*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water in N/S footwell

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Water in N/S footwell

Postby sutts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi has any one had a problem with water leaking into the foot well when it rains, I have checked all the the door seals and they seem to be fine the transit is a 2010 mk7 I have also notice that there is a continuous drip from the the sill drain hole so I would assume that there is quite a lot of water sitting somewhere?
sutts

Re: Water in N/S footwell

Postby v8dave » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Are all the sill drain holes clear ?

Might be a missing seal on a windscreen pillar trim clip is letting in the water.

Also check your gutters, the sealant in the bottom of them can crack - especially if a roof rack has been on the van.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sutts » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you for your reply footwell full again after heavy rain, do you have any idea how to remove the piller trim that you mentiond and if removed would i be able to see if it is the screen leaking? the van has only covered 25k and dont look as if it has been accident dammaged if any one else has any sugestions please post.
sutts

Postby stevo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:06 am

A lot get water in the footwell but im yet to see anyone come up with a solid answer. Ive got the same problem on my van now, needs sorting before it starts to cause it to rot.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dutch guy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:04 am

Mine (november 2006 L1 H2) has water in the footwell as well. And it is rotting like hell underneath!!! Yesterday I took a closer look while it was raining and found out that the water actually starts coming in at the top of the door sealing rubber. From there it leaks down between the rubber and where it clamps on the A-style. You can only see it leak if you pull off part of the rubber. The footwell is designed wrong too, because any water coming in there has no place to go. So rust is inevitable!
I'm still working on a solution. Any suggestions are very welcome!
Dutch guy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby motorman116 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 am

stevo wrote:A lot get water in the footwell but im yet to see anyone come up with a solid answer. Ive got the same problem on my van now, needs sorting before it starts to cause it to rot.

I had it on my van, but have sorted it out now,

Common places are

Gutter splits, as mentioned
Roof seams
Door seals
Weather strip (High top)
Screen
There is a rubber gromit on top of the wheel arch / strut turret under the mat, and these also can leak water in (When driven)
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stevo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Ill have to look for that grommet under the arch, cant see anywhere else mine is leaking.

Formely ibanez2005

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Betsy11 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I have a 2011 low roof transit and had the same problem. I took the passenger seats out and took the rubber mat out and it was soaked. The rubber mat that sits over the front N/S wheel arch was stained so it appeared that the source of the water was around that area. I used silicone and sealed all the joints, including the grommet on top of the wheel arch. Haven't had any water since luckily.
Betsy11

Postby ake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:40 am

Betsy11 wrote:I have a 2011 low roof transit and had the same problem. I took the passenger seats out and took the rubber mat out and it was soaked. The rubber mat that sits over the front N/S wheel arch was stained so it appeared that the source of the water was around that area. I used silicone and sealed all the joints, including the grommet on top of the wheel arch. Haven't had any water since luckily.

The salts in silicone cause rust on vehicles. You've fixed one problem by creating another
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby stevo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 am

ake wrote:
Betsy11 wrote:I have a 2011 low roof transit and had the same problem. I took the passenger seats out and took the rubber mat out and it was soaked. The rubber mat that sits over the front N/S wheel arch was stained so it appeared that the source of the water was around that area. I used silicone and sealed all the joints, including the grommet on top of the wheel arch. Haven't had any water since luckily.

The salts in silicone cause rust on vehicles. You've fixed one problem by creating another

It seems few people know about the effect of silicon on metal. When people say "just use silicon" and you tell them the effects they never believe you.

Formely ibanez2005

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Old Man Down » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Looks like a case of which is worst on metal water or silicone :)
Old Man Down

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:51 pm

My 2006 drips in from the top when raining I put it down to the seal being old i don't get any standing water as not much comes in. Does this both sides.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits