*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

transit mk7 2007 indicators dim

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

transit mk7 2007 indicators dim

Postby martinhay1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:36 am

hi my transit mk7 has very dim right indicator and makes a beeeeep sound
does anyone know which fuse is for this and which colour wire it is?

my transit has the BCM box rather than the relays. does anyone know what colour the main power supply is from the main fuse box under the bonnet to the BCM box?
I don't think its getting enough power to the right indicator.

also my left indicator has just stopped working and started clicking fast? I think I may have blown the fuse for the left one.

has anyone had this problem?
martinhay1

Re: transit mk7 2007 indicators dim

Postby Punto443 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:46 am

Genarlly most probs like this are caused by a poor earth or corroded plugs and bulb holders on the rear lights :D
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby martinhay1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:05 am

I have checked all these and still no luck
martinhay1

Postby ake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Do you have a trailer socket?

If so try disconnecting it as it's probably all corroded

It's very very very unlikely the bcm is faulty, and far more likely to be either an earth fault, bad connection at the top of the light, wiring fault, or dodgy trailer socket
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby martinhay1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Trailer socket has been disconnected earths have been cleaned and the wireing looks ok.

I have no idea what to do now.

I tried a wire strait from the battery to the indicator and it lit up perfectly.

This is very odd.

It flashes perfectly but its so dim.
Only half of the spring inside the bulbs lights up as if it needs more power to light the whole thing and i can hear a beep (ish) sound when i put my ear close to the indicator. It makes this sound each time it flashes.

I was told the indicator stick sends a signal to the bcm box which then sends the power to the indicators?

Does anyone know which colour this power wire is??
martinhay1

Postby loot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 pm

What are they like when the hazards are on?

The positive feed to the indicators is straight from the bcm.
LH is blue and green
RH is yellow and violet.

They are linked to your little side repeaters on the mirrors what are they like?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby martinhay1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:07 am

It does exactly the same when hazards are on.
Left side all works fine but all of the right side are still dim, thats the front rear and side repeater.
Thanks for the info on the wires im going to have a look today.

i can see abit of corrosion on the thick bunch of wires coming out of the bottom of the fuse box under the bonnet... im guessing at least a couple of these go to the bcm box. Do you know if it could be one of these wires that is faulty?

I dont have much understanding of how the bcm box works so its hard to try and figure it out.
martinhay1

Postby loot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Bcm is input output processor basically :-)

Forget about the engine fusebox, the drivers side loom goes from the headlight up to the bulkhead (fook off grommet) then up and over behind the dashboard and to the bcm then through the bulkhead on the other side and down to that headlight.

For your problem the indicator wires go from the bcm to the drivers front light, there is a chassis ground on the chassis leg somewhere near, that grounds the front and side light.
The loom has secondary looms that plug into it for the rear items, drivers side before it goes through the grommet in the bulkhead there is a big white connector and that goes up the drivers door pillar and along to the back of the van, the drivers rear indicator has another chassis ground for all of the lights, it is independent from the front indicator for ground but the main live for front and rear shares an input to bcm but separate outputs.

The input from the indicators has a left and right side and the hazard switch has a both side, this is controlling the output to the indicators.

It is unlikely that the grounds are at fault because they are separate at the front and rear, you should check them to be sure it isn't them.
Ideally you want to check that both lives are getting full power from the bcm.

So things I'd do.
1. Check the bulbs, scrape the blob of solder on the floor a little to make it shiny (yes i know but do it :lol: )
2. Find the ground points on the chassis (rear light ground links all the lights so imo it isn't that) you can undo the 8mm ground bolt and work it back and forth to scratch it and where it sits, this'll make a better contact when you do it up again.

3. Find bcm connector c4, now the front left indicator is pin 29 link this to pin 40 right front indicator then indicate left and the front left and right indicator will flash, see if it cures the right indicator being dim?
You can link pin 30 rear left indicator to pin 39 rear right indicator and see what that does.

If you decide to link the indicators direct at the bulbs or anything then meter the bulb contacts because i believe they are reverse polarity so don't put negative to the usual outer part of the bulb holder, be sure to check.

If you bridge the pins at the bcm connector it'll check the whole wire to the bulb, if they are bright then there's a fault with the bcm:-(
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby martinhay1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi thats brilliant info.

I have created a bigger problem. I pulled out plug c3 and put it back in. Now when i turn the ignition on the dash lights come on then go strait out. Makes a fast clicking noise from the bcm box and the lights flash like mad. and the engine wont turn over. Starter motor sounds like its clicking.

Do you know what ive done here?
Also do you know anyone that could fix this for me? Im in the sevenoaks area. Im useless with electrics.
martinhay1

Postby loot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Turn the ignition off and take the key out, unplug the main power connector on the bcm it is a 2 pin job with fat wires bottom left of bcm keep it out for a minute, make sure you plugged c3 back in correctly and fully, you pull the goal post over and it unclips then push it on and the goal post should go over a bit iirc them push the goal post all the way over till it locks and the clip is in full.

Then refit the power connector and try again.
It should only do what it I'd doing if the connector isn't fully in, it shouldn't do it from unplugging and replugging.

I've unplugged stuff like that with no problems tbh.

Worst case is a watching lamp comes on but should clear.

Give the above a try and let us know.

You can try disconnecting both batteries or the battery if you want but remember your radio code.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits