*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox gave birth to a bolt!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Gearbox gave birth to a bolt!

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:18 am

cyrus883 wrote:hi mate I have a box here if you want to book a pallet ur welcome to it as u got to save a bit of dolla to wet babys head

Now there's a kind offer right there...well done Sir cyrus883..!

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 am

APH wrote:That looks very much like the selector pinch bolt that we all threadlock back in, which if it is, it can be got at by just removing the selector turret off the top of the box, however as others have said, what damage has it done to cogs / rest of box as it was "ejected" :shock: :?
Andy :D
Edit: picture 6 in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=111349 :wink:

Methinks APH is correct.. :(

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CuppaT » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 pm

No chance of patching that... at least despite a number of attempts I never managed to! Had the same on mine.. well previous owner did but managed to bodge it well enough that I didn't notice :oops:
03 100T300 MWB MRoof
00 CL55AMG :D 88 quattro turbo, 96 Subaru STi, 75 Triumph Stag, Too many Land/Range Rovers to list
And proof that junk expands to occupy all available space (or so I am told by my ever tolerant and understanding better half)!
CuppaT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke J » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:35 pm

APH wrote:That looks very much like the selector pinch bolt that we all threadlock back in, which if it is, it can be got at by just removing the selector turret off the top of the box, however as others have said, what damage has it done to cogs / rest of box as it was "ejected" :shock: :?

Andy :D

Edit: picture 6 in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=111349 :wink:

I did do some serious reading up and I am pretty sure your right, and looking at the bolt it looks like it went straight out like a vindaloo when it got towed backwards. the shrapnel matches perfectley with the bolt deformastion and the two cuts in the bolt are so clean that you can see the tooling marks from the crown gear. If it is that bolt I am so saved. The box I think is in amazing nick. I'm taking the selector head of tomorrow and am praying that bolts missing.
cyrus883 wrote:hi mate I have a box here if you want to book a pallet ur welcome to it as u got to save a bit of dolla to wet babys head

That's a diamond offer and I may well take you up on it, I'm still gonna have to investigate tomorrow and attemt the bodge, the wifey will need the car and the van gets me and my son to work. Altough having this comming week off for the right reasons is getting filled up for all the wrong reasons. Self employed is swings and roundabouts, lol.

Ohh and f*** cherry one the top, because it has been standing for 2 days, some cnt tried to break into the back. Pulled back the top of the barn door to have a look. Not that there was anything in it other than piles of shite. but still a kick in the balls.
'03 Mk6 T260 2.0 Duratorq Low roof SWB , EGR blanked and cleaned 95K. Sometimes White.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke J » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm in luck! I took the selector out today, that bolts missing, :D :D :D :D
The whole thing looks like new, the seals are good to, everything is nice and easy to move on it, no signs of seizing up.
I had to go 2 places for the gearbox oil. I have 2 x 1lt bottles of Coma 75w90 gl5 semi synthetic. All I could get, as there seems to be a recent mass buying of the stuff local. The last place had some MT75, but I didn't fancy mixing and I think thats for the older boxes, I remember something about this with my Granda box 10 years ago and my smiley 6 years ago.
Am I right thinking I need 2.25lts? I didn't look for a place to put the oil in apart from the selector mounting hole. How do I know I have put enough in, level with said hole maybe?
I also have a new bolt, quick setting jb weld and granvil repair putty. I tested both and the putty sets up pretty hard, the jbweld not so sure. I have some other tricks up my sleeve for the hole.
'03 Mk6 T260 2.0 Duratorq Low roof SWB , EGR blanked and cleaned 95K. Sometimes White.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:13 am

Luke J wrote:I'm in luck! I took the selector out today, that bolts missing, :D :D :D :D
The whole thing looks like new, the seals are good to, everything is nice and easy to move on it, no signs of seizing up.
I had to go 2 places for the gearbox oil. I have 2 x 1lt bottles of Coma 75w90 gl5 semi synthetic. All I could get, as there seems to be a recent mass buying of the stuff local. The last place had some MT75, but I didn't fancy mixing and I think thats for the older boxes, I remember something about this with my Granda box 10 years ago and my smiley 6 years ago.
Am I right thinking I need 2.25lts? I didn't look for a place to put the oil in apart from the selector mounting hole. How do I know I have put enough in, level with said hole maybe?
I also have a new bolt, quick setting jb weld and granvil repair putty. I tested both and the putty sets up pretty hard, the jbweld not so sure. I have some other tricks up my sleeve for the hole.

I'd be more worried about what damage the bolt did on it's travels through the gearbox before it was chewed up and ejected by the crown wheel.....there's lots of spinny roundy bits in there and they don't take kindly to foreign objects...I guess you've got nothing to loose but be careful, you could end up doing more damage.

Also...I suspect unless the area which you plan to JB-weld is perfectly oil free...it won't stick and you'll be facing the same problem again.

Lord Knobrot.

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke J » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:37 am

Well, shes all back together. She sounds fine, I drove her around about local for a few hours for a road test. I have to say vans a lot warmer than the scenic and I got all the mod cons, so i wasn't bored. But driving around over and over again like a copper in your own neighbourhood does feel strange.
I filled the oil up 2 days ago, I have a bit of a leak nothing major. Now I can drive her I am gonna put her on my mates lift and sort that out.
Ahh, the baby still hasn't budged. He's way over due.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Great news Luke j
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:57 am

Luke J wrote:Well, shes all back together. She sounds fine, I drove her around about local for a few hours for a road test. I have to say vans a lot warmer than the scenic and I got all the mod cons, so i wasn't bored. But driving around over and over again like a copper in your own neighbourhood does feel strange.
I filled the oil up 2 days ago, I have a bit of a leak nothing major. Now I can drive her I am gonna put her on my mates lift and sort that out.
Ahh, the baby still hasn't budged. He's way over due.

Well that's a surprise to me...! I'd be guessing it wouldn't last long at all, well done to you Sir...and I'm quite amazed the bold didn't do any damage to anything else on it's travels to the outside world.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits