*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit 2.4 tddi wont crank or start.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk6 transit 2.4 tddi wont crank or start.

Postby Altransit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm

e5c0rt.mk1 wrote:Been on the phone to auto electrician and he has said its the immobiliser.
He said the immobiliser light should stop flashing once the key is turned to position 2.

Tried my old tranny and the immobiliser light stops flashing when i turn the key to position2.

Anyone have any more ideas before i get someone to come and program a key.

* i have also tried the key reader from the other transit and it makes no difference.
* checked all relays and they are working

He's right, but if the immobiliser is kicking in when you're trying to start it, it should flash very quickly and then flash an error code after about a minute.
The fact that it's flashing slowly, as if at rest, means that something isn't powering up :!:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Well its fixed... sort of.

Left the keys in the ignition all night in position number 2 by mistake.

Went out this morning the battery was flat on the van, so charged the battery, then it started :)

Dont have a clue what is up with it but for now its fixed.
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

And it wont start again :(

Went out this morning to take the van for its m.o.t and it wont start again.
Same problem as last time the immobiliser light just flashes for about half a second then off for about 2 or 3 seconds and just keeps doing that.

Anyone got any more ideas why the immobiliser wont power up?

Its just one thing after another with this van :(

Can the immobiliser be bypassed ??

Thanks
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Altransit wrote:Unless the immobiliser LED is flashing, it won't be to blame. You may find that in the event of not enough battery voltage/current available, the ECU won't allow the starter to crank :!:

Well, my money is still on a stuffed battery :!:
I now have 3 in my garage that all read over 12v when charged, but won't start the vehicle that they were fitted to :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm

The van eventually started, and did over 600 miles with out any problems, it was stopped and started about 20 times through the day. After doing the 640 mile round trip and making it home the next day it wouldn't start again. Since then i have only managed to start it once or twice.
It has now had a new battery fitted and a known working ignition switch.

A lad who works for ford came with his diagnostic tool. When the van wouldn't start, the scanner wouldn't power up, and when the van started no faults came up on the scanner.

Phone ford and spoke to a technican and they said it could be the pump knacking up ???

Any one have any idea what the problem could be ?

Thanks Owen
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cowasaki » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:34 am

The first time you got it to start by accidentally leaving the key in the ignition at pos 2 overnight, have you tried this again to rule out coincidence? If it starts a second time then it might help point people in the right direction.

How do you know the ignition and key reader are "known good"?
Have you checked the wiring in relation to the immobiliser and starter circuit (for shorts & broken connections)?
It's been very wet most of the time you've had this fault, was it dry in the period that it started and ran for 600 miles?
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:55 pm

All the parts i am using are coming of my old transit that i am using for spares. It runs mint but is rotten all over.

When it did the 600miles the weather was bad, raining and it started snowing on the way home.

Ive looked at all the connections on the back of the ignition and all look fine.

I've tried leaving it overnight and still wont start.

Im starting to think there is a broken wire somewhere but the problem is finding it :(
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cowasaki » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:20 pm

e5c0rt.mk1 wrote:All the parts i am using are coming of my old transit that i am using for spares. It runs mint but is rotten all over.

When it did the 600miles the weather was bad, raining and it started snowing on the way home.

Ive looked at all the connections on the back of the ignition and all look fine.

I've tried leaving it overnight and still wont start.

Im starting to think there is a broken wire somewhere but the problem is finding it :(

The old one....

customer - "£300 for fixing a broken wire?"
auto electrician - "No £5 for fixing the wire and £295 for finding which one was broken and where"
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Forgot to mention since it wouldnt start the last time bothe front doors wont open from the outside but they will from the inside. Could this be linked with immobiliser?
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Well i have half found the problem, the Key reader (the bit that goes around the barrel) isnt getting any power at all.

If i put 12v to the orange and black wire on the key reader everything works as it should, the immobilser goes off and the van will start, but as soon as you kill the 12v supply to the orange and black wire the immobiliser comes back on and stops the van.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the key reader on a mk6 2.4 rwd transit so i can find out what is powering the key reader, or does anyone know what powers it?

Thanks Again Owen
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Its finally FIXED :)

After working out the key reader wasnt getting any power. It turned out that fuse 15, fuse 16, fuel pump relay and glow plug relay were also not getting power.

They all get there power from the PCM relay (Relay 7) and Fuse 21, after checking the wire from the PCM relay to the ecu it had a little cut in it causing it to sometimes work then sometimes not.

In case anyone else has this problem here is a link to the other thread that has the wiring diagrams, and some more info about the problem.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Cheers Owen
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cowasaki » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:22 am

e5c0rt.mk1 wrote:Its finally FIXED :)

After working out the key reader wasnt getting any power. It turned out that fuse 15, fuse 16, fuel pump relay and glow plug relay were also not getting power.

They all get there power from the PCM relay (Relay 7) and Fuse 21, after checking the wire from the PCM relay to the ecu it had a little cut in it causing it to sometimes work then sometimes not.

In case anyone else has this problem here is a link to the other thread that has the wiring diagrams, and some more info about the problem.

Cheers Owen

Brilliant. It feels good to locate the fault at last!

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:27 am

Yep, thought i was never going to find what was wrong :)
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby e5c0rt.mk1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 am

e5c0rt.mk1 wrote:Its finally FIXED :)

Cheers Owen

Forgot to put the link viewtopic.php?t=167418
e5c0rt.mk1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits