*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel filter retrofit?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Fuel filter retrofit?

Postby rsjon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Maybe this has been covered before but I can't find anything....
My Mk6 FWD TDDi 85 PS takes a Fram PS10153 fuel filter.
When I compared this with a Mk7 2.4 TDCi or 2.2 TDCi Euro 4 fuel filter (FINIS 1370779 Fram PS10223) they seemed very similar.
The mounting keys on the top are the same so I think a later filter will fit the earlier van.
Why would you do this? Well the later filter is taller so if it mounts up ok, you would have more filtering area...which can only be a good thing.
Has anybody tried this?
What obvious snag am I missing? :roll:
Thanks,
Jon.
rsjon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fuel filter retrofit?

Postby rsjon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 am

I have read further and found that the TDDi filter is 5 microns, whereas the TDCi is 2 microns.
Therefore a TDDi filter should never be fitted to a TDCi but can you fit a TDCi to a TDDi?
Will the finer filter cause fuel starvation or does the larger filter area compensate for that?
Anybody tried it?
Jon.
rsjon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Punto443 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:00 am

It's more commonly accepted that most tddi can run any quality aftermarket filter, but if unsure of the correct micron rating for the tdci? That a genuine tdci filter should be used form ford. :D
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:33 pm

One would assume a finer filter would stop more crud but still let the fuel through, but that's just my theory. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rsjon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 am

Many thanks for your replies.
On reflection I agree that a finer filter should still be designed to let fuel through!
Therefore I will try a TDCi filter on my TDDi engine at next change.
Jon. :D
rsjon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MK7 user » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:24 pm

I think you are over filtering a system that doesn't need it. :wink:

The vast majority of issues with Mk6 tddi pumps are with the electronics, not the mechanical components of the pump & Injectors....the tdci filter should cost more for no benefit. :)
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Punto443 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of a mk6 pump failing mechanically ever?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby rsjon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:11 am

I agree, 2 micron filter on TDDi is overkill, but I have a surplus box of them lying around....

Jon.
rsjon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:42 am

If you want to donate one to a poor mk6 tdci owner I'll happily accept :lol: N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Punto443 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a mk6 pump failing mechanically ever?

I've had a few in :wink: Ford released a TSB for it. :idea:

8/31/05 Engine undershooting to a stop, lack of power resulting in reduced top speed, hesitation or failure to start
42/2005 Should a customer express concern about the engine undershooting to a stop, lack of power resulting in reduced top speed or failure to start, one of the the probable causes is cam plate failure in the Bosch VP30 fuel injection pump, caused by contamination of the fuel system. To rectify this concern, a new fuel injection pump, fuel injectors and high pressure fuel supply lines should be installed, the fuel system thoroughly cleaned and a fuel additive should be used.
Failures will occur due to: Water in fuel. The capacity of the water trap in the fuel filter is around 100ml. Should a poor fuel quality supply be used or service intervals missed, the water trap will become inadequate. The water in the fuel will cause corrosion inside the fuel injection pump and lack of lubrication, which will lead to damage of the highly loaded cam plate and cam plate rollers. Petrol in the fuel. The cam plate and cam plate rollers being the highest loaded components in the fuel system need good lubrication, hence if petrol is in the fuel, wear of all components needing lubrication will occur. Failure of the cam plate can also lead to failure of the fuel injection pump front seal. This will allow diesel fuel to enter the sump and potentially cause catastrophic engine damage.
If the regular service intervals have not been maintained, use of a poor quality fuel supply (such as a customers own fuel storage system), or petrol in the fuel suspected, the warranty claim must be rejected. This bulletin does not remove the necessity for prior approval when installing a new fuel injection pump (where necessary). Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are not always generated by this concern except in some instances where there is also a pump timing code. When installing a new fuel injection pump, the old pump must be returned in accordance with TSB 98/2004.

Listed here with the rest :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=154710#p1304317 8)
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:13 am

paul2012 wrote:
Punto443 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a mk6 pump failing mechanically ever?

I've had a few in :wink: Ford released a TSB for it. :idea:

8/31/05 Engine undershooting to a stop, lack of power resulting in reduced top speed, hesitation or failure to start
42/2005 Should a customer express concern about the engine undershooting to a stop, lack of power resulting in reduced top speed or failure to start, one of the the probable causes is cam plate failure in the Bosch VP30 fuel injection pump, caused by contamination of the fuel system. To rectify this concern, a new fuel injection pump, fuel injectors and high pressure fuel supply lines should be installed, the fuel system thoroughly cleaned and a fuel additive should be used.
Failures will occur due to: Water in fuel. The capacity of the water trap in the fuel filter is around 100ml. Should a poor fuel quality supply be used or service intervals missed, the water trap will become inadequate. The water in the fuel will cause corrosion inside the fuel injection pump and lack of lubrication, which will lead to damage of the highly loaded cam plate and cam plate rollers. Petrol in the fuel. The cam plate and cam plate rollers being the highest loaded components in the fuel system need good lubrication, hence if petrol is in the fuel, wear of all components needing lubrication will occur. Failure of the cam plate can also lead to failure of the fuel injection pump front seal. This will allow diesel fuel to enter the sump and potentially cause catastrophic engine damage.
If the regular service intervals have not been maintained, use of a poor quality fuel supply (such as a customers own fuel storage system), or petrol in the fuel suspected, the warranty claim must be rejected. This bulletin does not remove the necessity for prior approval when installing a new fuel injection pump (where necessary). Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are not always generated by this concern except in some instances where there is also a pump timing code. When installing a new fuel injection pump, the old pump must be returned in accordance with TSB 98/2004.

Listed here with the rest :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=154710#p1304317 8)

Since the diesel fuel provides the lubrication, then continued 'cranking' following a 'vehicle run out of fuel scenario', could also cause cam plate/cam roller failure.

Like yourself Paul, seen a number of this type of cam plate failure with Bosch VE/VP series pumps over the years, normally attributable as in this TSB to 'poor component lubrication'. The cam plate 'drive peg' is designed to sheer should the plunger seize, but continued 'cranking' following the failure often results in swarf entering the Roller Ring and causing further damage to the pump case.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits