*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Possible air in fuel system

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Possible air in fuel system

Postby ionatransit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi all starting to run out of ideas with this one. :?

Ok the quick version of the past 7 months issues with my van.

Back in Jan I noticed a leak from the back of the fuel pump. This turned out to be the usual metering solenoid problem where the sealant breaks down and allows the diesel to leak out. After turning to the forum for advice I bought a new solenoid valve + the special tool for removing it. After having a right chew on replacing it I got the van back on the road with no further problems untill the starter packed up a couple of months later. This I think may have had something to do with the diesel that had dripped from the faulty solenoid into it. Fitted a new starter everything back to normal then noticed another leak. This was eventually traced to a damaged fuel pipe behind the egr valve.

Managed to bodge the pipe to stop the leak and went away to scotland for a weeks holiday. Whilst away we had a lack of power that turned out to be a big split in my intercooler so a new one was fitted. Still suffering with a lack of power mainly when pulling away I replaced the fuel filter after querying the one fitted with forum members as the old one looked like the wrong one.

By now im starting to have problems starting as im having to crank the engine longer than normal. Next up I did an oil change. For some reason I couldn't get the right amount of oil in even though the van was fully drained first. Whilst on the subject of oil there was quite a bit in the intercooler when I changed it. Checked the turbo everything looks fine just looks like its sucking it through the oil breather.

As the starting issue was getting worse I retraced what I had done to the van and decided it must be the fuel pipe that I had bodged so I ordered a new set of pipes. Fitted these a couple of days ago still having issues starting so I started checking for leaks. I noticed a small amount of diesel weeping from the plastic fuel inlet pipe where it pushes onto the new metal pipe so I poped the pipes back off and slipped a couple of o rings onto the metal pipes before refitting the plastic pipes. This pulled the push on conectors on tighter and stopped the leak but still the starting issue was there. After checking the banjo fittings on the pump I relised I forgot to fit the copper washers on so this was done this morning and things started to improve.

We decided to go for a run out up the dales and after stopping for diesel we called in at halfords to pick up a new air filter. Got back in the van after about 15 mins and it wouldn't start. I decided that it must be down to the fuel supply so after buying yet another set of spanners I cracked open the pipes on the injectors to check for diesel. As I had diesel I checked for anything loose and eventually got my brother in law to tow us home.

First I checked the PCM for codes then as none listed I went back to checking the fuel. On removing the diesel filter I noticed it was quite empty so a trip to the garage for a fuel can + diesel followed. Filled up the filter put it back on and then had a right carry on getting the van to start. Once running I carefully cracked the injector pipes to release any air left in the system. This seemed to sort things out and the van seemed to start better but after switching off and leaving for a couple of minutes its back to the endless cranking again. So somewhere I must be getting air in but as to where I have run out of ideas!

One theory I have is it could be something to do with the fuel filter but after wrapping some self amalgamating tape round the top in an attempt to seal it to the filter head there is no change. Should there be a none return valve built into in the filter as the one I fitted is not a genuine ford one?

Forgot to mention the van is a mk6 55 plate 85 280 with the 2.0L di engine. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Dave.
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Possible air in fuel system

Postby alzee20 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 am

I've had problems with the filter head before, common that they crack I believe, sorted with a new head and filter.. I went for the ford new parts at the time and cost me about £120 ish I think..
The oil thing is a concern though, how much did go back in?
There is the possibility that you are developing a timing issue with chain etc..
mk7 280 115ps swb fwb lr - 20000 miles so far..!
mk6 280 75ps swb fwd lr - Dead but took a sprinter with her! :)
mk6 280 75ps swb fwd lr - Vantunered!
alzee20
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby v8dave » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 am

Air getting into the fuel system could be....

A damaged pipe from the fuel tank
A cracked filter housing
A filter not sealing properly ( always use genuine ford )
A connector not sealing properly, usually damaged o rings.
A damaged fuel pump.

Check the leak off and fuel return lines as well as the feed lines.
The engine sucks it's fuel up from the tank so air can leak in more easily than fuel leaks out.
There is supposed to be a thermostatic valve in the filter housing that lets cold leak off fuel back to the engine rather than sending it to the tank, because of that it could even be a damaged return pipe to the tank or even the fuel cooler if you have one - it is underneath near behind the tank.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ionatransit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for the reply's.

Just a quick update I ordered some non return valves + hand pump off ebay and fitted the valves last night. Filled the filter with diesel and primed all the lines as there was no fuel in them. Got the engine running and took it for a run round the block ok. Left it for a bit and then it started ok the non return valves seemed to stop the diesel from nicking off back to the tank. Did this a few times then left it for a couple of hours. Tried starting again before bed and it was back to a no go. Checked the fuel filter this morning and found it half full and the top of the housing had diesel on it. Come to the conclusion the issue is with the filter so just ordered a new one + top housing from ford so hopfully this might cure the problem. Will report back when fitted. :roll:
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ionatransit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:48 pm

New filter + filter head fitted. Took ages to get the system primed and the engine started. Now when I switch the engine off and try and start it again straight away it wont go. Its almost as if im loosing fuel presure as I can get it to go after cranking for a long time. Im now wondering as its a mechanical pump if it could be a timing issue. How easy is it to replace the tensioner ? Also if there was a problem with the pump ie. internal seals gone would the diesel leak out of the pump housing?
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ionatransit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 am

Anyone ? :roll:
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dan T » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:57 am

it will either be a machanical pump issue or air entering the system.
Once the new filter housing was fitted did you take it a good run to allow the diesel to warm up and return all the air to the tank ?
Was the metering solenoid tightened correctly ? Seen ones not tightened correctly cause problems days/weeks/months after being fitted. Showing the exact same symptoms as you describe.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby karl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

i had one with the same symptoms changed filter head new filter etc ,took fuel filter out of the system seem to run better so the reason for the filter head any way

looked underneath the van and it has had a solenoid done to it but it hasnt been dont correctly causing lack of power and take ages to start, so got another pump ready to fit monday morning :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby furnitureman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:51 am

After doing a leak back test my van wouldnt start tooknfuel filter off it was empty, turns out the o rings on return pioes were brittle fitted new ones and its sorted now, hopebyou get it sorted
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dan T » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 am

furnitureman wrote:After doing a leak back test my van wouldnt start tooknfuel filter off it was empty, turns out the o rings on return pioes were brittle fitted new ones and its sorted now, hopebyou get it sorted

This is a different fuel system.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby furnitureman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Dan T wrote:
furnitureman wrote:After doing a leak back test my van wouldnt start tooknfuel filter off it was empty, turns out the o rings on return pioes were brittle fitted new ones and its sorted now, hopebyou get it sorted

Shouldnt respond late at night i didnt notice van type, do the di engines not have fuel return pipes
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ionatransit » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks guys for all your help and a big thanks to Dan as you were spot on with the solinoid valve moving! Stripped it down and redid everything yesterday and the van now starts straight away and goes like a rocket. Just a quick question is this something that will happen again ?

Regarding the connectors on the fuel lines I fitted o rings to mine as well as there was a slight leak.
ionatransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dan T » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:34 pm

furnitureman wrote:
Dan T wrote:

Shouldnt respond late at night i didnt notice van type, do the di engines not have fuel return pipes

They do, but use banjo bolts and copper washers to seal them, so it's less likely to draw air unlike the tdci ones.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dan T » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 pm

ionatransit wrote:Thanks guys for all your help and a big thanks to Dan as you were spot on with the solinoid valve moving! Stripped it down and redid everything yesterday and the van now starts straight away and goes like a rocket. Just a quick question is this something that will happen again ?

Regarding the connectors on the fuel lines I fitted o rings to mine as well as there was a slight leak.

If you torque it correctly you should be fine. The correct setting is pretty tight :wink:
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits