*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How many Mk6 petrol/lpg are out there.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: How many Mk6 petrol/lpg are out there.

Postby emlclcy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am

cheers for that I will txt him. it turns out after looking over the van this weekend it has an LPGTECH 224 system. I'm a bit worried I may have screwed up, the van ran fine on the way home after the purchase but on petrol. when I filled up with gas it would not tick over. so I tried switching over whilst cruising and she seem to run ok. then after about 50 miles she started to miss so I switched back to petrol only to find it was the same. cruising on the level at say 50mph she ran fine but any extra accelerator she went on three cylinders and drove bad. I changed the plugs this weekend (old plugs had a large gap) and she seemed to run a lot better so now i'm confussed what to check for next. lambda sensor? plug leads (they didn't look that good) burnt valve (compression test)
ant suggestions welcomed!
carl
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi Carl they are actually very good engines but finicky , first thing to do is change the plugs and leads have a good look and see if there is any arching around the coils if there is change them as well .
I do not know if your system is a factory fit but i have found that it pays ( especially if using NGK platinum plugs ) to close the plug gaps , then when replacing everything to coat the lid that covers the plugs with a good brand marine grease to stop any water ingress to where the plugs / coils etc sit .
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby emlclcy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm

i did buy a new set of plugs on sat (50quid from auto dealer), took the van for a brief drive and it seemed to have cured the problem (running on petrol) but it has gone back to how it was last week so I ordered a pair of plug leads today and will report back on progress.
the old plugs that came out seemed to have a large gap, the colour was ok. do you have a recommended gap to set them at? I could adjust them tomorrow when fittiong the leads, as it will be dark should be able to see any arking.
cheers for the input
carl
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby emlclcy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 pm

emlclcy wrote:i did buy a new set of plugs on sat (50quid from auto dealer), took the van for a brief drive and it seemed to have cured the problem (running on petrol) but it has gone back to how it was last week so I ordered a pair of plug leads today and will report back on progress.
the old plugs that came out seemed to have a large gap, the colour was ok. do you have a recommended gap to set them at? I could adjust them tomorrow when fittiong the leads, as it will be dark should be able to see any arking.
cheers for the input
carl

van update - I changed the 2 plug leads tonight and took her for a spin, now this morning I could hardly make 45mph up a gradual hill on a motorway, boy night and day, she flies (on petrol)! the next task is to tune the lpgtech ecu, the usb cable should be here this week so will report back on lpg tuning
carl
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bj928 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Forum name ................ Model..................... LPG working Y/N
1 / mealic..................swb low roof 04..................Yes 111,000 factory fit
2 / Madmart132...........Jumbo 03 lpg.....................Yes ( But not Factory fit !!) 250,000 miles now 25 mpg Pet 17-22.5 mpg gas
3 / User774................Swb low roof 54..................Yes 200,000 miles, london traffic so no idea of mpg. Lpg used in traffic, petrol used at speed.
4 / rogerw............. ....Swb low roof 03 ..................None
5 / Rowdey-................MWB/MR. 2003................... 205,000. Factory LPG with extra 90l tank.
6 / rikki19 .................MWB mid roof 2001 ..............2.3 petrol 270klms....no lpg
7 / Chimplad28............Mwb high roof, 51.................Yes,119000, Aftermarket 2.3 Petrol, Roughly 20mpg on gas
8 / Andycaravan...........LWB High roof 2002...............Yes ( with rpobs ) 195k factory 18 - 20 mpg fitted extra 145 ltr tank get 750+ miles per fill
9 / injected................MWB pick up 02....................yes, was Vialle now BRC
10/ injected................MWB pick up 02................... Yes, was Vialle, now BRC
11/ injected................MWB pick up 05....................yes, factory LPG
12/ zobby...................MWB high Roof 03.................55,500 miles, factory LPG NOT-WORKING, Petrol Perfect!!
13/ Captain Hook..........SWB Lowroof 2004.................Factory LPG
14/ Captain Hook..........SWB Lowroof 2005.................Factory LPG (Project!)
15/ Weeds...................SWB low roof 01...................No LPG 250K/Kms
16/ VGM.....................SWB Low Roof 53..................2.3 LPG, 145k LPG Not Working Fine On Petrol
17/ moschops...............LWB Semi-Hi roof................Petrol ok, LPG only works when engine v.hot
18/Kevin ....................mwb Hi roof .....................BRC after market works well about 22 mpg on gas.
19/ TransitBiFuel...........SWB MR RWD......................174K miles, , factory Bi-Fuel.......Works great petrol and LPG
20/ RockyR07...............SWB Low Roof 52................Yes, Factory LPG, 100k miles
21/ Oilit.....................SWB Low roof 05.................yes, Factory LPG, 80,000 lpg & petrol all working
22/ mr2ange...............SWB Mid roof RWD 03...........yes, Factory LPG, 94,000 lpg & petrol all working
23/ Jinxedlimbs............Jumbo 04 LPG....................No, Factory fitted but its getting ripped out as its dud 200000 miles +
24/ Bj928....................SWB Low roof.....................fatory lpg, works great on both but only running one 3 cylinders
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby emlclcy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 pm

van update - I changed the 2 plug leads tonight and took her for a spin, now this morning I could hardly make 45mph up a gradual hill on a motorway, boy night and day, she flies (on petrol)! the next task is to tune the lpgtech ecu, the usb cable should be here this week so will report back on lpg tuning
carl[/quote]

van update - the lpgtech lead arrived this weekend so after configuring a tablet to have a com port it connected to the ecu 1st time. I changed a couple of parameters which now makes the petrol / gas changover faultless (doesn't miss a single beat) BUT looking at the sensor information the MAF sensor doesn't seem to be functioning so i'm on the lookout for another one. unplugging it when running on petrol makes no difference.
also the lambda probe output should modulate rich lean rich lean and that doesnt work either!
watch this space...
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RockyR07 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi, i know this is not relevant to how many are out there......but those that are out there could well help me. My alternator belt snapped and i have no idea on how its routed around the pulleys. Can someone who's 2.3l lpg mk6 transit is running please either send me a photo of how it is routed or advise me....

Many thanks guys and gals.
RockyR07
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby emlclcy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 pm

WHERE ARE YOU?
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moto » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Rocky - Alternator straight across to Power steering, down to crank,around then up and over, down around and back to alt. Look at your engine, it will make sense!

LPG swb - Gas working (Surprisingly well)

Are these stupidly economical on a run normally? Not long had this one, and seems way, way too good. Also run a Jeep Grand at that one will take us from Bristol to Essex on £25.....the transit only seems to be going on and on!
moto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bj928 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 pm

RockyR07 wrote:Hi, i know this is not relevant to how many are out there......but those that are out there could well help me. My alternator belt snapped and i have no idea on how its routed around the pulleys. Can someone who's 2.3l lpg mk6 transit is running please either send me a photo of how it is routed or advise me....

Many thanks guys and gals.

mine has AC, and its difficult to get a pic, seems to go round everything, then come up from the bottom pulley and go over the tensioner in the middle of the engine
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby emlclcy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:20 pm

I have a 2ltr vw Passat with an LPG system that was fitted 4 years ago. The cars going to the scrap yard next week and its to much hastle for me to remove the system and sell it on ebay so if you want to replace the standard lpg system on your transit its FREE to a good home! I live in Hampshire btw
It ran faultlessly for the last 100k miles, switches over without missing a beat.
my MK6 has an LPGTECH system and works fine so no use to me
cheers
carl
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moto » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Quick off topic question here.....In case it was something the LPG ones had, but do they all have two batteries, or one like the diesels. I was about to put a second one in, to find one (or 2 rather) already there under the seat.
moto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mealic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Is yours by chance a moondust silver ex clear channel /ad-shel company owned? They used to service the shelters around London and had the plastic lining installed and 12v socket outlets in the back. Possibly a prefix of VK in the reg.

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby moto » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm

mealic wrote:Is yours by chance a moondust silver ex clear channel /ad-shel company owned? They used to service the shelters around London and had the plastic lining installed and 12v socket outlets in the back. Possibly a prefix of VK in the reg.

Lol! You know your stuff! Yes, Ex Clear Channel, VK prefix! - all the back had been removed. You can see it had some heavy duty something in there! No sockets, might have to have a poke around and see if the inverter is still there somewhere, could be handy! Well that saves on putting a split charger and battery in. :D
moto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mealic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

They were fitted with at least two 12v DIN accessory sockets. One around the SLD area and another on the rear pillar to the rear doors.This might help you find some cabling.Never seen one with an inverter fitted as standard though.

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits