*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bag of nails

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Bag of nails

Postby RustBucket » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 am

Evening all. Having a right headache with my Transit :cry:

The van wont even idle now when cold, hunting is so vicious it rattles its self to pieces before finally cutting out. Cut out at traffic lights a few times on the way to work this morning. It also sounds like a complete bag of hammers when putting any sort of load onto the engine until its up to temperature. Its going to break soon I can feel it and I could really do with out that!

Noticed the hunting came on when the cold set in for winter.

So gave it a full service with genuine parts. Removed injectors and cleaned up seals as they were all crudded and checked copper washers which seemed in pretty good condition. Van seemed a little better but hunting was still coming on now and again. Even once when engine was up to temp.

So ordered a VCM 2 clone and bought a cheapy laptop, managed to do the learns on the weekend as advised before shelling out on the PRV/SCV route. All was going great until I went to do the PCM update and realised I hadnt installed it correctly as it was still in demo mode :oops:

Tried all weekend to get it working to no avail. But now after doing the learns the hunting is even worse than ever?

So Is it possible the van will be even worse now because the valves are broken when the learns were done? I was under the impression I wouldnt be able to do the learns if the valves were duff in the first place.

So what would be next route to take? Replacing PRV/SCV valves and re doing the learns? Would it be ok still to do in demo mode again if I cant get the IDS working?

How the bloody hell do people IDS working as well. Installed everything from scratch now 4 times over and every time its still showing as demo mode :? Baffles me.

How much would it cost to get the PCM update done somewhere else like ford? Would my van really benefit from it or should the prv/scv and learns sort the problem out?

Also the starter catches now and again, just once. Still turns over tho. So needs a new starter and could possibly be the DMF and clutch breaking down too? :(

Sorry for the essay but its been ongoing for months and Im at an lost end :(

Sometime I wish I had bought a mk6
Mk7 lwb hitop. 2.4
RustBucket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Bag of nails

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 am

I may be talking a load of rubbish here so please bare with me.

It's possible you may have blown the PRV, (pressure relief valve) in the end of the common rail. Have you removed the pipe from the end of the PRV and run the engine, is there a silly amount of fuel coming out of the PRV?? Have you removed it to see if it's still in one piece?? If it's blown, a faulty SCV, (Suction Control Valve), may be the cause, they're sometimes called an "Inlet metering valve". If the SCV is faulty or sticking in it's bore due to wear or dirty/contaminated fuel, it can cause the system to deliver too much pressure to the rail and blow the PRV...a reasonably common issue for Mk7's.

Once it blows, the rail pressure is then possibly too low and can cause starting/running problems. It can also cause injection issues, the injectors will still open because they're electronically controlled, but if the pressure is too low the correct amount of "pilot" and "normal" fuel will not be delivered....hence the "bag of hammers" you're hearing.

Doing the learns often help if the SCV & PRV valves and the pump itself are starting to wear, this will "re-calibrate" them to suit. A PCM update will just introduce a new set of manufacturers parameters, a good idea to do this if it hasn't been done recently. Best to do the PCM update first, then do the pump & pilot learns. However, the whole system should be in good working order before doing any updates or learns, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.

I don't "think" the PCM update will work in "Demo" mode...Loot may be able to give more info on this.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RustBucket » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Cheers Knobby.

Tbh the problems been ongoing for a while, I had a feeling the re calibrations wouldnt fix the problem on their own. Never mind. At least I've now got the tools there to do the learns my self with out pissing about hassling anyone :lol:

I was advised to attempt the learns before spending any money from another forum member. So was worth a try. Altho cant get IDS out of demo mode. Would it still be OK to do the learns in demo mode? Altho I could really do with it cracked so I could do the PCM update as well. Stupid bloody technology :cry:

Its definitely deteriorated some what since doing the learns on Sunday tho. It used to cut out very occasionally, now I cant even get it to idle in the mornings. Its fine once warmed up a bit, but leaving it to warm up for ten minutes is some what troublesome when it keeps spluttering and cutting out. So your theory on one of the valves breaking down fits.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace both valves on Saturday I think. I've never took either of them off or inspected them any further than looking at them. They look as old as the van it self tho (140k)

Is it worth while taking the fuel pipe off the end to check, or removing it even or should I just bite the bullet and replace both?

Does anyone have any part numbers for the PRV and SCV valves or will the man at Ford know what Im talking about?

Thanks a million, RustBucket
Mk7 lwb hitop. 2.4
RustBucket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 am

I'd be tempted to just replace them, 140k miles is starting to get up there. Then do a PCM update and then the pump & pilot learns...

I'm not sure if the learns or PCM update will "take" when in Demo mode...I've never seen that on my IDS system so I can't advise either way :?

Once I had my IDS system up and working properly, (thanks to Loot)...I've basically left it alone...if it ain't broke 'n all..!

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits