*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

No turning lights on trailer, 300 -07

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

No turning lights on trailer, 300 -07

Postby andreasd083 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 am

When i connect a trailer a get no turning lights on the trailer. Have tried different trailers, so the fault is in the car.

There is a red relay above the rear ligths wich give strange sounds when connection a trailer and using the turning lights. This relay were very expensive to replace with a new Ford original and the repair shop was not sure it was this relay causing it.

Any thought? Im thinking of going to scrap yard to test with a used one, however the ones close to me didn't have one.
andreasd083
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: No turning lights on trailer, 300 -07

Postby walt1984 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Its hard to say with trailer wiring, someone could of fit it them self or it could of been farmed out from ford to a local towbar fitter. Id check simple things like the wiring in the socket to make sure nothing has snapped off or corroded up.
On ours the relay picks up a live feed from back of the drivers rear light cluster. Be worth checking if its there that it has power.
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:22 pm

The socket is always the first thing to check, they fill up with rubbish and corrode at the back
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andreasd083 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:46 pm

walt1984 wrote:Its hard to say with trailer wiring, someone could of fit it them self or it could of been farmed out from ford to a local towbar fitter. Id check simple things like the wiring in the socket to make sure nothing has snapped off or corroded up.
On ours the relay picks up a live feed from back of the drivers rear light cluster. Be worth checking if its there that it has power.

It is an original Ford towbar. I can't see anything wrong with wires. There is voltage on the sockets turning pins, however light do not lit when connecting the trailer. I can't measure the voltage with my multimeter but it does go up on every blink.

ake wrote:The socket is always the first thing to check, they fill up with rubbish and corrode at the back

No corrosion in the socket.
andreasd083
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dnorkett » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Does the trailer with the lights not working have led lights fitted?
dnorkett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby walt1984 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Didnt know you could have a ford fitted towpack. Our old one came to local dealers from Southampton then was sent to a local firm for fitting then handed over to us.
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:53 am

andreasd083 wrote:
walt1984 wrote:Its hard to say with trailer wiring, someone could of fit it them self or it could of been farmed out from ford to a local towbar fitter. Id check simple things like the wiring in the socket to make sure nothing has snapped off or corroded up.

It is an original Ford towbar. I can't see anything wrong with wires. There is voltage on the sockets turning pins, however light do not lit when connecting the trailer. I can't measure the voltage with my multimeter but it does go up on every blink.

ake wrote:The socket is always the first thing to check, they fill up with rubbish and corrode at the back

No corrosion in the socket.

At the connections on the back?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andreasd083 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Old bump, but I haven't found any solution to this. There is no corrosion anywhere I have looked. Relays, or socket. I also tried a new red relay but problem persists.

A specialized Ford transit mechanic said there are a round box/relay somewhere far back in the van model that can brake, but he wasn't sure on the flatbed. I haven't found any when searching. It's not so many places to hide it
andreasd083
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Brains_transit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I would check the earth is good at the trailer socket between that and the chassis earth
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andreasd083 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 am

Brains_transit wrote:I would check the earth is good at the trailer socket between that and the chassis earth

Thanks, I can check it. But all other lights on a trailer works as normal.

The red relay only sounds bad when connecting a trailer. If no trailer and I disconnect the red relay the back turning lights doesn't work, so it controls them aswell
andreasd083
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits