*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Failure - Disgusted by Ford

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Engine Failure - Disgusted by Ford

Postby 504329lt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:47 am

I own a Hymer motorhome based on a Transit 2.2 Mk 7. Vehicle was first registered in November 2013 in Germany. I purchased the vehicle in February 2015 from Hymer. It currently has < 30,000 miles.

We were touring eastern Europe this summer when engine lost power in Ukraine. Recovery was called and we were taken to a Ford dealership who undertook diagnostics and stated that there was zero compression in one of the cylinders and that a new engine may be required. On this news I called Ford in York to ask for advice and was told that they had seen several Mk 7 engines that have developed holes / cracks in the pistons.

We were flown home and vehicle repatriated to UK where it arrived 5 weeks later delivered to our local Ford dealership (York).

I explained what had happened and was told that it was the dual mass flyheel which would be replaced under warranty. I questioned the diagnosis and was told that the cylinders had been tested and were fine. After a week or so I was told that the flywheel had been replaced and that the previous one had seized but, surprise surprise there was a problem with misfiring and smoking. Furthermore because the van was purchased in Germany it only had a two year warranty as opposed to three years. The garage would honour the cost of the flywheel change but future works would require payment; furthermore it was the considered opinion that a replacement engine was required.

Further to this I wrote to Ford UK and explained that I was very concerned that a vehicle of this age and mileage could suffer such a potentially catastrophic failure. This has gone round in circles for a few weeks between Ford UK and the dealership's manager and the following has now been ascertained;

1. Despite what I had been told, the dual mass flywheel has never been changed
2. Despite what I had been told, compression tests had not been carried out

After a period of 4 weeks they have finally undertaken what I suggested the day they took delivery of the van and have responded thus;

Cylinder One - 0 Bar
Cylinder Two - 16 Bar
Cylinder Three - 15.7 Bar
Cylinder Four - 16 Bar

Specifications are 15 .5 Bar and above

As you can see there is no compression on Cylinder One and Low on Cylinder Three.

Therefore this would suggest either a cracked Piston or Hole in Piston.

We have Two Choices to Proceed with this repair as you are aware form the conversations with *******.

1 - Remove and strip engine to conclude further investigations - Estimate Max of £1512 INC VAT

2 - Replace complete Engine Assembly - Estimate Max of - £7200 INC VAT

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. Please bare in mind if you go for the Strip to Investigate this will add on to the replacement engine Bill

I am absolutely furious at this given what I was told about holes in pistons back in August!
504329lt

Re: Engine Failure - Disgusted by Ford

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 am

Has it been serviced by a Ford dealer?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=163879&hilit=Piston+recall
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 504329lt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Garage state that recall on ECU is not relevant for this vehicle.
504329lt

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 pm

does that mean no it hasn't btw ?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MK7 user » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear your tale of woe buddy. :(

The above post points you to the fact that holed/cracked pistons are a known issue....if the software update has not been done on your vehicle there will be an "Outstanding Field Service Action" listed in Ford Etis....if you post the VIN number I'll be more than happy to check it....it's not unknown for a vehicle to have dealership servicing & still not had the software update completed.

There's not much we can say about the incompetence of Ford Franchised Dealerships....you sometimes have to experience it to believe it....if you visit a "good one" you'll be in a distinct minority class. :shock:

EDIT: Oh....I must of had a nap typing this....there's been other posts. :oops:

EDIT2: I don't think the software update is applicable to the 155ps....is that yours?
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 pm

put your chassis number in here and it will tell you if it has any thing outstanding boss
kk
Allcock
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:52 pm

your too slow today Allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:11 pm

504329lt wrote:Garage state that recall on ECU is not relevant for this vehicle.

That isn't what I asked.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 504329lt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi

I have checked ETIS and cannot see any recalls. This is also what garage has stated.

VIN is WF07XXTTF7CB50304

Thanks
504329lt

Postby MK7 user » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Airight buddy. :D

So your van is a FWD 140ps with a build date of Jan 2012 that is not effected by the factory recall for piston software.

You've purchased it in Feb 2015, by which time there will have been a fair few software calibrations installed at dealership level on a routine service....how many dealership services has the van had & have Ford UK stated that the factory warranty (from first registration - Nov 2013) is only 2 years, or is that just bullshit from the Incompetent dealership you have been unfortunate enough to choose. :twisted:

This doesn't detract from the fact that whatever the route cause of the problem is (crap pistons/shite software or both) there will be a "Corporate Arse Wipe" in Ford UK looking to steer clear of any liability & a Parasite at dealership level with "Business Acumen" looking to turn a good profit.

It's a personal opinion....they want shagging with a wire brush & I hope they get it sooner rather than later. :idea:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 504329lt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:16 pm

MK7 user wrote:Airight buddy. :D

So your van is a FWD 140ps with a build date of Jan 2012 that is not effected by the factory recall for piston software.

You've purchased it in Feb 2015, by which time there will have been a fair few software calibrations installed at dealership level on a routine service....how many dealership services has the van had & have Ford UK stated that the factory warranty (from first registration - Nov 2013) is only 2 years, or is that just bullshit from the Incompetent dealership you have been unfortunate enough to choose. :twisted:

This doesn't detract from the fact that whatever the route cause of the problem is (crap pistons/shite software or both) there will be a "Corporate Arse Wipe" in Ford UK looking to steer clear of any liability & a Parasite at dealership level with "Business Acumen" looking to turn a good profit.

It's a personal opinion....they want shagging with a wire brush & I hope they get it sooner rather than later. :idea:

The warranty start date is from November 2013 and I purchased from Hymer in Germany in Feb 2015 and now know it has a two year warranty up to November 2015. It has a Ford stamp from Germany in Service book. Van was recalled in November 2015 to Ford dealership in UK for oil pump change so would have been checked then. Accord to dealer and ETIS there is no recall on the piston software.
504329lt

Postby MK7 user » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:58 pm

504329lt wrote: Van was recalled in November 2015 to Ford dealership in UK for oil pump change so would have been checked then.

The 140ps FWD & 155ps RWD Euro V were not affected by the piston recall....when the van was recalled for the oil pump, what do you "think" would have been check over & above the oil pump :?:

Why a 2 year warranty when a UK registered vehicle has 3 years :?:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 pm

3 year warranty only applies to U.K. Supplies and registered vehicles.
Other European territories have shorter warranties

If it's never been serviced by a Ford dealer in your ownership you have zero chance of a claim from Ford.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby V184 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 pm

i had piston recall on a 155, funny thing 2000 miles after it being done it started rattling :shock: the euro/irish models used to be 2 years unlimited mileage warranty :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pwhooftman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:57 pm

There have been dozens and dozens of cases just like yours. Ford tries to make customers believe the fault lies in motormanagement software, bad injectors (they make their customers have them checked at their own expense!), low quality fuel, diesel fungus, bad servicing while in reality the cause is weak pistons. One motorhome company in the Netherlands has even stopped selling second hand 2.2 Tdci Transit Motorhome, serviced & updated or not.
I've read somewhere that a German firm sells reconditioned engines with stronger pistons with a 10 year warranty.
Ford Transit Mk6 (2001) 2.4 Tddi 120 PS RWD twin wheel motorhome, tickled by Vantuner :D
pwhooftman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits