilled buddy!

I can understand what you mean my mate is in toowoomba? In auz and he drives a transit he said its a nightmare to get ford to do anything lol
mk7 Transit swb low roof in beautiful black :)
Cal1990
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits