*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Removing the steering lock

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Removing the steering lock

Postby jayb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am

Hi

This morning my key was quite hard to turn in the ignition. When it fired up, the steering lock was still on. After I jerked the wheel, it released. The problem is intermittent. It's done it about 6 times today out of 20 starts.

Could I remove the pin for the steering lock altogether? I'm worried it will fail altogether or activate whilst I'm driving.

Cheers

Jason
jayb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Removing the steering lock

Postby mickeymouse85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Sounds like a worn key or ignition barrel would be easier to change it and less hasel in the future m8
mickeymouse85
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jayb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Cheers. I'll try my spare key tomorrow, rule that out. Failing that I'll swap the barrel.

Thanks

Jason
jayb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mickeymouse85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:39 pm

If u need a set I'm in the middle of breaking my 53 plate just pm me and you can have them really cheap as your a transit owner :D
mickeymouse85
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jayb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:08 am

Hi

I bought a new barrel, fitted it and the problem is still there. Any ideas?

Cheers

Jason
jayb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby caspersteve » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 pm

jayb wrote:Hi

Cheers

Jason

I've had exactly the same problem and was looking at replacing the steering column as the steering lock and ignition switch/barrel housing is pressed onto the column tube...... I cured the fault by removing the actual pin/lock that goes into the column shaft.... Its a bit of a faff to be fair and will mean you have no steering lock at all but if you remove the ignition key barrel and the switch at the opposite end, you will see a round slightly domed metal disc on the underside of the column lock housing....... Drill a small hole in the disc and prize it out BEWARE A SPRING WILL FALL OUT and it can go into your eyes...not a strong spring at all but trust me it hurts a bit...... Once you have removed the disc you can see the lock pin mine was broken up and half of it fell out..... NOW the bolt/pin that goes thru the ignition housing needs to be rotated clockwise whilst gently pulling on it toward the wiper switch direction and it will slide out THERE IS ANOTHER SPING ON THE BOLT once you have pulled out the bolt/pin the lock piece should come out....... Then its just a matter of reversing the operation to stick it back together but the first spring that fell out when the metal disc was removed can now be binned as it is only there to push the lock pin into the column........ Just remember you now have no steering column lock......
caspersteve
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby caspersteve » Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 pm

caspersteve wrote:
jayb wrote:Hi

Cheers

Jason

I've had exactly the same problem and was looking at replacing the steering column as the steering lock and ignition switch/barrel housing is pressed onto the column tube...... I cured the fault by removing the actual pin/lock that goes into the column shaft.... Its a bit of a faff to be fair and will mean you have no steering lock at all but if you remove the ignition key barrel and the switch at the opposite end, you will see a round slightly domed metal disc on the underside of the column lock housing....... Drill a small hole in the disc and prize it out BEWARE A SPRING WILL FALL OUT and it can go into your eyes...not a strong spring at all but trust me it hurts a bit...... Once you have removed the disc you can see the lock pin mine was broken up and half of it fell out..... NOW the bolt/pin that goes thru the ignition housing needs to be rotated clockwise whilst gently pulling on it toward the wiper switch direction and it will slide out THERE IS ANOTHER SPING ON THE BOLT once you have pulled out the bolt/pin the lock piece should come out....... Then its just a matter of reversing the operation to stick it back together but the first spring that fell out when the metal disc was removed can now be binned as it is only there to push the lock pin into the column........ Just remember you now have no steering column lock......
caspersteve
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits