*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Idiots guide to IDS

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Idiots guide to IDS

Postby Wadey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Iv been toying with the idea of getting myself one I'm getting more and more mk7s and iv been borrowing either new ethoses off my dealer on "demo" if I need to program a pump or my mates out dated solus well I kind of left it in a car all weekend and now I'm not allowed to borrow that anymore I don't really do cars unless I can help it so I don't need to spend lots of money's on something that won't be transit specific
I know this has been covered lots and lots of times and I'm sorry but I really can't be bothered to read them all :lol:
I think if Iv got it right this is the best place to get one Www.obdtool.co.uk but witch one?
what do I need I run it an old laptop a tablet ? A net book? and can I really get it very wrong when using it on a van?? Is it like the snap on stuff that is basically yes no etc etc??
Sorry it's a lot but don't want to waste my money on junk that will just annoy me
Any help would be greatly appreciated
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 am

This is the one I have Wadey:

http://www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/best ... -tool.html

Works fine, I had a bunch of help from Loot to get it up and running properly, (thanks mate). I use a cheap old Toshiba lappy running XP and thus far it has worked well. I have nothing else on the lappy but I'm sure it could if need be.

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HughF » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:31 am

I use fordiag and have just added ids to my toolbox as well. For scoping live data and code work I prefer fordiag but ids and a vcm2 clone is handy for the other stuff. Mine came from ebay china.
2002 EX BT white bodied camper - 85k, interior refitted this year, keeper... totally reliable
2007 EX RAC - not yet gone, not yet forgotten

Dorset...
HughF
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RyanJJones » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:41 am

Does that linked item work on a Mk6 2005 2.0 tdci?

And does it have more intelligent diagnostics than the cheap ebay FordDiag type?

(e.g. can you actuate turbo through the sw and run "tests" rather than just sensor values?)

For €120 its a bargain if it can, and comes with software and hardware. I guess it isn't legit?
RyanJJones
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Vcm2 ids is a clone of what the manufacturers machine does and so in principle, if the manufacturers ids will do what you ask, and it is a function of the van to perform these tests then it should work, that said, we don't have an exhaustive list of what it won't do, a couple of ppl have had problem changing the mk6 axle for example, but we don't know if it was the clone or whether it can be done, hopefully someone will try it and then go to Ford and see if they succeed (but don't count on it just yet)
I wouldn't be without it for my mk7, mk6 I'm not so sure but yes you will be happy with it.

Aftermarket systems i think are made to read the pids and then the software interprets it, ids uses the actual ford software and the hardware is built to perform the function the same way.
The longevity of the hardware remains to be seen tho:-(
My vcm1 lasted a year and broke, my first vcm2 still works but has been playing up :-(
I have a spare tho :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby BabyDontYurtMe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Im going to be that pleb... What does IDS exactly stand for? Struggling to google it - keep being told International Dance Supplies and figure thats not what youre using as a diagnostic tool for your van :roll:

Also, do you all use OBD2 readers or laptops with these plug IDS thingies for diagnostics? I have been considering getting one but not sure on pros/cons etc. Im a poor student btw so price is a factor!
Completed the Mongolia Charity Rally 2015 with a beautiful Mk6 LWB high roof Transit.
We loved it so much, we have just purchased a Mk7 LWB high roof Transit to do some staycationing!
BabyDontYurtMe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RyanJJones » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:31 pm

IDS= Integrated Diagnostics Software

So loot, that dongle includes the software too?

You may remember my "issue" with Ford "experts" (at a recommended place) just following set process and doing f*ck all diagnostics or even, for example, requesting turbo actuator movement. Then charging me more than this item telling me I needed a new intercooler as the MAP sensor was faulty - the fact it wasn't and I could prove it wasn't.... (Was the EGR/Tubro vacuum pipes swapped).

Don't get me started lol - I've only just got out of therapy.

I'm sure an unskilled idiot with a brain and access to IDS would do better than a skilled idiot too stupid to think.

**BREATHE******* :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
RyanJJones
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:15 pm

RyanJJones wrote:IDS= Integrated Diagnostics Software

So loot, that dongle includes the software too?

You may remember my "issue" with Ford "experts" (at a recommended place) just following set process and doing f*ck all diagnostics or even, for example, requesting turbo actuator movement. Then charging me more than this item telling me I needed a new intercooler as the MAP sensor was faulty - the fact it wasn't and I could prove it wasn't.... (Was the EGR/Tubro vacuum pipes swapped).

Don't get me started lol - I've only just got out of therapy.

I'm sure an unskilled idiot with a brain and access to IDS would do better than a skilled idiot too stupid to think.

**BREATHE******* :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Steady on there Ryan, i can fix things with spanners too you know :lol:

Dongle? Wi-Fi dongle no, forddiag/cheaper type, no, it is a hardware device that can read some of the modules on the van but provably not all.
All manufacturers by law have to provide user accessible pcm/emission module data, hence most readers will read engine fault data.
Other modules aren't always included, so unless the reader is sophisticated enough to be able to access all modules and negotiate with them then they draw a blank.
Also, generic readers will read the engine fault code but the software is what tells us what the code means (generic ones can lead us up the garden path with their description of the fault.
There is a fault reader dongle that uses Ford ids software but i think it will be limited in what it can do :-(
I'm currently looking into modifying an elm 327 dongle so i can hack into can bus, just for fun :o

Lol Ryan i hope i don't get on the wrong side of you, good job you don't hold a grudge isn't it :lol:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Wadey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 pm

What's the difference between v86 and v91?? And an old laptop running xp will be fine?? As my newest ones runing 8 and to be honest is annoying as hell ! But my old one still works but it's slow I'm sure if I wipe it and start agin it should be ok
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I haven't tried 91 i was stuck on 84 till i manned up and installed 86.04 on my dell mini 10 with Windows 7, I'm very happy with it :-)(mostly because the dell holds ages of charge, Is smaller, and charges better compared to my Sony VAIO.
As for software differences I'm not sure, still waiting on custom owners to tell us if 91 works on them, i don't think 86 does but that's all i know :o
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Wadey wrote:What's the difference between v86 and v91?? And an old laptop running xp will be fine?? As my newest ones runing 8 and to be honest is annoying as hell ! But my old one still works but it's slow I'm sure if I wipe it and start agin it should be ok

Wadey, I use v86 on my old lappy running xp, I think from memory v86 is good for machines up to ~2012 or so. All the calibrations etc in v86 worked fine on my 2008 Mk7...you should be fine with it too. I think v91 just has updated calibrations from v86, although I do stand corrected on that.

As mentioned before, Loot helped me a lot with a few things when I first got my IDS setup....now I can just plug in and be up and running in no time, just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots :wink:
At first I spent an hour or so just looking around all the available software options/items, checking for and DTC's and clearing some which had been kept in memory....then I did a couple of simple tests such as the throttle pedal sensor check, turbo/MAP operation and all went well...I then did a pump & injector learn along with a few other things and my van is now running nice and smooth. It starts easy, runs nice and returns pretty good mpg...so I'm a happy chappy.

I've just purchased a new EGR valve and blanking plate (with the small hole in it) for when the EGR finally gives up....although it is working well thus far...my beast has only just gone past 53,000km (~33k miles) so I guess it might last a bit longer yet....fingers crossed :|

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RyanJJones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm

@loot - lol! That comment wasn't meant at you as I know you know :) I have *huge* respect for your contributions here and with my previous problems.

And yes, I've heard I hold grudges before, but only against complete idiots/*unts who should know better. Its very very rare for me to get riled :) In the unmentionable instance, I was let down by someone I trusted (past tense), and let down by experts. Only this forum helped and saved me.
RyanJJones
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:16 pm

I'll stick with v86 then thanks guys there seems to be a lot of people who can help me once iv got it !
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Wadey wrote:I'll stick with v86 then thanks guys there seems to be a lot of people who can help me once iv got it !

If I can help I will do my best...I'm a bit of a novice at IDS though and all it's gubbins.. :roll:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 pm

8)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits