*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New starter, still won't start

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: New starter, still won't start

Postby ned » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:39 pm

So your back up and running now, fantastic result. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MacLeodHeating » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 pm

nedforceone wrote:So your back up and running now, fantastic result. N

I sure am. Thanks for the input. Must remember about mounting it on the kerb if I need underneath, top tip.

Thanks again.
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:03 pm

The flywheel ring has teeth all the way around except tdc or btdc where there's a few teeth missing.
The crank sensor is magnetic and so when the flywheel spins around the gap causes a spike if you think of ecg machine or sine wave whatever, this is needed for ignition timing.

The cam sensor is a reference for the camshafts obviously and when it is in sync with the crank sensor it means that the engine is timed up and no damage or problem between the crank and cams.(if there was a miss match then it would tell the pcm and it would shut down, reason is that the pistons come up and the valves go up, wrong timing and the pistons come up with valves down and boom).

I would be interested to see what your old crank sensor looked like, i wonder if it was covered in metal bits which could stop it working correctly?

Btw the crank sensor would need to get first reference for the engine to work.
A faulty crank sensor short or wiring surely would throw a fault code?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:10 pm

loot wrote:The flywheel ring has teeth all the way around except tdc or btdc where there's a few teeth missing.
The crank sensor is magnetic and so when the flywheel spins around the gap causes a spike if you think of ecg machine or sine wave whatever, this is needed for ignition timing.

The cam sensor is a reference for the camshafts obviously and when it is in sync with the crank sensor it means that the engine is timed up and no damage or problem between the crank and cams.(if there was a miss match then it would tell the pcm and it would shut down, reason is that the pistons come up and the valves go up, wrong timing and the pistons come up with valves down and boom).

I would be interested to see what your old crank sensor looked like, i wonder if it was covered in metal bits which could stop it working correctly?

It wont flag up a code Loot when its too far away from the flywheel as the sensor isn't faulty :wink: Just another booby trap to wreck your head :roll: I have also seen them not to flag up even though the sensor is kaput :twisted:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Ok so we want to look in data logger and get a sine wave record of the crank sensor while turning over the engine and also sync.
I've never needed to look too much into it tbh.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby v8dave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:01 pm

loot wrote:Ok so we want to look in data logger and get a sine wave record of the crank sensor while turning over the engine and also sync.

Don't think vcm can do it through datalogger, think you need vmm and the oscilloscope module.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby loot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm

v8dave wrote:
loot wrote:Ok so we want to look in data logger and get a sine wave record of the crank sensor while turning over the engine and also sync.

Don't think vcm can do it through datalogger, think you need vmm and the oscilloscope module.

Joking? :-(
Little video camera icon?
What you say does make sense tho, ah well.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby MacLeodHeating » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:17 pm

loot wrote:The flywheel ring has teeth all the way around except tdc or btdc where there's a few teeth missing.

What you said is what I had I my head, so I am picking up on some stuff! So is the crank sensor 'monitoring' all the time or only when engine turning? If it's all the time, then the van wouldn't run, right? Does the cam sensor 'take over' when van running, and this is how van would run perfectly when skooshed with easy start?
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MacLeodHeating » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:18 pm

MacLeodHeating wrote:

What you said is what I had I my head, so I am picking up on some stuff! So is the crank sensor 'monitoring' all the time or only when engine turning? If it's all the time, and it's faulty, then the van wouldn't run, right? Does the cam sensor 'take over' when van running, and this is how van would run perfectly when skooshed with easy start?
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:26 pm

It's hard to say, the easy start bypasses the fuel system and injectors momentarily and while the engine is spinning faster it may be getting more power and then the pcm picks up the crank sensor, whether or not it is monitoring the sensor always i don't know but it is hall effect so it would make sense that although by its nature it will report a signal all the time but the pcm is only interested in the peak which tells it that it is tdc/btdc and turns on the rest and more importantly tells the injectors to squirt :-)

Personally i would have only thought it was the crank sensor if it was Dirty rather than broken but then it is acceptable that that would be the case also.

Imo a knackered crank sensor won't let an engine run(ongoing) whether on easy start or not.
Any how, it seems you've sorted it so it's a result :D
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby MacLeodHeating » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Yeah all sorted, just trying to further my understanding. I'm relating it to when a boiler fires up, it all happens in a sequence - pump, fan, air pressure switch, gas valve, ignition. If an element of the start up is missing, it locks out and throws up a fault code. There must be a similar type sequence with engines.
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:47 pm

It only needed pushed in a little as the air gap was wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide , nice one mate glad it's back on the road
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MacLeodHeating » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:53 pm

andz327 wrote:It only needed pushed in a little as the air gap was wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide , nice one mate glad it's back on the road

So the mechanic who did the timing chain kit has done me over by not setting it in the right place, meaning I was stuck outside the Savoy hotel on a Friday afternoon and had to join the AA and pay them £99 call out charge, all for the sake of slackening a bolt, pushing a bit of plastic and tightening bolt up again??!!
B*#~ard!

Rant over.

Night y'all.
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MacLeodHeating » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:05 am

Started first turn this morning with no trouble. Bloody cold too! Problem solved I'd say.
MacLeodHeating
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits