*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 6 engine problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 6 engine problem

Postby wilding » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:32 pm

So today driving along and all of a sudden engine becomes quiet load (sounds like diesal knock) and a loss of power.

Will hardly pull up an incline I have to go into 1st or 2nd gear, can barely reach 50 mph on the flat and virtually stalls when pulling away in first.

It's a 2002 T280 2.0 l duratorq, any suggestions on what could be the problem.
wilding
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk 6 engine problem

Postby karl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

get a fault code read done first :)
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby ake » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:34 pm

As said get codes read, and then brace your self to replace the timing solenoid, or the entire pump
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby jay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

is it a tdci by any chance?
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wilding » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 pm

jay wrote:is it a tdci by any chance?

No it's not the tdci.
wilding
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wilding » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:30 pm

If it is the timing solenoid is it still ok to drive until the weekend, i'll do around 20 miles a day.
wilding
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby transit_bandit » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi
I have had this problem for the past 6 weeks and also smashed me way thru £700 and 3 mechanics trying to get rid of it! I've had my fuel lines terrace cleaned,new injectors fitted,oil filter &oil done,timing chain tensioner and pullies changed,new alternater, and now after all that it is the fuel pump timing solenoid!! U don't need a new pump! U don't need it recoding thus lining the pocket of some little smart arse with a laptop.it's £75 off eBay and a days graft.. I took front grill headlight out (as bought new grill and lights so wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone lol) and remove radiator.. unbolt the little bracket (on the pump) hiding the solenoid then the 2 torx bolts holding it to the bottom of thr pump.and remove now at this point you can either snip the wires and reconnect with solder and heat wrap or try and unplug from pump..I snipped and re soldered as could ed get to unplug. so if u go down that route make sure u leave enough wire to work with before cutting..fit new timing solenoid.and turn engine over mine worked straight away so ran for 30 seconds?stopped it started it!stopped it started it! All was good so rebuilt everything I'd removed and hey presto!!All good! So don't listen to people saying it'll cost hundreds in parts n retiring blah blah..its only if you have a new pump it needs re timing!!..
Hope this helps.Google it to see pics ect there's plenty online!. 8)
so because I have a bassbox in my van I should drive a saxo?!?! Wtf..?!?.. err..no!!
transit_bandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 am

transit_bandit wrote:Hi
I have had this problem for the past 6 weeks and also smashed me way thru £700 and 3 mechanics trying to get rid of it! I've had my fuel lines terrace cleaned,new injectors fitted,oil filter &oil done,timing chain tensioner and pullies changed,new alternater, and now after all that it is the fuel pump timing solenoid!! U don't need a new pump! U don't need it recoding thus lining the pocket of some little smart arse with a laptop.it's £75 off eBay and a days graft.. I took front grill headlight out (as bought new grill and lights so wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone lol) and remove radiator.. unbolt the little bracket (on the pump) hiding the solenoid then the 2 torx bolts holding it to the bottom of thr pump.and remove now at this point you can either snip the wires and reconnect with solder and heat wrap or try and unplug from pump..I snipped and re soldered as could ed get to unplug. so if u go down that route make sure u leave enough wire to work with before cutting..fit new timing solenoid.and turn engine over mine worked straight away so ran for 30 seconds?stopped it started it!stopped it started it! All was good so rebuilt everything I'd removed and hey presto!!All good! So don't listen to people saying it'll cost hundreds in parts n retiring blah blah..its only if you have a new pump it needs re timing!!..
Hope this helps.Google it to see pics ect there's plenty online!. 8)

Of course if you had had the fault codes read first, you would just have done the solenoid instead of all the other work!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am

And if you've got the correct knowledge and tools, the pump can be swapped without touching the timing too!
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby fumbduck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 am

@ transit_bandit
when you replaced your fuel timing solenoid
is there a secret on how to release more wire?
I'm going through my replacement right now but seem to have bugger all slack
it was barely enough to slide the solenoid out of it's hole
the second hand one I have as a replacement came with some sort of silver spring steel clip
is this somehow a retainer for the wiring?
I think I can spot the end of the clip on the one still in the van but couldn't get it of with a pair of pliers
does anyone have an exploded view or pic that shows how this fits together?
I noticed on my existing fuel timing solenoid that the wires are bare (insulation gone)
which I guess means the solenoid was probably just fine but the wires shorting out produces the fault
another tip for those to attempt this
make sure you use a decent quality (solid) torx T30 spanner
I thought I had a half decent set of L-shaped torx keys but the ones holding the solenoid in were pretty tight and I ended up buying a set you use on a 1/2 " socket set :)
2004 VH Transit 125-330 ex postie van
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:06 pm

fumbduck wrote:@ transit_bandit
when you replaced your fuel timing solenoid
is there a secret on how to release more wire?
I'm going through my replacement right now but seem to have bugger all slack
it was barely enough to slide the solenoid out of it's hole
the second hand one I have as a replacement came with some sort of silver spring steel clip
is this somehow a retainer for the wiring?
I think I can spot the end of the clip on the one still in the van but couldn't get it of with a pair of pliers
does anyone have an exploded view or pic that shows how this fits together?
I noticed on my existing fuel timing solenoid that the wires are bare (insulation gone)
which I guess means the solenoid was probably just fine but the wires shorting out produces the fault
another tip for those to attempt this
make sure you use a decent quality (solid) torx T30 spanner
I thought I had a half decent set of L-shaped torx keys but the ones holding the solenoid in were pretty tight and I ended up buying a set you use on a 1/2 " socket set :)

Cut the wires tight to the old solenoid, then crimp or solder them to the new solenoid
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits