*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Breaker one nine...

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Breaker one nine...

Postby Owlie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Hello folks. Know there is one or two people on here with C.Bs.

What's the best way of wiring one in on a MK6? Don't want to use a cig plug, was hoping for a more permanent solution. Direct to the battery under the seat? Or from the jump point under the bonnet? Not great with wiring, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Got my eye on a Cobra DX, as my Nightwatch is okay in my lorry, but far to big for the van!

Cheers, Joe.
Owlie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Breaker one nine...

Postby TriumphStag » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Get a piggy back fuse adapter and connect it to an existing fuse good buddy, Cobra DX's are good rigs.
2004 MK6 2.4 Duratorq MWB Medium Roof (in white!)
TriumphStag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Owlie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Cheers, would that be a fuse under the dashboard then? On the passenger side? Would it have to be one that's live with the ignition? Like the fag lighter?

Hoping for good things from the DX, my Nightwatch LTD 29 has been great, but it's the size of the yellow pages! Proper old School rig :lol:
Owlie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TriumphStag » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes, under the drinks holder recess on the passenger side (pull the cover up from the front), open the fusebox, find one that is live with the ignition (test lamp or multi-meter) and replace it with one of these:http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 42&alt=web

Then fit two fuses into it, one will be the original that you removed, the other for the wire that comes off it that you then run to the rig.

My last rig was a Rotel 240 but that was back in the 90s!
TriumphStag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Owlie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for that, just had a quick look on the bay, fuse holder things are cheap :D

So the live to that fuse link, earthed elsewhere, happy days? Seeing a few more motors knocking about with twigs on. Never know, might even find someone to talk too :lol:
Owlie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Darren.w » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Looking at this makes me want to buy a cb for some reason lol. What's the best starter one to buy the Cobra DX ?? Sorry for the high jack lol.
Cheers
Darren.w
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Owlie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello Darren. Don't know if the DX is a good starter rig or not. But it fits the two main criteria. It's small and CHEAP! Made by Cobra, name I trust because the one fitted in my lorry has been perfect. Was left in there by the previous tennant( cheers Eddie) So I've no idea how old it is!
Owlie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Darren.w » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi. Ah right I see. I've never used a cb before but always fancied one. So think I might go for one :). Thanks
Darren.w
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TriumphStag » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Twig, bloody hell, not heard that for a while.... 10-4, so you going for mag mount or fixed? I had a Vitara up until about two years ago which had a tank whip on it (had a rig fitted before my ownership) previous owner had wired the stereo to that aerial.

Yes, that supplies the 12v and you then earth to the body behind the dash. There is a good earth point in that fusebox area behind the fascia panel that looks like it should be an airbag!
TriumphStag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Owlie » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:37 am

Will be using a Thunderpole mag mount I've got kicking about. Gutter mount might be on the cards though cause it annoys the local Tesco garage people when it scrapes on the forecourt roof :D

Always thought mag mounts had a better earth? Or is it just a ease of fitment thing?
Owlie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits