*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 TD 140 loss of power and then good again.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 TD 140 loss of power and then good again.

Postby myrebuilder » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi all.
I just sold my old 1998 transit luton buletproof workhorse and bought a 2007 2.4TD 140 luton van. I was driving 100 miles today and at some point the yellow light with the gear and ! inside the gear (in the tach) came on and I felt that the accelerator was not responding as before. I went by the side of the road and shut the engine off. After 5 min I started the van and the light was off and the power was fine for the majority of the trip. When I reached the town and stopped at a stop light, the van would bearly pull itself even when I was flooring the accelerator. As I was changing gears it wiuld behave a little better until I stopped for a bit. Then again when I started it up it was fine with all its original power. Is that a PRV fault or something else?
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.4 TD 140 loss of power and then good again.

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:25 pm

If the powertrain light came on, you'll have fault codes stored....you'll need to get the codes read before throwing parts and money at it.

I'm guessing EGR or possibly PRV & SCV...but getting the codes will help diagnose the problem.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby GeoffElett » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello from New Zealand. My '02 LWB van problem is somewhat similar: Temperature gauge reads well less than half with normal running but pulling heavy loads uphill increases the temperature (naturally) rather rapidly and brings an associated significant loss of power, to the point where a change down is necessary. It struggles even then but next the temperature gauge falls rapidly and that brings power return to normal - until it eventually bogs down again in that gear and the same exercise is repeated. Can anyone say with all confidence WHAT component is creating this problem?
GeoffElett

Postby GeoffElett » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:11 am

Very disappointed to have no response from the forum on this issue. C'mon guys, get with it, please.
PS There is no warning light coming on when the problem occurs.
GeoffElett

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 am

GeoffElett wrote:Very disappointed to have no response from the forum on this issue. C'mon guys, get with it, please.
PS There is no warning light coming on when the problem occurs.

This particular thread is for a Mk7 140 TDCi.....you have a Mk6 and probably a TDDi, which is a different animal with a different engine, different fuel system etc... with a totally different issue.

I think it's best if you start a new thread with your problem.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby myrebuilder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 am

Sorry for the late answer.
I just changed the fuel filter and everything was magically sorted!
Thanks for all you help and comments.
Now I have another strange problem. Please see my new post.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits