*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 rear springs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: mk6 rear springs

Postby baldy1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 am

Hope this sorts the problem buddy..
I'm heading over to see them today for springs on mine
www.aucksidetuning.com

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.......
baldy1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby finnon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:17 pm

springs are stillllll the same. gonna have to go and speak to owens springs see what they can do. i followed the van yesterday and i could see the back of the van banging about off the axle at every bump.
present van is a 55 reg t280 85ps lwb semi high
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby finnon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 pm

went to owen springs today. gave them my original complete spring. the bloke there said he will sort out an extra leaf or 2 to uprate the springs they sold me.

hopefully this will solve the problem.

the way it is currently i have virtually no back suspension. infact i had a half ton dumpy bag of sharp sand put on yesterday. the van was totally empty and the bag went over the back axle. sat fully onto the bump stops. now if i was pulled by the police or vosa they would say the van is over weight. even if it isnt.

also when i got to where i was going too i got half the sand shoveled out and it was still on the bump stops. so a quarter of a ton is enough to totally collapse the back end.. not good like..

out of interest,.. what can a transit t280 or t300 (we think the van may be a 300 badged as a 280) carry
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 pm

finnon wrote:went to owen springs today. gave them my original complete spring. the bloke there said he will sort out an extra leaf or 2 to uprate the springs they sold me.

hopefully this will solve the problem.

the way it is currently i have virtually no back suspension. infact i had a half ton dumpy bag of sharp sand put on yesterday. the van was totally empty and the bag went over the back axle. sat fully onto the bump stops. now if i was pulled by the police or vosa they would say the van is over weight. even if it isnt.

also when i got to where i was going too i got half the sand shoveled out and it was still on the bump stops. so a quarter of a ton is enough to totally collapse the back end.. not good like..

out of interest,.. what can a transit t280 or t300 (we think the van may be a 300 badged as a 280) carry

The payload is around 1000kg, but that has to include everything, diesel, lunch, all the rubbish, plylining roof rack, tow bar etc
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby scouseant » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 am

Sounds too obvious to be true but they did put the hangers back on didnt they? I have just had new springs and mine had hangers which were about 6 inches long. If they didnt go back on, the ride height would be altered?

Are your springs being "sprung" to their limits because they are not strong enough? Or, are they not being sprung any more than your old ones?
scouseant
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby finnon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:11 pm

when i put the half dumpy bag in the other day. there was nowt else in the van. the springs went the oposite way so theyre being pushed beyond their limits i suppose.

bloke at the spring shop said the old one is a 1mm thicker at the centre point so he said that must make the difference. but i cant see that being the case i bet the original springs are way stronger. not just because of the extra 1mm.

the original spring is a single leaf. its now gonna be made up off a couplea leafs.
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby finnon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

quick update on this.

my van is now back to pretty much what it was before. it now has a 2 leaf set up on the back, whereas before it was a single leaf spring. i took the old spring to owen springs and they modified the underneath part (dunno what its called) anyways theyre fitted and its all good now. owen springs admitted it was pretty much their mistake and supplied the parts foc which was very good of them.

as a side not to any other transit owners. my van is badged up as a t280 and the log book says its a t280. however its according to ford a t300. on the rating plate where the passenger door shuts it has the numbers 3000 then the axle stuff etc. there must be a few of these vans kicking about. lwb mhr front wheel drive t280's as according to ford there isnt a lwb t280 in front wheel drive form. hence why i had such a hard job getting the correct springs in the first place.
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baldy1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:54 am

Pleased you got sorted mate..
At least your sorted now and OWENS rectified the issue
www.aucksidetuning.com

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.......
baldy1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits