*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

dash cams

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

dash cams

Postby mickeymouse85 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 am

How many on here have dash cams fitted to there vans and how easy are they to wire up
mickeymouse85
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: dash cams

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:53 am

mickeymouse85 wrote:How many on here have dash cams fitted to there vans and how easy are they to wire up

I have one in my Mk7...plugs in via USB cable and into cig lighter socket in top drivers side dash compartment.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cowasaki » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:06 am

I have a dual camera one in the Landrover and am fitting the simpler single camera one to the Transit either today or tomorrow. You can treat them like a satnav or similar and just stick them in on a temporary basis with the power from the cigarette lighter socket but the ones I've got have a stick on bracket which permanently sticks to the windscreen then I've bought some mini USB to 12v cables which you wire up via a fuse to the ignition live circuit with the cable all hidden behind the plastics and just the last few cm coming out near where the rear view mirror goes. This is a very neat solution as it powers up from the ignition and starts/stops with the key, it leaves the cigarette lighter for other things and it doesn't leave a dangling wire which gets in the way. The adapter/leads are about £3 on ebay from China or about £7-8 from the UK - search "mini USB 12" on ebay.
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marauder » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 am

My 2008 SWB ..The cigar socket in side the drivers side lift up plastic thingy stays live all the time so I have to manually plug cam in and out all the bloody time.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wronghole » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Marauder wrote:My 2008 SWB ..The cigar socket in side the drivers side lift up plastic thingy stays live all the time so I have to manually plug cam in and out all the bloody time.

Got mine on a switchable lead . Switch is a rocker type that sits on top of the plug , easy to use.
wronghole
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Ever noticed that 99.99% of the time when the cam is on nothing interesting happens?

If you forget to turn it on or take the card out and forget to put it back in
it's like you're invisible to other road users.
Every man and his bloody dog pulls out in front of you, cuts you up and
forgets to give way to the right on roundabouts :x
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wronghole » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

gotgcoalman wrote:Ever noticed that 99.99% of the time when the cam is on nothing interesting happens?

If you forget to turn it on or take the card out and forget to put it back in
it's like you're invisible to other road users.
Every man and his bloody dog pulls out in front of you, cuts you up and
forgets to give way to the right on roundabouts :x

Think it's called sod's law :lol:
wronghole
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits