*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 RWD 'bearing' noise?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 RWD 'bearing' noise?

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 am

During my recent trip to France for a bit of trail riding the Jumbo has developed a road speed whine/rumble - I say that, but in hindsight it's always been there in the background since I bought it.

As it went away when turning left I put it down to a front wheel bearing, but having spent most of yesterday getting it apart to change the bearing I'm a bit miffed to find it's not the wheel bearing :(

Giving it some thought it sounds a bit like a Landy does with chunky offroad tyres, but with a sort of strobing effect. I checked the tyre and it looks good, no out of round, no odd wear pattern, etc. Would have swapped the wheels around but time to get the bearing out of the upright, and getting the other wheel nuts undone meant I couldn't be arsed.

Could it be the gearbox rear bearing? The seal does leak a bit, but the noise doesn't change with driveline load, but does when braking. And not forgetting the turning left thing .....

Right front bearing going quiet under load?

Had a similar thing with my Smiley that I never did solve, that was load related. Normal load it howled like buggery, lighter or heavier it was gone.

Any ideas?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits