*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 ASM slowly loosing pressure (or something else ?)

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 ASM slowly loosing pressure (or something else ?)

Postby faltime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Guys and thanks for your help.

I got an ex australian post transit with a "lovely" ASM gearbox.
When I open the door, the pump bzzz normally and the van drives all right.

But: If I stop with engine idle for 5 minutes, or if I have a long drive on the highway and then go to stop, the van will stumble at start (the release of the clutch is not smooth at all). Then if I open the door, hpu will buzz, and everything is back to normal.

It feels like the system is loosing pressure.
I have no warning light on the dashboard.

Any Idea what it could be ?
Is there a mechanic pump as well or only the electric one ?

Thanks
faltime

Re: Mk6 ASM slowly loosing pressure (or something else ?)

Postby Altransit » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:34 am

Welcome to the forum 8)

You'll need to do a search on here using "ASM gearbox" or variants of these words, there are quite a few threads with ASM problems, but not all have been successfully resolved. The threads may give you some clues as to what needs checking. There are certainly relays and switches which can give intermittent problems, notably a grey relay situated somewhere near the engine bay fuse box. which can play up :!:

There is very little first hand knowledge of these boxes in the UK, and most of the knowledge has been posted here by Australian members ('Samwhich' was a member who posted quite a lot of info) 8) :idea:

:arrow: search.php?author_id=76022&sr=posts
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby samwhich » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 am

Hi all, sorry have been offline for a while and not staying up to date with this site.

Mine has been having similar issues lately very randomly and intermittently. Usually when taking off first thing in the morning (but not every morning) and a couple of times randomly while the engine is warm after a good drive with no issues. Most of the time, it is fine so I ignore the issue however it doesn't sound good when it is happening. It goes something like this:

1. Start Van
2. Foot on brake and select "D". (Engine continues to idle fine)
3. As soon as you barely even touch the accelerator, the clutch engages before the revs have a chance to get up and the van stalls.

When this occurs, I actually have to rev the engine in neutral with foot on brake pedal and then press "D" button so there are sufficient revs to take off and then it works. After that, the van will drive fine.

A friend of mine (young guy - ex Ford Mechanic) took it for a drive and believes the clutch seems fine (not slipping at all), HPU seems fine as it changes gear 99.9% of the time without issues so it could be that the TCM module might need to be "relearned". As I did drive around with a damaged gearbox for a while before getting a new 2nd hand one installed, this may have upset the TCM module giving this solution some credibility. Have not tried yet though so cant say.

Low cost things to try:

1. Have Ford do a TCM "relearn" for you
2. Have your ASM transmission "bled" (which is something you should do at least once a year apparently as this removes air bubbles from the trans fluid resulting in better/smoother shifting of gears

Please let me know if you have found a solution as I have not tried the above two things yet.

Cheers guys
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ossie cossie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

i have just got home i will try my ASM in the morning and write down my simptoms and see what i can find out.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 am

samwhich wrote:Hi all, sorry have been offline for a while and not staying up to date with this site.

Mine has been having similar issues lately very randomly and intermittently. Usually when taking off first thing in the morning (but not every morning) and a couple of times randomly while the engine is warm after a good drive with no issues. Most of the time, it is fine so I ignore the issue however it doesn't sound good when it is happening. It goes something like this:

1. Start Van
2. Foot on brake and select "D". (Engine continues to idle fine)
3. As soon as you barely even touch the accelerator, the clutch engages before the revs have a chance to get up and the van stalls.

When this occurs, I actually have to rev the engine in neutral with foot on brake pedal and then press "D" button so there are sufficient revs to take off and then it works. After that, the van will drive fine.

A friend of mine (young guy - ex Ford Mechanic) took it for a drive and believes the clutch seems fine (not slipping at all), HPU seems fine as it changes gear 99.9% of the time without issues so it could be that the TCM module might need to be "relearned". As I did drive around with a damaged gearbox for a while before getting a new 2nd hand one installed, this may have upset the TCM module giving this solution some credibility. Have not tried yet though so cant say.

Low cost things to try:

1. Have Ford do a TCM "relearn" for you
2. Have your ASM transmission "bled" (which is something you should do at least once a year apparently as this removes air bubbles from the trans fluid resulting in better/smoother shifting of gears

Please let me know if you have found a solution as I have not tried the above two things yet.

Cheers guys

Sounds like either the DMF has free play / movement which is confusing the system as to where 'biting point' is,
Or it needs the clutch learn routine to determine said biting point.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby samwhich » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks for your suggestions Frag!

What is the "DMF"? Have not heard of that one yet...

The fact that it is only intermittent and temperature irrelevant, would you still say a relearn could be the solution? And if so, do you know if the TCM "relearn" can be achieved through the master ECU reset process? (With ignition on "I" and headlights on full beam, disconnect the positive terminal from battery and earth it out for 10 seconds....etc etc) [Source for this process was from some other ford related forum/topic found during a quick google search but was confirmed accurate on "most ford models"]

Cheers :)
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 pm

samwhich wrote: What is the "DMF"? Have not heard of that one yet...

DMF = Dual Mass Flywheel :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby duddles » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Does that reset ecu did that work mines stuck in gear pita
Lucas laser owner, mk5 epic and mk6 2.5tdi bosch conversion
duddles
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits