*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.4 gradual power loss

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2.4 gradual power loss

Postby StevoM » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi all

LWB RWD 56 reg 350/115ps

My early Mk7 2.4 has gradually lost power and yesterday I realised it'd lost a lot, i needed third for a hill that it used to just about do in top (6 speed). It's also pretty crap on fuel and never goes over high 20's.
Knocks quite hard when it's cold and you put your foot down.
It doesn't seem to be associated with a particular fill up as I get my fuel from various places including supermarkets.
I don't do huge milage and the van can sit for a few days unused
Around 128K miles
New filters late last year, probably done around 3k on them.

I have a blanking plate on the EGR, the engine light is on all the time as expected. the codes seem to indicate a MAP sensor fault but I can read them again and let you know (Bluetooth adaptor and Torque app on my phone).
Is there things I need to be looking at or checking?

I'm going to take the particle filter off and check it.
I'll also get fuel from a branded station and add a bottle of cleaner to see if that helps.
Pressure relief and reg valves?

Also which software is recommended for a DIY mechanic to be able to do things like pump learn and injector coding?
I'm an engineer with many years of practical hands on mechanicing and tuning of racing bike engines, I'm also aware of the dangers of high pressure diesel systems and know not to look for leaks etc like you would on the old mechanical systems.

Regards
Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk7 2.4 gradual power loss

Postby StevoM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm

No one any ideas?

Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby StevoM » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi all, still struggling my way through this.

I've now got forscan and have still got the previous codes along with P062b which seems to have a variety of causes.

Would it be best to get a PCM update and then have them clear the codes and start again, I've also ready that a pump learn will fail with my MAF errors, is this correct?
I'm thinking a new EGR valve and PCM update along with a new pump learn and counter reset will get me a better error code reading so I can identify the cause of my power loss.

The trouble is I'm not confident in our local Ford dealer, I asked the mechanic about pump learns and counter resets and his answer was ????, he just puts new valves on and away the van goes!
Is there anyone local to the Kendal that has a good reputation?

Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby StevoM » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:24 pm

I think I've found the main problem, the lever on the side of the turbo has rusted and snapped so I guess this will have a detrimental effect on power!

Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:26 pm

StevoM wrote:I think I've found the main problem, the lever on the side of the turbo has rusted and snapped so I guess this will have a detrimental effect on power!

Steve

That could be an issue!

The map faults are because the egr is blanked.
Unblank egr, clear codes, then run it and see which ones reoccur (after fixing turbo)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby StevoM » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've fixed the turbo now, got lucky and it all freed up nicely and I managed to drill out the broken bit in situ, van goes like stink again.

I've fitted a new EGR and that has cleared the engine light after a few stop starts, I'll read the codes tomorrow and then clear them and see what happens.

I've also got the van booked in for a PCM update at the local Ford garage, they thought it'd be around £50 so I'll just get it done.

Anyway I hope my problem and solution help someone in the future and I'll post an update once the PCM update is done.

Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby StevoM » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Just had the PCM update today and it's smoothed things out and the slightly unstable tickover that had come back after fitting a new EGR is smooth again.
The noisy rattle when cold and accelerating seems to be gone as well.
Throttle feels a little less responsive but that's for the better, I'd got used to it but before it was very aggressive on partial throttle, now you can drive a lot more smoothly. Still plenty of power and will go up the hill out of our local town in 5th and 6th.
Just have to check all the codes again in a few days to make sure I've fixed everything.

Steve
StevoM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits