*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ECU > diesel pump > injectors > engine 90hp/125hp

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

ECU > diesel pump > injectors > engine 90hp/125hp

Postby 11sparky40 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Where to start?

So bought a MWB, RWD, 2.4 tddi mk6 transit with engine problem. Unbeknownst to me it was the 90hp version, I wasn't even aware at the time that different powered versions of the same engines existed. Ignorant I know. Anyhow.....

It came apparent another engine was required so my mechanic advised me if I was able to source one he would put it in (at this point I'd add that this guy is a superb mechanic but works primarily on coaches and is not necessarily up to speed on engine models of every van out there, I regard him as more than competent).

So off I go and within 24hrs I back with a 2.4 tddi, only problem is it's the 125hp.

So the engine goes in and his guy turns up to reprogram the pump to the ecu and the came the bad news, not the right engine. So now faced with the choice of get another engine or attempt to make it happen, we or more accurately I decide to give it a go. So off comes the vp44 and on goes the vp30 and whoosh, engine starts, idles and reeves up like a dream.

Now for the issue.......

So when driving through the gears, 5 speed gearbox, when we get to roughly 2500rpm we experience flat spots in the delivery of power and it may take until past 3500rpm until we resume normal power, then we change up to 2nd and maybe 3rd and the whole ordeal is repeated. Not nice!!!!! As a result I have to scream it though every gear and basically rag the arse out of it in order to get up to decent speeds. It not a problem around town cos when driving miss daisy serious power is not required however with any amount of weight on and on the A1 or any motorway if I have to slow down for any reason, usually a slower driver pulling across the lanes then it takes an age to regather any momentum.

We have tried the 90 hp injectors and we had some improvement by blanking the erg valve which we thought fixed the issue, but since then we put back the 125hp injectors and the issue came back.

So now I'm of the opinion that the whole set up needs to be 125hp and vp44 but the ecu needs to be remapped to suit.

How can I get this done? Is this even possible?

Thanks for your time.
11sparky40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: ECU > diesel pump > injectors > engine 90hp/125hp

Postby karl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:28 pm

its a 90 ps the arnt rockets

if you going down the vp44 route you going to need engine wiring loom, ecu, and if you dont have digital speed then you might have to change the lot the dash wiring as well

if you have none abs then you going to have to do all that as well
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby martynx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:36 pm

11sparky40 wrote:Where to start?

So bought a MWB, RWD, 2.4 tddi mk6 transit with engine problem. Unbeknownst to me it was the 90hp version, I wasn't even aware at the time that different powered versions of the same engines existed. Ignorant I know. Anyhow.....

It came apparent another engine was required so my mechanic advised me if I was able to source one he would put it in (at this point I'd add that this guy is a superb mechanic but works primarily on coaches and is not necessarily up to speed on engine models of every van out there, I regard him as more than competent).

So off I go and within 24hrs I back with a 2.4 tddi, only problem is it's the 125hp.

So the engine goes in and his guy turns up to reprogram the pump to the ecu and the came the bad news, not the right engine. So now faced with the choice of get another engine or attempt to make it happen, we or more accurately I decide to give it a go. So off comes the vp44 and on goes the vp30 and whoosh, engine starts, idles and reeves up like a dream.

Now for the issue.......

So when driving through the gears, 5 speed gearbox, when we get to roughly 2500rpm we experience flat spots in the delivery of power and it may take until past 3500rpm until we resume normal power, then we change up to 2nd and maybe 3rd and the whole ordeal is repeated. Not nice!!!!! As a result I have to scream it though every gear and basically rag the arse out of it in order to get up to decent speeds. It not a problem around town cos when driving miss daisy serious power is not required however with any amount of weight on and on the A1 or any motorway if I have to slow down for any reason, usually a slower driver pulling across the lanes then it takes an age to regather any momentum.

We have tried the 90 hp injectors and we had some improvement by blanking the erg valve which we thought fixed the issue, but since then we put back the 125hp injectors and the issue came back.

So now I'm of the opinion that the whole set up needs to be 125hp and vp44 but the ecu needs to be remapped to suit.

How can I get this done? Is this even possible?

Thanks for your time.

What year is your van ?

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 11sparky40 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:03 pm

What year is your van ?[/quote]

It's 2005
11sparky40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

11sparky40 wrote:What year is your van ?

It's 2005[/quote]

post you reg up ?

2005 will already have the digital dash :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby martynx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm

11sparky40 wrote:
martynx wrote: What year is your van ?

It's 2005

In this case then its not too much trouble to convert fully to the 125 / VP44 spec. I have overseen a few conversions from a 90 & not had to change engine wiring looms.

Best to confirm first though that the injectors & turbo are indeed 125/120/115 units otherwise you wont get the right results..

Source any Visteon DPC806 ECU & either get it progged with late 115 software or send to me & i can do that then its just case of installing it. Some aftermarket tools can do this via its pump programming functions , after performing key programming as in clear all keys then add whatever ones you have... if you get rolling with it we can help with the required steps..

& keep in mind 125/120/115 pumps/injectors/turbos are the same spec & that this conversion works good with late software which is always 115 rather than 125 or 120. The torque produced is very in all 3 is very similar so your not losing out :D

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 11sparky40 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Great this is really good feedback, I'm grateful for all the advise and will certainly act upon it. What a relief! I've had a full respray on the van, new tyre so all round, brakes pads, discs, bearings and shocks. It really is a nice specimen and I doubt there is a nicer presented 2005 in the country. It's solid underneath, almost like new so it really is well worth getting this conversion done. I'm happy to leave the van in capable hands late August when I go away to make sure it's all working correctly and will pay obviously at the going rates.

Thanks so much.
11sparky40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Before going banannas changing everthing check the turbo actuator isn't sticking at the exhaust manifold :wink: :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 11sparky40 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that, somebody said something about the turbo but I couldn't remember what he said. I think that's exactly what was mentioned. I will mention that first before I go into very thing else. Even so I do still fancy an upgrade in power so I think all the advise will come in handy.

Thanks so much
11sparky40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Doesn't the mk6 125ps also have the electronic fuel filter lift pump :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:39 pm

loot wrote:Doesn't the mk6 125ps also have the electronic fuel filter lift pump :-)
Only the early ones :wink: Never seen one on digi dash model .
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 11sparky40 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:28 am

Ok guys I'm gonna share with you what happened and how it got resolved. The van now drives like new, absolutely beautiful.

As it is in regular use it was always about picking the right moment to take it off the road and because at the it still got me about albeit at a fashion, we never did get the chance to try out anything suggested on the thread. However, the van began to develope a slight whistle but one of the side effects was that it cured the flat spots, the jumping at 3000-4000 rpm. The whistling soon became obvious and upon inspection we found a small hole in the egr>inter cooler hose. My mechanic said that logic told him that the original problem was likely in this instance with the waste gate on the turbo, I asked if this was the actuator he said same thing. I don't know if anyone can confirm this. Anyhow as we still have the original damaged engine we swapped the turbo and renewed the inter cooler hose. So now I have the 125ps engine but the diesel pump, turbo and injectors are off the original 90ps engine. I couldn't say whether it drives like one or the other as I have no other experience to compare to but I will say it has heaps of torque as is very smooth indeed through all the gears. It's no slouch but not fast. It just drives how I would describe as normally.

Just like to add a thank you to everyone for your input on this, I thought it only courteous to leave this message.

Thanks
11sparky40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:27 am

The turbos are the same :wink: Glad you sorted it and thanks for giving the final verdict 8)
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby martynx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:The turbos are the same :wink: Glad you sorted it and thanks for giving the final verdict 8)

Which turbo's are the same ?

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:20 pm

The sticker on turbo denotes the bhp it came off,not the same.
Frag
Ford Technician

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits