*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Keys locked in van.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Keys locked in van.

Postby PLEDGEY » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:24 am

Went to fill up with fuel ready for Monday. Just caught the garage as they were about to close. The garage is on the Quantocks not far from where I live but still out in the sticks. I filled up a diesel can in the side door first then as I undid the fuel cap, it's a little temperamental, I heard the 'clunk clunk' sound of the locks locking. Didn't think anything of it as I had the keys. I went to put the fuel cap on the top of the fuel pump but the wind was blowing a gale and I just saved it from hitting the floor. I turned round and placed the fuel cap just inside the sliding door. I did this while I still had the pump in my hand. Finished filling and as I put the pump back the wind blew and the door slid it self shut. Straight away I thought 'sh*t, the keys are in the cap and the caps in the van'. All the locks were locked and I thought what am I gonna' do?. I told Mike the garage owner what I had done. He goes and gets a load of old Ford keys to try with no luck. Then he comes back with some nylon wedges, a cloth, a crowbar and various lengths of thick wire. Puts the cloth on the top of the frame next to the drivers door and then using the crow bar forced a gap at the top of the door. Put a wedge in the gap and that allowed another wedge to be tapped in just above the quarter glass. Then he manipulated a piece of wire in through the gap until he hooked the latch and 'BINGO!' it was open. The back doors were still locked but I always take out the bulk heads, I like to recline to have a snooze, so I was able to climb in and get the keys. The whole thing took about 20 mins and there was me thinking it was gonna' be an RAC job. So if you lock your keys in the van give it a try. You will need some one to stand looking through the passenger window with a torch saying 'left a bit, right a bit,.....bit more......bit more, etc'
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Keys locked in van.

Postby mickeymouse85 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:06 am

Pleased you got back in you van matey :D
mickeymouse85
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Cool.....you've just told a million people how to break into our vans :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 pm

knobby1 wrote:Cool.....you've just told a million people how to break into our vans :wink:

Lord Knobrot

Better start deadlocking them now :idea: :roll:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby PLEDGEY » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:47 pm

I doubt yer average tea leaf is gonna' spend twenty minutes fishing around to hook the door catch, while his mate with a torch shouts instructions "left a bit...bit...bit more", when they can just smash a window or tibb it. I have actually ordered a tibb so it doesn't happen again.
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dodgy01 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 pm

WOW
you really don't get it do you

I've got a idea why not mention the key that also will unlock all our vans

oh wait you have done that also

Well done :roll:
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby loot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:28 am

If the op requests the thread removed I'll do do, if another mod removes it that's fine. Personally I'm not aware of thieves using old fashioned methods like this to steal vans, the vans get stolen digitally in minutes as far as I'm aware.

But since we are here then it is wise to disable or replace the drivers door barrel for added security.
Disable the diagnostic port of your van.
Tradesmen add extra security for anything you leave in the back such as bulkhead, extra hardware for cargo door locking etc.
Generally don't leave belongings visible in the front of the van.

Emergency services have used the wedge method for many years so it's very much information on the public domain.
Tibbe keys are well known for being easy to bypass also.

My suggestion also is to buy an extra alarm with loud siren to give an audible warning that someone is getting into your van, make sure it won't deactivate by unlocking the van but rather by remote or some kind of coding.

I doubt personally that opportunist and stupid thieves will be able to read this anyway :lol:

But yes let's try not posting how to's on breaking into vans on here. :wink:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby PLEDGEY » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 pm

I just thought it might help someone else who had locked their keys in their van. Personally I think if a thief had the time to do the above without anyone noticing them, and a mate with a torch, for 20mins,they wouldn't bother.They would just brick the bloody widow and be done, but if it's bothering people take it down.
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Alynjones9 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:43 pm

If you remove the trim from the side of the windscreen you can easily pry out the quarter panel window then open the door and put everything back once your in.

I have had to do it a couple of times as I have a habit of leaving keys in the van.
If I'm here I need help!!!
Alynjones9
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:01 am

when I locked the keys in the back of my van it took 2 minutes to get in it
obviously I can't post on here that I used a 9 inch angle grinder and cut a hole in the roof for fear of giving thieves ideas
but if anyone wants to know just pm mike

allcock over
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cowasaki » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 am

If I lock my keys in the van how am I going to get it all the way to a garage on the Quantocks not far from where you live so Mike can open it for me? Sounds like a helpful chap though. ;)
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:39 am

A passing burglar lent me his angle grinderquote="bigjohnthomas"]my new door 8)

Image[/quote]
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 am

Quantlocks?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby PLEDGEY » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:36 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Quantlocks?

The Quantock Hills! . It's an area of outstanding natural beauty don't you know (makes smug face) :lol:
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 pm

PLEDGEY wrote:
bigjohnthomas wrote:Quantlocks?

The Quantock Hills! . It's an area of outstanding natural beauty don't you know (makes smug face) :lol:

He lives in Lincolnshire, so consequently knows nothing about areas of outstanding beauty :wink: :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits