*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bell housing/gear box oil leak

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Bell housing/gear box oil leak

Postby v8dave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

The problem sealing these rear seal carriers to an assembled oily engine is that you can't clean the joint between the block and the alloy upper sump properly to get the sealant to stick.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oOplumberOo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:10 pm

v8dave wrote:The problem sealing these rear seal carriers to an assembled oily engine is that you can't clean the joint between the block and the alloy upper sump properly to get the sealant to stick.

its a case of how far do you go? , for me i just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and blue paper towel,the join on the outside cleaned up fine then leveled the join/groove off with sealant and assembled the plate seal, obviously further through the join would be where it would seep through, so really to do the crank seal job properly then the sump and that alloy peice should come off and all be cleaned and re sealed ....
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:45 pm

oOplumberOo wrote:
v8dave wrote:The problem sealing these rear seal carriers to an assembled oily engine is that you can't clean the joint between the block and the alloy upper sump properly to get the sealant to stick.

its a case of how far do you go? , for me i just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and blue paper towel,the join on the outside cleaned up fine then leveled the join/groove off with sealant and assembled the plate seal, obviously further through the join would be where it would seep through, so really to do the crank seal job properly then the sump and that alloy peice should come off and all be cleaned and re sealed ....

Then you will have to remove the timing cover to remove the mid sump
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby oOplumberOo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:05 pm

karl wrote:
oOplumberOo wrote:

Then you will have to remove the timing cover to remove the mid sump

FFS lol , atleast after that its done right? , glad i didnt give it anymore thought and called it a day at just cleaning the join groove out!!
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits