*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Overheating and losing water

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Overheating and losing water

Postby transittaxilad » Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 am

55 2.0l.

Has been in garage on many times over last few weeks, now I only drive it as it's a taxi at the moment.

Had a thermo sat changed and a coolent pipe from the thermo sat, but it's still losing coolent and showing signs of overheating. Any ideas. The garage says they have pressure tested etc everything is fine.

I'm thinking it's a flauty thermo sat, as pipe after going to rad stays cold, two small pipes from rad and top of engine to expansion tank with the tank staying cold, but all others are red hot.

I'm no fix it but I'm sure something is still wrong
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Overheating and losing water

Postby ake » Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Is water pump working?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ems.h » Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Any signs of leakages? Wet patches, puddles, flaky red dust (from antifreeze) , drips ?
ems.h

Postby transittaxilad » Fri May 29, 2015 12:44 am

Getting heat inside, and does circulate, no drips now was before..

Don't know if this will help but I can put cab heater fan on full and it stay hot for about 5 minutes, but it will just blow cool air for rest of time.
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Fri May 29, 2015 7:13 am

I reckon your water pump, or the splines that drive it from the power steering pump are dying.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby transittaxilad » Sat May 30, 2015 2:47 am

This engine looks like it's a internal water pump on timing belt, one think now I still don't very much understand (it now not leaking) that coolent does circulate, but not via rad, or any of the two pipes that run to expansion tank, but all others get hot.

I will mention about pump, but to me I sure pump working as it should, as theirs no powersteering loss if it is that type. It's a 2l tdci or is tcdi, with last two letters being red, if that helps to what pump it is.
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 am

transittaxilad wrote:This engine looks like it's a internal water pump on timing belt, one think now I still don't very much understand (it now not leaking) that coolent does circulate, but not via rad, or any of the two pipes that run to expansion tank, but all others get hot.

I will mention about pump, but to me I sure pump working as it should, as theirs no powersteering loss if it is that type. It's a 2l tdci or is tcdi, with last two letters being red, if that helps to what pump it is.

The water pump is mounted on the front of the engine, connected to the power steering pump, the power steering pump is connected to the drive belt, which is external for all the world to see.
The water pump is connected to the other end of the power steering pump, and there failure is very very very common, the splines which drive it from the power steering pump corrode and first they slip, then they eventually fail. and I'll bet you a big bag of jelly babies that yours is dying.
A heater which goes cold while the engine is overheating is a sure sign of a lack of circulation.
You may wish to consider another garage if yours doesn't know that.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby transittaxilad » Sat May 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Well okay, like I said at start of post, I'm no fix it and have no knowledge of fixing bus, vans or cars, I only check levels and pressures and drive, that's it. I came on hear for advise not sarcasm.
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby trannydenz » Sat May 30, 2015 2:07 pm

transittaxilad wrote:Well okay, like I said at start of post, I'm no fix it and have no knowledge of fixing bus, vans or cars, I only check levels and pressures and drive, that's it. I came on hear for advise not sarcasm.

youve been given good advice you muppet
trannydenz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sat May 30, 2015 2:38 pm

transittaxilad wrote:Well okay, like I said at start of post, I'm no fix it and have no knowledge of fixing bus, vans or cars, I only check levels and pressures and drive, that's it. I came on hear for advise not sarcasm.
ive said water pump 3 times, the sarcasm got your attention didn't it :?:
ake
Site Moderator

Postby transittaxilad » Sat May 30, 2015 3:59 pm

I know for fact its not the water pump, that got changed 6 months ago and already Been pressure tested. So tell me, why isn't it going in to rad, or expansion tank. But it goes everywhere else in the coolent system
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby motovanner » Sat May 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Transittaxilad

You ask for help, your get excellent advice from someone who knows transits inside out and you have the cheek to call it sarcastic

Maybe you should improve your English 1st before using big words

And btw, please and thankyou go a long way here - if you know so many facts about your van then you ll know how to fix your van without bringing your problems and demands for answers here!.
Facebook/All tents Camping Group
motovanner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transittaxilad » Sun May 31, 2015 5:04 am

Thank you for pointing out my learning difficulties that I have, all that aside, all I do Is drive and check pressures and levels. I am not the owner. The information I've provided, is off the owner (not me), all information given to me has been pasted on. As the saying goes, don't shoot the messenger.
transittaxilad
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits