*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit roof seam rust in middle.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 transit roof seam rust in middle.

Postby Jason the Courier » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I've got a 2006 jumbo hi top.

I've searched for threads on seam rust in the roof but keep coming up with the rear seam by back doors. Mine doesn't leak there and looks pretty good.

Where I've got rust coming through is half along the roof from front to rear there are two seams between front and rear section of roof and a central panel that looks like a sunroof shape pressed in but it cut out. Does that make sense.
The seam from on top the roof running down the side of the hi too part to the standard height section of roof has rust in it and water is seeping through, then running along the side panel towards front of the van.

Is this common on the hi top?
What's the best way to go about treating this?

Thanks.
Jason the Courier
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk6 transit roof seam rust in middle.

Postby Wadey » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 pm

I think rust is common on a transit they all kinda rot underneith and where they want on top
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jason the Courier » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 am

Yes very common but in all my searches I've not come across this. Maybe it only affects the jumbo.
Jason the Courier
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Jason the Courier wrote: Maybe it only affects the jumbo.

Nope, it's a common Mk6 problem, all of my Mk6 seams leak, destroy the load space lights, and make the seat belts wet :roll:
I stopped it for a while by putting Sikkaflex over the joints, but I didn't make much of a job of it, as it was done in a hurry, and in bad weather, so consequently, they're leaking again.

On the Mk7, they've used extra seam sealer, and made the joint proud of the roof line, so that the water rolls away from the joint instead of running along it :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits