*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Preventing rust in foot well mk7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Preventing rust in foot well mk7

Postby hotelpapa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi,

Just checked out the foot well / door step after seeing some horrible examples on this forum. Luckily there were just some tiny spots with rust, so I've sanded them down and had some epoxy (brunox) on it. I'll paint it later.

So does anyone have some tips on what I should do to prevent it from rusting or how to stop water entering that area? Should I spray the whole area with something?

Attached photo is of the good side. The drivers side had some more rust, especially under the rubber list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hotelpapa

Re: Preventing rust in foot well mk7

Postby ned » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:50 pm

As its under the plastic you could cover it in stone chip and under seal the underside. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NickJ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 pm

My mk6 had the same problem only it had rotted through on the passenger side. I think the problem is the plastic step cover. Once moisture gets through for what ever reason its trapped.

I'm not putting the plastic trim back and will be making some sort of tread board from wood with air gaps.

Mines gonna be a camper so there will be plenty of wood anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hotelpapa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Yea, poor engineering :/

Im thinking about using butyl tape along the outer sides of the plastic cover, to stop water to get behind the cover. But it would've been nice covering the bay with something. Never heard of stone chip..? :/

Also building a camper btw! So the van is going to see some milder usages compared to an average workers transit van:P
hotelpapa

Postby ned » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NickJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:39 am

hotelpapa wrote:Yea, poor engineering :/

Im thinking about using butyl tape along the outer sides of the plastic cover, to stop water to get behind the cover. But it would've been nice covering the bay with something. Never heard of stone chip..? :/

Also building a camper btw! So the van is going to see some milder usages compared to an average workers transit van:P

Yeah its going to be a camper. Which is proving challenging being that the van cost me £300.

Currently doing a ton of welding on the inner wings and anywhere else I can find a hole.

Its a 2002 swb which is going to be my "car" so its gonna see some mileage still but I'm figuring at only just 100k theres plenty left if i keep on top of the work.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby olympia5776 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Any water ingress will end up down there . I had a leak for some time before I discovered it was the new screen fitted ......
I dried out that area and treated any rust found and then slightly further enlarged the two drain slits pressed into the channel just inside the door seal flange . The surface was then painted with 3 coats of Zinc 182 and a couple of coats of good old Aldi white metal paint ( Smoothrite by another name ) . Once dry I liberally brushed waxoyl over the surface and refitted the cover .
I " think " water can find it's way to that step from the top of the chassis leg inside the engine bay passed the utterly stupid foam in a bag bungs .
The drainage routes are bizzare in a MK6/7 . I have water dripping out of the first drain hole on the sill under that S step all the time but cannot find where it is coming from ......
HTH' s
olympia5776
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hotelpapa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Cheers for the replies..

I ended up just using some Brunox were it had started to rust, after removing most of the rust ofc. Then i'll just use some primer and lastly paint. Might add some butyl seal along the edges as well.. Then i'll see how it looks when the winter is over :P

Anyway, I see that the weather strip might need a replacement. Anyone know where I can buy this part? Tried looking on eBay, but can't seem to find it for the MK7.

I think this is the right part numbers: 1555296 and 1431919

Maybe it's just as good cutting away the rusty part and add some fresh rubber seal instead of replacing the whole thing?
hotelpapa

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits