*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Noisy engine/diesel knock

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Noisy engine/diesel knock

Postby Davie McW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm

My 2005 t90 350 2.4 duratorque engine has developed a knocking sound. No warning indicator on the dash and van seems to still drive ok. The noise is intermittent and sometimes sounds smooth. Happens when cold or war..I think it could be a fuel issue. I only purchased the van recently but it seemed to lack power so I added fuel additive to it which seemed to make a slight improvement but now it's developed a knocking noise....any ideas folks?
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Noisy engine/diesel knock

Postby grollie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 am

Get it code read as could be fuel timing solenoid on pump?
grollie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Davie McW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 am

Will hopefully put a diagnostic test on it today. Typical it happens now as its conversion to camper/weekender van nears completion :-(
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Davie McW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am

no joy with diagnostic tool. couldn't communicate?? have ordered a ford specific one feom ebay but ive decided to go down the route of pulling the injectors for overhaul. i bought the van with zero history so if i do the injectors as the book suggests every 60k miles its a good starting point for building history. the inlet manifold was pretty manky and the egr valve needs a good clean (tho free movement). i havent pulled the injectors yet so unsure if they are delphi ones. has anyone fitted different with positive results? my engine is the 2.4 tddi 90 (not common rail type)
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby grollie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Not Delphi on Tddi so youre safe there but i think there has been cases of the tips of the ijectors breaking off. Fordscan or fordscan 2 should read your van. Ake or winterheating good for advice
grollie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby grollie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Sorry F super
grollie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Davie McW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:58 pm

thanks for reply. i pulled injectors and all look in order on the outside. i did find one loose and one missing rocker carrier stud on the inlet side. i fished around the valve gear with a magnet and found the stud which looks like it had been cross threaded or stripped at some point.also the rockers in the vacintiy seem to have loads of play. too much in my opnion. bout half inch. now wondering if the cam followers have dislodged from the rocker arm resulting in no inlet valves opening to that cyl. no air = no bang hence the rough running? does anyone know how much clearance is normal on the rockers? will still get injectors tested since they're out anyway
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Your timing chain has jumped.Check you cam carrier for cracks and take off your front cover and check timing
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Davie McW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm

ah fek ..that duzny sound like much fun :cry: any walk throughs/tips be apprecaited
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby grollie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:19 pm

It aint usually means new head and timing chain kit because jumping chain means pistons hit valve/s and that means rockers get knocked and the bolts pull and it cracks tha cam carrier which are line bored so top and bottom match so new head or good secondhand one im afraid if Bambi mk 1 is correct
grollie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Davie McW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 pm

just going back to when it happened. van was driving along bout 20mph at the time when it started sounding rough, i changed down a gear n drove a couple hundred yards when noise cleared and engine sounded smooth again. this happened a few more times before i parked up at home. next day started van and sounded fine, after a minute the rough knocking noise came back. If it was timing issue would it not run rough constantly? thinthe loose rocker studs and flappy rocker arms wud suggest timing probs i agree
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Davie McW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:12 pm

injectors tested and are all good so now know prob is def with the timing. oh well top end strip down it is.!
Davie McW
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits