*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help/tips on removal of 03 Transit Turbo

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Help/tips on removal of 03 Transit Turbo

Postby Robbie Impreza » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Evening all, as per title I'm looking for some help please if you will.

To give you a bit of background information, my father owns a 2003 100 T260 FWD SWB Transit ,100ps i believe.

Whilst driving recently, the throttle stuck open, she smoked a fair bit and she came to a stop after about a minute and fires up fine. It was noticed that the intercooler core was dripping oil, so last weekend i set about removing and replacing it , and hoping (i know i know but try to be optimistic lol) this might cure our problem. As you've probably guessed, it didn't :-(

I fired her up and let her idle nice and quietly up to temp, gently gave her some throttle and low and behold the throttle wound open again , a great big cloud of smoke etc, i was prepared so stalled her at the first opportunity. She still fires and idles ok, so I'm hoping the engine isn't goosed.

My thoughts are the turbo is knackered, wastage sticking open causing the high revving and idle? Would i be right assuming this?

And is it much of a job to remove for an amateur mechanic , I'm quite hands and don't mind getting involved, will have a go at most things on my Subaru. Any common snags i should be aware of? unfortunately i don't have access to a pit/lift so ill have to disconnect the downpipes and anything else from underneath on axle stands.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
Robbie Impreza

Re: Help/tips on removal of 03 Transit Turbo

Postby knobby1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:43 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think your throttle is sticking open....they don't actually have a throttle plate as such and the pedal is electronic.....I suspect your turbo has shite itself, the seals are gone and the engine is running on it's own oil, hence the oil in the intercooler, happens occasionally but not too often. Best course of action is to stall the engine as you found out, even turning off with the key doesn't help in bad cases.

If you're reasonably handy with tools you'll be able to do it without too much drama.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Help/tips on removal of 03 Transit Turbo

Postby paul2012 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Blown turbo & engine is burning oil.

know as a runaway diesel & engine continues to run until it blows. (unless you stall it)

Just like this transit connect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6tgqBZAaI
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits