*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

quality of EBAY discs?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

quality of EBAY discs?

Postby bluphoto » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 pm

Are these any good (for my 2006 mk7 110/280 FWD)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-TRA ... 43c9604830

Seem cheap enough but don't want to be setting myself up for problems by saving £20 or so.
bluphoto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: quality of EBAY discs?

Postby mealic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Assuming that the TPUK logo is Transit Parts UK they are a forum sponsor. Phone them direct and get a quote. You never know you might get a better price.
01268 574423 ask them if the parts are a recognised brand .
You could also try Tim (dieselhead 123) on here too. Also a trade sponsor

Hope this helps

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 pm

bluphoto wrote:Are these any good (for my 2006 mk7 110/280 FWD)?

Seem cheap enough but don't want to be setting myself up for problems by saving £20 or so.

Whereabouts are you :?: I've got this complete set (front and rear) discs, pads and all the relevant clips and bolts etc (listed for 2.2 2006 0nwards) UNIPART so Good quality I want £100 for the lot :!:

Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby angeleye » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Mr RVM wrote:
bluphoto wrote:Are these any good (for my 2006 mk7 110/280 FWD)?

Whereabouts are you :?: I've got this complete set (front and rear) discs, pads and all the relevant clips and bolts etc (listed for 2.2 2006 0nwards) UNIPART so Good quality I want £100 for the lot :!:

what makes you think there top quality :?:
there repackaged in the midlands and are made from all over the world,you go into some ford dealers and they will tell you there crap brake discs/drums as they sell them...there just ok sort of stuff
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 pm

I never stated that they were TOP quality :!: I said GOOD quality (I am aware of the fact that some of the "Bigger" names have their stuff manufactured abroad and then pack them in their own "branded" boxes but UNIPART and MOTORCRAFT (and a few others) tend to have slightly "tighter" specification demands from their suppliers

Interested to hear what stuff would be considered the "Best" stuff to get (Apec, Mintex and Ferodo all have stuff made abroad and most OE stuff doesnt get made here either) :!:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby angeleye » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:01 am

yes you did say good quality.i amit the pads should be ok there made for unipart by the same company as pagid,which for some reason are a better pad than unipart, :?: the discs i think are a different matter,all comes down to grade of material they use,and as they are constantly looking for cheaper suppliers like every one else,grade go up and down all the time,.i wouldnt even say i wouldnt buy unipart i would but i wouldnt expect it to last long,but the price i pay would be no where near what you are selling for,but im fortunate i no someone who can get it for me ,(all legal)...unipart do make some good stuff and supply manufacturere direct,ive couried for unipart many times
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 am

Well the above lot but "Pagid" rather than Unipart would set you back £200 (give or take a couple of quid) at Eurocarparts today :wink: and the rears alone (which is all the OP really wants) would cost £108 :shock: so I don't think I'm being unreasonable for asking half the money Euro want for theirs :roll:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby angeleye » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:34 am

Not questioning your price gary.And as i said pads are made by same company as pagid.so could well be exactly same pads
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BabyDontYurtMe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Brake discs are just solid castings of metal which are machined to specification.

Normally (you would hope) as price goes up, dimensional tolerances get tighter and the quality of metal goes up too.
But since these discs are just getting rubbed a bit, quality of metal really isnt an issue. Even if your brake gets "hot", theyre never going to go above 500c unless youre literally racing your van on a track.

I always buy the cheapest, nastiest discs I can find and then get good pads. As long as they are bedded in carefully, you should never go wrong with them.
Completed the Mongolia Charity Rally 2015 with a beautiful Mk6 LWB high roof Transit.
We loved it so much, we have just purchased a Mk7 LWB high roof Transit to do some staycationing!
BabyDontYurtMe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Pagid's don't come with 4 bolts a pack or the brass springs :wink: so i would but these if i still had my jumbo
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby imi2003 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 am

going by my past taxi experience. I stopped buying the cheap pads and disc's because they just don't last long enough. So for my MK6 Transit I stick to pagid from eurocarparts. they are a bit more expensive but once they are bedded in, they perform better than cheaper brands or non brands. I've never had brake noise from pagid stuff unlike the cheaper stuff, which use to sequel even once they where bedded in.
I just don't think you should cheap out on safety
The way i see it even the better brands only stop 1/2 metre better that could be the difference between going in to the back of someone and big repair bills or just driving away.
imi2003

Postby coacher » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

I fitted Pagid discs and pads from eurocarparts and they feel good. Been using them a couple of weeks and stops a lot better than the old ones.
coacher
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby blue estate » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:05 pm

If you shop around you can get ford pads just as cheap :wink:
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits