*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My continued Tourneo woes - engine failure

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

My continued Tourneo woes - engine failure

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:14 pm

I bought my Tourneo a few weeks ago, knowing that it was Category D and had had a recon engine fitted (just before I bought it). Didn't even get it home before the clutch went, so had the clutch and DMF replaced.

Next was flashing engine management light followed by limp mode and then engine cut out. This was eventually identified to be a dodgy fuel filter housing, that was cleared up and the seals replaced.

Then the intercooler pipe popping off which seems to have been fixed by cleaning oil off it and reattaching and tightening it down.

So the latest - we embark on our first proper journey from the south coast to Birmingham. We make it as far as the m40 before the engine develops a sort of grinding, rattling sound which gets progressively louder. By the time I'm able to pull off into a layby there is smoke billowing from under the van and we all pile out. Fortunately nothing was actually on fire.

The garage it was recovered to tell me the engine is spraying oil into the exhaust system (which would explain the smoke) and have advised it will need a new engine.

Anyone have any experience of how repairable the 2l TDCI is, or what the fault is likely to be? Is a new engine likely to be the way to go?
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: My continued Tourneo woes - engine failure

Postby jay » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

go back to the recon people might be a start
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nellychat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:45 am

Had a similar situation once before but with a Seat (different engine I know :D ), mine turned out to be the turbo. Same symptoms you are describing though.
'06 mk6 85/280 fwd swb low roof. (Suffered fuel pump death)
58 mk7 115/350 rwd mwb high roof.
nellychat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby whitemice » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:56 pm

I am available for contract hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:26 am

Update: it seems nellychat was right, the turbo has gone. First garage it was recovered to wanted 1500 all in. A trader friend contacted the garage he uses and they've quoted £250 to fit plus the cost of the part. Let's see how it goes.
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Just a quick update on this:

it was the turbo, it was replaced and the engine bay and exhaust thoroughly cleaned out. During this process the garage reported that the vehicle had sustained accident damage to the rear and the front passenger side, and I decided to sell it on.

I'm told since then some injectors have gone and the starter motor failed, so I'm well rid. I hope the new owner manages to get it running. I kind of got attached to it in the short time I had it, like a friendly but incontinent dog.
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits