*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rust and MOT

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Rust and MOT

Postby ake » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Janso wrote:As it stands I'm waiting for VOSA to be in touch with a date for inspection. I'm pretty sure that the state of the rust wouldn't happen within a month especially with no advisory on the mot certificate. From what I've read officially, the owner can be attributed responsibility for selling an unroadworthy vehicle whilst the actual tester can lose their licence and tarnish the garage they're working for? I wasn't expecting it to be clean and happily expected about £200 worth of welding no problem, but the actual condition is a sham to have passed. Like others have said, another driver might have the same issue but unaware of it. Oh well, I'm working away from home until Saturday so can't do much in the flesh yet but will happily pursue this for the right reasons. I'll look into the legal aspects at the weekend; if the owner had been a little more honest then it would be a different story. Another issue that has arose is the mileage; 75000 ish on the certificate and 36000 on the clock which I'll look into. It was advertised with 110000 on mileage so that seems legit but all the same, it might unearth more!

I wouldn't be interested in the mileage on a vehicle of that age, chances are a dodgy speedo has been replaced at some point.
As you have already found out, the most important thing to look for on an old Transit, is rust.

Be aware that Vosa will render the vehicle unroadworthy after inspection and withdraw the MOT, making it illegal to use on the road.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby paul2012 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Why not post pics of the corrosion :?: :idea:

As not all corrosion effects MOT :idea:
Last edited by paul2012 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Janso » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks mate; yeah that's not a problem with me - I wouldn't want to have my kids in it if it's not above board. I couldn't do it anyway if it wasn't road legal, that's not in my make up.
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 pm

loot wrote:I apologize if this sounds harsh but you failed to observe the number 1 rule of transit, get underneath and poke around :-( you bought it sold as seen so unless you can appeal to the seller to give him it back then your stuck with it, so, either it needs welding up or selling on i think.

It's also probably a waste of time and effort trying to get the last mot inspector done because it won't get you a new mot.
Maybe take the van back there for a new mot 8) :lol:

By all means name and shame the tester if you feel that they are in any way dodgy but i would probably recommend that anyone going to them later would just be cautious rather than go in all guns blazing since we don't actually know if they did anything wrong, the van could have been sat in water all year.
:wink:

What about taking some pictures of the rusted area, the members on here can give their opinion too 8)

i agree here i had to do about £300 quids worth of welding on one of are mrk 6 vans laet year but just put it threw mot a few weeks ago and the tester stuck his screw driver every where :( it isnt cost effective to repair so it another one for the scrap bin but the annoying thing is it had a brand new pump timing chain water put tyres etc around 6 months ago so now we spend all that money on the engine and the body is not cost effective for use so its going to be sold for parts once i get round to sorting the advert out with pictures
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 pm

It used to be within so far of something structural you could just put gaffer tape over holes so they weren't sharp for the mot ?
It wouldnt be a real transit if it wasnt rusty would it 8)

Lots of love
Allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Janso » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:05 am

Got back from working away and have had the transit on the lift; photos to follow!
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Janso » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:11 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

As shown, it's either structural or inside the MOT tolerances.... Thoughts please? A rough estimate of about £800-£1000 of welding apparently. But then the fabricator I know doesn't do things by half!
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:29 am

1000£ :shock: tin of fiberfill tin of stone chip Bish bosh eBay :wink: :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:02 pm

is the van actually worth spending all that money :?:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby loot » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I still think you should wire brush it all back and see what's what personally, half the welders money will probably be scraping shite off but if you can get it to clean metal so he just has to plate it up then i think that'll help.

Also if there's a lot of holes in a section that looks like it can be replaced by drilling the spot welds then consider pricing up that replacement part and any work you can do will save money :-)

I replaced my sisters front section recently and it took 4 hours all in, half an hour to weld the 10 spot welds :roll: :lol:

If you aren't able to do any work and rely on ppl to do it all then unfortunately whether you fix it or buy another 1 you will have to spend money :-(
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Janso » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks Loot, appreciated. My issue at the minute is working away for awhile so not having the time. I think my way forward is to buy a runaround outside of my works truck and continue with the transit as a project. Like I've said, was planning to keep it for a fair few years and tidy her up. I know you never get back what you put in but hey, it's all about the journey isn't it?!!
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mr RVM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:12 pm

I've seen a lot worse than that (a LOT worse) yes some of that lot would be considered "excessive" and "within the prescribed area" (ie within 300mm of a suspension mounting)
I'm surprised you missed all of that when you had a quick look underneath (some of it has obviously been hidden but then again most of it wasn't)
The main rails don't look too bad, its mainly outriggers that are badly corroded, the area around the rear crossmember would be the hardest bit to repair but most of the other stuff would be fairly straight forward (I'm talking making it structurally sound not pretty)
Having now got VOSA involved they will of course slag it off as a complete death trap (but they wont prosecute the mot station, they'll at worst suspend the tester's licence till he "refreshes") VOSA of course will be doing their job and getting paid for it and the mot station will continue trading and getting paid and then there's you (you're not being paid and you wont receive any form of compensation for your troubles) as I said earlier "you have nothing to gain" :roll:
I don't know what you paid for this van but at this min you are down by at least that amount and possibly could be stuck with a van that will now have its remaining mot "withdrawn" and the seller will now be reluctant to refund you if you asked for your money back (he will act innocent and state he sold it "in good faith")
I think you would have better off taking earlier advice to get it patched up and kept it or to have sold it on (declaring that it would need work for its next mot)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Janso » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:32 pm

MR RVM; appreciate your input mate. I looked under and had a prod about and it didn't seem that bad. Once on the ramp and a scraper ran down a few areas, sealant seam filler and paint was falling off!
Was planning to keep it as a project but not planning on spending so much underneath as opposed to topside! You win some you lose some.
Sounds to me that VOSA won't be of any use at all then. Let's hope the tester doesn't pass a car that kids are ferried around in.
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karl » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:57 pm

but as Mr rvm has seen the one we got at the yard 12months ago over £300 worth of welding done by myself 12 months later holes everywhere spring hangers rear, seat belt anchor points even failed the inner sills :shock: outer passenger wheel arch corroded
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Janso » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Latest news:

MOT tester recognised that the corrosion should have been picked up as a fail or advisory at the least. He's happy to deal with all the corrosion to a (pass) standard, but has assured me he will down better considering the circumstances. Happy with that! That's a few hundred quid saved to be spent elsewhere on the van! 2 days work of prep and welding though
Glad I'm away again for the week with work!
Janso
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits